UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UMass - Amherst , Men's Lacrosse 03-03-2020 @ 3:00 PM

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Can someone explain with all the weapons UA has; WHY THE #%^ CAN’T THEY SCORE MAN-up or even two up????????

Poor ball movement and never get the defense rotating. That's why I made the earlier comment about this team being very susceptible to a zone. I would zone us all day long.

13 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

Incredibly frustrating

I've said it before, and it probably isn't popular, this is a poorly coached team.

Just look at how a player disappears and doesn't see the field one game and is in on the first or second rotation the next game?

There is just about zero accountability for certain players. Seeing the same mistakes, over, and over, and over again. That is the on the coaches.

The defensive philosophy or lack therefor is horrible. I know a lot of people are banging on Kunz, but a lot of what you guys are seeing is how he is being asked to play. It was the same with Perla last year. It was horrible live, and I am not sure I can stomach watching it if LSN archives games.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

That goes for everyone commenting.  If you are a true fan or played for Albany you should have no problem saying who you are.  If you know nothing about the sport or are a parent of a kid who can’t get it done then you can hide behind your username.  

Luke Daquino - nothing to hide from

• Thanks 1

Just now, Luke D said:

That goes for everyone commenting.  If you are a true fan or played for Albany you should have no problem saying who you are.  If you know nothing about the sport or are a parent of a kid who can’t get it done then you can hide behind your username.  

Luke Daquino - nothing to hide from

Hey Luke - sorry you feel that way. I don't call out players like many on this forum.  What I have said is that I don't like players being put in positions where they can't play to their potential. What do you disagree with? In fact I was defending a player who was getting ripped because I don't think the poster understands what the player is being asked to do.

This team has not been prepared to play. I am not sure how you can dispute this? We don't play good team defense, we don't face off well, we are not good at ground balls, and our man up offense isn't very good either. I don't say player X is horrible, or anything remotely like that. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I've said it before, and it probably isn't popular, this is a poorly coached team.

Just look at how a player disappears and doesn't see the field one game and is in on the first or second rotation the next game?

There is just about zero accountability for certain players. Seeing the same mistakes, over, and over, and over again. That is the on the coaches.

The defensive philosophy or lack therefor is horrible. I know a lot of people are banging on Kunz, but a lot of what you guys are seeing is how he is being asked to play. It was the same with Perla last year. It was horrible live, and I am not sure I can stomach watching it if LSN archives games.

This is close to a mutiny.

This team needs assistant coaches who have experience 

Luke I’m 70,never played or coached lacrosse, neither have my sons; so I guess it is ok for me to post anonymously. And I think you are out of line asking 2018 to reveal himself and his son. He should enjoy the same anonymity as ALL posters on this blog. Anyhow, I enjoyed watching you play in your day!

Appreciate your support of the program.  Just wish people had the respect and courage to judge and criticize openly.  Nobody is forcing these people to play at Albany.  If they aren’t happy with the coaches and the program they should either not play or transfer.  The negativity from father to son is contagious and only hurts the team.  The reason I say to own what you say and say who you are is because the people ripping the coaches are the same people shaking their hands and telling them what a great job they’re doing when they are face to face.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Luke D said:

Appreciate your support of the program.  Just wish people had the respect and courage to judge and criticize openly.  Nobody is forcing these people to play at Albany.  If they aren’t happy with the coaches and the program they should either not play or transfer.  The negativity from father to son is contagious and only hurts the team.  The reason I say to own what you say and say who you are is because the people ripping the coaches are the same people shaking their hands and telling them what a great job they’re doing when they are face to face.  

Luke, appreciate your comments and I mean that with total sincerity. This venue is a way for many of us to vent, regardless of our affiliation, and if anyone had been at the game yesterday everyone's ears would have been burning. Not snide comments directed at the coaches or any players, but many of the sentiments I read from the in game comments from other posters were being expressed in real time. Whether or not the comments are correct, partially correct, or totally off base, the stats are what the stats are.

In his own very professional way, even Mike at the home broadcasts has highlighted a lot of this. I did watch the replay and the LSN commentator talked about the hedging on defense which was creating offense for UMass. That is what I was referring to in how Perla was getting beat up about last year by many posters. Kunz appears to be playing that defensive role this year, and he is being asked to do a lot, and while trying to do a lot he is often caught out of position. Both are and were very, very good players being asked to do a very difficult thing. And no I am not related to either Matt or Stephen, but have a ton of respect for their games. 

To allay you fears, I never talk with any of the boys about anything lacrosse related other than supporting them and the team with food and a loud supporting voice from the stands. I am also not one of those parents who communicates, talks, or pats on the back any of the coaches. You are correct that does happen. As I am sure you can appreciate all of the players need to stand or fall on their own efforts and merits.

It appears some guys got comfortable with things, and I for one am happy to see many of the freshmen seeing early playing time. If you have read anything I have written I was an early advocate for some of them to play early and they would be integral to the success of the team going forward. 

13 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Poor ball movement and never get the defense rotating. That's why I made the earlier comment about this team being very susceptible to a zone. I would zone us all day long.

Been that way for years now....

58 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Luke, appreciate your comments and I mean that with total sincerity. This venue is a way for many of us to vent, regardless of our affiliation, and if anyone had been at the game yesterday everyone's ears would have been burning. Not snide comments directed at the coaches or any players, but many of the sentiments I read from the in game comments from other posters were being expressed in real time. Whether or not the comments are correct, partially correct, or totally off base, the stats are what the stats are.

In his own very professional way, even Mike at the home broadcasts has highlighted a lot of this. I did watch the replay and the LSN commentator talked about the hedging on defense which was creating offense for UMass. That is what I was referring to in how Perla was getting beat up about last year by many posters. Kunz appears to be playing that defensive role this year, and he is being asked to do a lot, and while trying to do a lot he is often caught out of position. Both are and were very, very good players being asked to do a very difficult thing. And no I am not related to either Matt or Stephen, but have a ton of respect for their games. 

To allay you fears, I never talk with any of the boys about anything lacrosse related other than supporting them and the team with food and a loud supporting voice from the stands. I am also not one of those parents who communicates, talks, or pats on the back any of the coaches. You are correct that does happen. As I am sure you can appreciate all of the players need to stand or fall on their own efforts and merits.

It appears some guys got comfortable with things, and I for one am happy to see many of the freshmen seeing early playing time. If you have read anything I have written I was an early advocate for some of them to play early and they would be integral to the success of the team going forward. 

I am one who vents a LOT during the games.  It is frustrating as heck to KNOW that most of our lack of success is do to FO and lack of ground balls, close D looks bad a lot BUT if we got FO wins and / or ground balls off the faceoffs they would not have so much pressure on them.  I know it is very difficult to play as much as they did yesterday and win - they get very worn down in the 4th Q - as we all saw yesterday.  Despite ALL OF THE OTHER ISSUES THAT WE ALL HIGHLIGHT we were in the game until that wear started showing..  Anyone who watches has to be happy that the young guys are getting lots of time - that will mean great things going forward I think.    The big thing for me with Kuntz is being caught flat footed he does NOT move laterally well at all - doesn't matter if he is out front or on the corner - giving up a lateral step or two to any attack on any team we play leads directly to a goal. That is not a function of being asked to do too much in my mind. Others have had the same thing happen - ALL defenders do from time to time - as I said last week attack kids are quick as hell and are not easy to defend.  BUT it is a glaring issue.  I have no idea how to help him.

The offense seems out of sinq frequently - It is obvious that they start to feel pressured to stay in the game and score.  Dumb mistakes continue - I think partially because of this.

Luke, by the way.  As I stated after the last game - I did not play.  I graduated HS before you were a twinkle.  Was not offered at my school in the Binghamton area, others from that area did and do play still.  My son played locally - graduated U A in 1999 [or 8 - can't remember - year before Marr] - he played locally and was an All-league Long Stick Close D - one of the the First local players to make the Syracuse team as an unrecruited walk on. He transferred to UA that Dec and started at Close D until graduation  I have watched a LOT of lacrosse. Am not an expert on Off or Def - BUT one does learn some things over the years.  I coached HS kids for 25 years in FB.  That does give one some insight into some things about kids playing sports.

12 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

This team needs assistant coaches who have experience 

Mike - true but money is an issue - it was discussed last year on this forum. 

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

By The Way.  I do not think we should start attacking each other - happens on the FB threads - to the point where I called a couple of guys out!! 

• Like 1

All good and wonderful statements and I understand that the culture of hiding behind anonymous threads can’t be changed.  A lot of what you guys say is very true.  Just seems the same type of people seem to gravitate towards these forums and for the most part become negative threads attacking good peoples livelihoods.  Myself and every alumni worth anything will stand behind Coach Marr forever.  That loyalty goes way beyond the lacrosse field for all of us.  I believe that understanding is why people don’t post their names.   

• Like 3