UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2020 Football - A Look Ahead

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Interesting article; another view on how things could play out.  However, if a regional format becomes reality, the new  home schedule would make for a less exciting. No Villanova, James Madison and Delaware.

Edited by cwdickens
Spelling

On 7/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, cwdickens said:

Interesting article; another view on how things could play out.  However, if a regional format becomes reality, the new  home schedule would make for a less exciting. No Villanova, James Madison and Delaware.

Article does not appear

I’m becoming more and more convinced that fall 2020 football is a speculative fantasy at best. When you layer the ramifications of travel restrictions and quarantines on top of all of the other problems it seems insurmountable to me. There’s also going to be revenue loss at the FCS level due to the guarantee games being cancelled left and right. The SEC, despite some hopeful talk, can’t seem to pull the trigger and they’ve got a lot more $ to lose. Two entire FCS leagues have quit on fall 2020 and lower level teams are shelving the season. Stanford is dropping 11 sports. There’s not much good news out there right now. 

11 hours ago, jimbo said:

I’m becoming more and more convinced that fall 2020 football is a speculative fantasy at best. When you layer the ramifications of travel restrictions and quarantines on top of all of the other problems it seems insurmountable to me. There’s also going to be revenue loss at the FCS level due to the guarantee games being cancelled left and right. The SEC, despite some hopeful talk, can’t seem to pull the trigger and they’ve got a lot more $ to lose. Two entire FCS leagues have quit on fall 2020 and lower level teams are shelving the season. Stanford is dropping 11 sports. There’s not much good news out there right now. 

AGREED

13 hours ago, jimbo said:

Yeah I'm resigned to the fact that we likely won't see fall or winter college sports this year.

I'm happy that at least Formula 1 has made it back so I have something to watch and I'm hoping for MotoGP and NBA soon.

Now we need to know what is going to happen to the tickets that many of us have paid for. I'm expecting them to be applied towards next year...but I'm also expecting a price hike next year to cover some of the losses of this year knowing Benson and co.

I got to thinking of how if a team played a game in one of the states on Cuomo’s quarantine list, would they have to stay out of all NY games for 2 weeks? Players couldn’t go home for visits or events if they lived in one of these states or they’d have to stay home for a NY game. 

Maybe they can practice and do some split squad scrimmages or games or spring game kind of activity. Or even skills competitions just to get a few fans involved and keep the players interests up. 

11 hours ago, jimbo said:

I got to thinking of how if a team played a game in one of the states on Cuomo’s quarantine list, would they have to stay out of all NY games for 2 weeks? Players couldn’t go home for visits or events if they lived in one of these states or they’d have to stay home for a NY game. 

Maybe they can practice and do some split squad scrimmages or games or spring game kind of activity. Or even skills competitions just to get a few fans involved and keep the players interests up. 

Jimbo, we rarely agree, but on this one i'm with you. it's going to be rough and it sucks, but this is the world we live in, for better or worse.  In a bizarre twist of fate, NYS is the place that COULD open up a host a little bit, especially upstate, but I doubt that's happening. Considering players have to quarantine if they come from high risk states, I imagine you are correct, that any travel to outside NY/NE states is going to be problematic.

WEAR A FRICKIN' MASK, PEOPLE!

9 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Jimbo, we rarely agree, but on this one i'm with you. it's going to be rough and it sucks, but this is the world we live in, for better or worse.  In a bizarre twist of fate, NYS is the place that COULD open up a host a little bit, especially upstate, but I doubt that's happening. Considering players have to quarantine if they come from high risk states, I imagine you are correct, that any travel to outside NY/NE states is going to be problematic.

WEAR A FRICKIN' MASK, PEOPLE!

We probably agree on way more than you think. And I do wear a mask whenever required or whenever social distancing can't be maintained. We have bottles of sanitizer in both cars we use when we come out of a store. We wash our hands a lot. We really limit who we see up close. I wipe down groceries with a sanitizing wipe. All that stuff.  I'm finding it very hard to get into any of the no spectator sports now showing. I've watched some PGA stuff and can sort of tolerate it. Watched a little Korean baseball the other day and listened to the commentators make fun of the pitcher, who threw a rainbow every now and then. The point being that after a 40mph rainbow he'd blow an 80 mph fastball by them that probably looked like a rocket. 

Oh, and I was just joking about Qanon....hope you know that. Not joking about Pelosi and Schiff. So now the country is coming apart at the seams, we have a pandemic, we have no sports to take our mind off of it and we get to watch a Presidential race between a Buffoon and a Brain addled dolt. I really wish they'd reanimate HHH or Patrick Moynihan or Ike or anyone other than who we have to chose from today. The great thing is that our illustrious governor, right from the start, realizing how big a $iena show this whole business was going to be, made wine and liquor stores essential businesses. It seems gun shops and booze emporiums are gonna come out of this smelling like roses! Hang in there.

Edited by jimbo
  • Haha 1