UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UMass - Amherst , Men's Lacrosse 03-03-2020 @ 3:00 PM

3 hours ago, Luke D said:

Appreciate your support of the program.  Just wish people had the respect and courage to judge and criticize openly.  Nobody is forcing these people to play at Albany.  If they aren’t happy with the coaches and the program they should either not play or transfer.  The negativity from father to son is contagious and only hurts the team.  The reason I say to own what you say and say who you are is because the people ripping the coaches are the same people shaking their hands and telling them what a great job they’re doing when they are face to face.  

By the way Luke. really appreciate you joining the blog. Love to have the expert analysis of former players. As I said I'm not an expert. I post opinions, frustrations and game reports, but ALWAYS include IMHO and ALWAYS welcome and encourage ALL others dissenting or otherwise.. So THANKS for your contributions and input.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 10:24 AM, Luke D said:

All good and wonderful statements and I understand that the culture of hiding behind anonymous threads can’t be changed.  A lot of what you guys say is very true.  Just seems the same type of people seem to gravitate towards these forums and for the most part become negative threads attacking good peoples livelihoods.  Myself and every alumni worth anything will stand behind Coach Marr forever.  That loyalty goes way beyond the lacrosse field for all of us.  I believe that understanding is why people don’t post their names.   

Luke >>   BY the way, I stood behind FB Coach Gatusso for a couple of years when he was losing - just coached for too long and played for too many years and know a lot about what goes on when coaching - I was personally attacked by several guys who had never played and were longtime FB fans.  Turned out I was right and they had to eat crow last year.  I have not attacked coach Marr, ever.  I do think it's time for him to, like I said, kick a couple of kids in their asses to get them going, maybe that's just a different philosophy about dealing with players.  Who am I or any of us to question what a coach does.  He knows the players better than any of us.  BTW, I do agree with comments about negativity permeating down the line.  I also understand kids complaining about not getting playing time when maybe they should not be getting time.  Actually those are reasons I left coaching HS kids years ago.  Parents and kids who can't cut it thinking they should be playing.   I have no clue whatever about who should or should not be playing except for observations about what I THINK are things that are hurting the team.  BUT what the heck do I know??????

Edited by HOF2013

Parents come and go every few years.  I’ve been through years and years and years of them and have had a blast with a good percentage of them in tailgates and other gatherings.  With that said, I would never sit with any parents during a game, especially with the higher rated players that have come in along the way.  The comments In the stands are a lot different than when this all started and so is the play for the most part.  Early days, kids would run through a brick wall to pick up a ground ball or stop someone from scoring.  Does anyone see that now?  Early days, there were no All Americans on the team; just blue collar kids with some/alot of craziness mixed in. Parents were all on board.  In addition, with the success over the years, more people have put on a purple sweatshirt and became “fans”. I don’t enjoy sitting next to them at games either.  Section 108 has been blocked off for lacrosse alumni for the cuse game and I wish they did that for every game.  With that said, Marr and Albany lacrosse Alumni have been around much longer than any set of parents or fans and that will continue.  During their brief stint in the grand scheme of things, I would hope that they don’t say too many negative things online.  I have plenty of thoughts on the current state of the team but wouldn’t post them on a website with parents or fans but section 108 will certainly hear about them and do.

On a player note though, and something to consider when playing time is being questioned when we see repeated mistakes, is what is that players ceiling?  It just might be that coaches are hoping to tap into the players full potential at some point instead of putting in a player that would never meet that.  Perfect example is tehoka.  Does he play the cleanest game?  No.  Does he score 5-6 goals?  Yes.  Are there kids on the bench that could do that? I don’t think so.  There’s a number of examples of this; Hay being another.  He could be impressive if it all comes together so we live with a few missed GBs although they hurt.

if I were on the team now and wanted to play, I would pick up every single ground ball in my vicinity and let the whole team hear about it when I did.  In a friendly way of course.

kevin Glueckert was an all Long Island football player who wasn’t Getting playing Time and He did something about it.  He learned how to face off and became probably the best one we had prior to TD, albeit for a short period.  Blue collar. If you are the best, you will play.

Last and this year were always about the conference So Let’s hope to see the team progress along the way and be ready for those games.  

13 hours ago, 518Lacrosse said:

Parents come and go every few years.  I’ve been through years and years and years of them and have had a blast with a good percentage of them in tailgates and other gatherings.  With that said, I would never sit with any parents during a game, especially with the higher rated players that have come in along the way.  The comments In the stands are a lot different than when this all started and so is the play for the most part.  Early days, kids would run through a brick wall to pick up a ground ball or stop someone from scoring.  Does anyone see that now?  Early days, there were no All Americans on the team; just blue collar kids with some/alot of craziness mixed in. Parents were all on board.  In addition, with the success over the years, more people have put on a purple sweatshirt and became “fans”. I don’t enjoy sitting next to them at games either.  Section 108 has been blocked off for lacrosse alumni for the cuse game and I wish they did that for every game.  With that said, Marr and Albany lacrosse Alumni have been around much longer than any set of parents or fans and that will continue.  During their brief stint in the grand scheme of things, I would hope that they don’t say too many negative things online.  I have plenty of thoughts on the current state of the team but wouldn’t post them on a website with parents or fans but section 108 will certainly hear about them and do.

On a player note though, and something to consider when playing time is being questioned when we see repeated mistakes, is what is that players ceiling?  It just might be that coaches are hoping to tap into the players full potential at some point instead of putting in a player that would never meet that.  Perfect example is tehoka.  Does he play the cleanest game?  No.  Does he score 5-6 goals?  Yes.  Are there kids on the bench that could do that? I don’t think so.  There’s a number of examples of this; Hay being another.  He could be impressive if it all comes together so we live with a few missed GBs although they hurt.

if I were on the team now and wanted to play, I would pick up every single ground ball in my vicinity and let the whole team hear about it when I did.  In a friendly way of course.

kevin Glueckert was an all Long Island football player who wasn’t Getting playing Time and He did something about it.  He learned how to face off and became probably the best one we had prior to TD, albeit for a short period.  Blue collar. If you are the best, you will play.

Last and this year were always about the conference So Let’s hope to see the team progress along the way and be ready for those games.  

Very well stated..........................not much else to say. Thanks for expressing thoughts some of us just don't for whatever the reason.   Playing right now is about conference play is exactly my thought when I mention the coach playing all the freshman and other youngsters a LOT.  It will help the team this year in conference play AND in moving forward.  I get very vocal on these threads because I bled purple.  Spent most of my adult life as a UA Alum and fan.  At this point twice as long as I lived BEFORE playing FB at UA.

Edited by HOF2013

15 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Luke >>   BY the way, I stood behind FB Coach Gatusso for a couple of years when he was losing - just coached for too long and played for too many years and know a lot about what goes on when coaching - I was personally attacked by several guys who had never played and were longtime FB fans.  Turned out I was right and they had to eat crow last year.  I have not attacked coach Marr, ever.  I do think it's time for him to, like I said, kick a couple of kids in their asses to get them going, maybe that's just a different philosophy about dealing with players.  Who am I or any of us to question what a coach does.  He knows the players better than any of us.  BTW, I do agree with comments about negativity permeating down the line.  I also understand kids complaining about not getting playing time when maybe they should not be getting time.  Actually those are reasons I left coaching HS kids years ago.  Parents and kids who can't cut it thinking they should be playing.   I have no clue whatever about who should or should not be playing except for observations about what I THINK are things that are hurting the team.  BUT what the heck do I know??????

Don't pat yourself to hard on the back...no one is eating crow. He deserved everything that came his way for losing over half a decade like it was his job. Unlike coach Marr or Will Brown, Gattuso had no history of success here and even then people were patient for 4+ years knowing it takes time to build a program. Go see 3 or 4 years ago how many people were on his case...spoiler alert, almost no one. Everyone always said if the losing changed, he'll get his props. He did! But still has a losing record at UA. Good thing it only took you 6 years to be right...lol. No one attacked your personally, 2 years ago I didn't know who you were until you started censuring peoples opinion like a gate-keeper. That, people didn't appreciate and no one was even talking to you at the time if we are being fair. 

There is no problem if you post..."Altimari is soft as hell [that was why he did not play last year]" but God forbid someone else posts anything negative about the sacred cow that is GG. It'll be the day anyone should take lectures from you on what and when to post. It's OK for you to rip kids in a sport you never played but the same courtesy doesn't apply to people who never played football?

Stop lecturing people on message board etiquette. 

Edited by Clickclack

9 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Don't pat yourself to hard on the back...no one is eating crow. He deserved everything that came his way for losing over half a decade like it was his job. Unlike coach Marr or Will Brown, Gattuso had no history of success here and even then people were patient for 4+ years knowing it takes time to build a program. Go see 3 or 4 years ago how many people were on his case...spoiler alert, almost no one. Everyone always said if the losing changed, he'll get his props. He did! But still has a losing record at UA. Good thing it only took you 6 years to be right...lol. No one attacked your personally, 2 years ago I didn't know who you were until you started censuring peoples opinion like a gate-keeper. That, people didn't appreciate and no one was even talking to you at the time if we are being fair. 

There is no problem if you post..."Altimari is soft as hell [that was why he did not play last year]" but God forbid someone else posts anything negative about the sacred cow that is GG. It'll be the day anyone should take lectures from you on what and when to post. It's OK for you to rip kids in a sport you never played but the same courtesy doesn't apply to people who never played football?

Stop lecturing people on message board etiquette. 

And here we go - one of the same losers attacking on a yet another thread.  Get an idea before attacking someone else.  Fact is fact buddy but I am not going to rehash your uneducated views on this thread too!!!!!   Comparing other sports to a FB program stepping up a level of competition is like comparing apples to rocks!!!!!  Being critical of certain players is what MANY do on these threads.  However, NOBODY else here has sunk to the level of attacking other guys who post here UNTIL NOW!  Crawl back under your rock and leave the rest of us alone.  

Edited by HOF2013

2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

And here we go - one of the same losers attacking on a yet another thread.  Get an idea before attacking someone else.  Fact is fact buddy but I am not going to rehash your uneducated views on this thread too!!!!!   Comparing other sports to a FB program stepping up a level of competition is like comparing apples to rocks!!!!!  Being critical of certain players is what MANY do on these threads.  However, NOBODY else here has sunk to the level of attacking other guys who post here UNTIL NOW!  Crawl back under your rock and leave the rest of us alone.  

I've said all that needed to be said.. Let me know if you need help reattaching your arm after you broke it off patting yourself on the back. I've never once I don't believe personally called any poster here a loser. But do tell how your the one attacked. 

Please don't lecture anyone on what they can or can't post with your posting history in this thread alone. It's embarrassing for you. 

Have a great night. 

Edited by Clickclack

47 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I've said all that needed to be said.. Let me know if you need help reattaching your arm after you broke it off patting yourself on the back. I've never once I don't believe personally called any poster here a loser. But do tell how your the one attacked. 

Please don't lecture anyone on what they can or can't post with your posting history in this thread alone. It's embarrassing for you. 

Have a great night. 

I have lectured NO ONE. I am  getting tired of being attacked by you on every thread I am posting on.  If you don't like what I say don't read it.  I do not like being lectured by a person who has no playing or coaching background in ANY sport.  Time for you to leave it be.........