UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

19 hours ago, ctdanes said:

They should just put the best brawler they have for faceoffs against better teams. Can't expect to win giving fast breaks up off the rip. Itd be best to just slow their fogo down and hope for a gb

I thought Altimari was it but he is just not tough enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Jones can't hang onto the ball after he gets it.  The freshman looked pretty good when he got in their.  Long stick is just giving them the ball!!!!!!

18 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Finally thawed out.... During the Cornell 9 - 0 run, I felt the defense was standing around.  Of course, the lack of face off wins, did not help.  Disappointing afternoon.

Comes down to coaching!!  We need to hire a qualified, legitimate Defensive Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!  period!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ctdanes said:

Was obviously a rough game but not going to write the season off just yet. Have to see what adjustments they make next time out. Offensive firepower is there but theyll have to be a little more efficient if we're gonna lose the possession battle. I know it's not Albany style but maybe they should try to settle the ball more 

HAVE to win 50% of the faceoffs.  If we did in this game THIS would have been a different game!

After such a strong fall and preseason watching the game against Cornell was incredibly frustrating and disappointing. 

Marr needs to pick a fogo and give him a chance. His idea of putting a pole out for the faceoff and making it a 50-50 ground ball seems like a good idea in theory, but albany isnt a strong ground ball team thats going to win those ground balls. And on top of that it increases opponents chance for a fast break and an easy goal, which we saw often yesterday and last season. 

Its also time to move away from two middies, theres a reason why at least 95% of D1 doesnt play two way middies. Were making offensive guys play defense and its hurting the team more than its helping. Opposing teams target our SSDM every game and it works for them because its a huge hole in the defense. I know albany's identity is playing fast and pushing transition and that can still be accomplished without two way middies because of the poles we have, specifically Hay and Piseno. If we have dedicated SSDM who practice with the close defense week in and week out than maybe it will help with communication and slides which was an issue in yesterdays game and has been a problem for years. 

I'm not ready to give up on the season after one game especially when it looks like a couple changes can go a long way. At the same time I'm not sure the coaching staff will make any changes, Marr seems stuck in his ways.

12 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

After such a strong fall and preseason watching the game against Cornell was incredibly frustrating and disappointing. 

Marr needs to pick a fogo and give him a chance. His idea of putting a pole out for the faceoff and making it a 50-50 ground ball seems like a good idea in theory, but albany isnt a strong ground ball team thats going to win those ground balls. And on top of that it increases opponents chance for a fast break and an easy goal, which we saw often yesterday and last season. 

Its also time to move away from two middies, theres a reason why at least 95% of D1 doesnt play two way middies. Were making offensive guys play defense and its hurting the team more than its helping. Opposing teams target our SSDM every game and it works for them because its a huge hole in the defense. I know albany's identity is playing fast and pushing transition and that can still be accomplished without two way middies because of the poles we have, specifically Hay and Piseno. If we have dedicated SSDM who practice with the close defense week in and week out than maybe it will help with communication and slides which was an issue in yesterdays game and has been a problem for years. 

I'm not ready to give up on the season after one game especially when it looks like a couple changes can go a long way. At the same time I'm not sure the coaching staff will make any changes, Marr seems stuck in his ways.

Mike, Welcome to the blog. I really like your idea about dedicated defensive middies; even though it breaks my heart to say it. UA pretty much invented the two way middie idea and pretty much everyone else followed suit. Now, like you say 95% have gone away from it. With the shot clock, obviously the game has changed; and like you say Marr appears reluctant to change. Also, your one fogo comment has been expressed repeated on this blog.

Anyhow, welcome. You wouldn't by any chance be a defensive coach? UA seems to really need one.

22 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

Can't disagree