UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

40 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

https://ausahoops.com/what-are-the-different-levels-of-college-basketball/ Here you go! I dont care whether you think america east basketball is something above what it is or not, like I said I like the lower level and the conference tournaments. They are one bid leagues not sure why thats hard to understand. 

Our own school is part of the 'official' mid-major rankings.

https://ualbanysports.com/news/2018/1/22/211693835.aspx

https://ualbanysports.com/news/2015/4/10/210015087.aspx

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/01/02/mid-major-basketball-focus-albany-great-danes/

https://dailygazette.com/article/2017/12/12/ualbany-men-s-basketball-no-4-in-mid-major-poll

Virtually everyone and their mother considers teams like Vermont (meaning US when we were winning 'chips), mid-major.

Edited by Eli

58 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Using gonzaga as an argument as the lone mid major team is ridiculous they are obviously the exception. 

Here is all of the traditional one-bid leagues.

https://www.letmebfrankblog.com/2020/01/22/a-look-at-the-one-bid-leagues-part-3/

We have:

Gonzaga (WCC)
Vermont (Am. East)
Louisiana Tech (C-USA)
Yale (Ivy)
Buffalo (MAC)
Northern Iowa (MVC)
Murray State (OVC)
Stephen F. Austin (Southland)
North Dakota State (Summit)

There are many more but I picked ones that are well known from each conference who have high RPI's and have made noise. All considered mid-majors.

You're wrong. Have a good day.

Edited by Eli

12 minutes ago, Eli said:

Again, as someone else already told you, Gonzaga is in a one-bid league. They aren't mid-major? Get out of here with this nonsense.

Mid-major status is dependent on things like RPI, etc. Not conference affiliation. When we were at our peak during the three-peat championships, along with Vermont, we were 100% mid-major. We've dropped back the last 5 years to being low-major due to per recruiting, but that's another painful topic for another day.

Eli, thank you for sharing this fact however with thoughts:  if your team is in the ACC, Big East, PAC-12, Big-10, Southeastern and a couple of other conferences no matter your RPI is at any given time, your are "MAJOR" team.  In basketball 🏀, for fan interest only a mid major poll has been published to give those teams outside the major conference something to feel good about.  the rise of the mid-major concept started.  We splitting hairs are about something that means little to the NCAA, it's winning your conference tournament followed by number of wins,  strength of schedule schedule and quality wins which adds up to RPI ratings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Eli, thank you for sharing this fact however with thoughts:  if your team is in the ACC, Big East, PAC-12, Big-10, Southeastern and a couple of other conferences no matter your RPI is at any given time, your are "MAJOR" team.  In basketball 🏀, for fan interest only a mid major poll has been published to give those teams outside the major conference something to feel good about.  the rise of the mid-major concept started.  We splitting hairs are about something that means little to the NCAA, it's winning your conference tournament followed by number of wins,  strength of schedule schedule and quality wins which adds up to RPI ratings.

Not sure what the point of your post is. No one is saying it should matter to the NCAA and no one is talking about high majors here.

The argument is that teams in one-bid leagues are low major and that simply is not true.

Edited by Eli

53 minutes ago, Eli said:

Not sure what the point of your post is. No one is saying it should matter to the NCAA and no one is talking about high majors here.

The argument is that teams in one-bid leagues are low major and that simply is not true.

Perhaps, I do not understand the point your are making.  Perhaps, neither one of us are saying anything meaningful.  However, Gonzaga is major team in an otherwise mid major conference.

@Eli while I appreciate your enthusiasm I will choose to disagree. Albany is not a mid major program, never has been, never will be. Again, atlantic ten, mac, wac, colonial , conference usa, etc. if your team has to win its conference tournament it is a low major one bid school. Appreciate the enthusiasm anyways. Not to break the bubble but ua is not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bball2020 said:

@Eli while I appreciate your enthusiasm I will choose to disagree. Albany is not a mid major program, never has been, never will be. Again, atlantic ten, mac, wac, colonial , conference usa, etc. if your team has to win its conference tournament it is a low major one bid school. Appreciate the enthusiasm anyways. Not to break the bubble but ua is not.

BBall2020: I know people are sick of reading this thread.  Esp on easter but can u answer me this . The colonial has had multiple teams in the tournament 1 time in 12 years . (Same amount as the MACC) How is that a mid major ? I asked this before and u choose to ignore it . Because by your own statements they are a low major team .(but you said they are midmajor)  Which is it ? 

Also conference USA has put 1 team in the ncaa tournament the last 7 years !!!!!!!!! Therefore how are they a midmajor ? 

In other words the winner of the conference tournament (CAA and Conference  USA) goes to the dance.  In other words a low major by your logic? But you said they were both a mid major ???? 

Please please please find a way to answer this one ? 

Edited by UA1882
  • Thanks 1

Oh wait there is more . The MAC has not put 2 teams in the ncaa tournament in like 20 years ? Which means they need to win their conference.  A low major right ? According to u ? 

I have a feeling you will ignore this one. Please tell me are a fan of UAlbany and not an alumni.  I know this is mean but I'm truly ashamed of your logic. 

@UA1882 obviously if a really good team from the colonial goes 26-4 but loses in the conference tournament they have a much higher chance of making the dance then say vermont or new hampshire. I dont want to insult my intelligence but I hope your kidding. The colonial and mac are much higher and better leagues then the America East.

Ken Pom conference rankings as of 1/19/2020

1.Big Ten

2.Big 12

3.Big East

4.ACC

5.SEC

6.Pac 12

7.American

8.A-10

9.West Coast

10,Mountain West

11.MAC

12.MVC

13.C-USA

14.Southern

15.Ivy

16.Sun Belt

17.CAA

18.Summit

19.Big Sky

20.Horizon

21.Big West

22.Patriot

23.WAC

24.MAAC

25.America East

26.Atlantic Sun

27.Ohio Valley

28.Northeast

29.Big South

30.Southland

31.SWAC

32.MEAC

A simple 1-32 ranking doesn’t tell you how far apart conferences are. I used to argue this with $iena fans when they’d say the MAAC was so superior to AE. Leagues 14 and 30 were as close as 1 and 6. It’s like the Power 6 conferences are generals, there are about five leagues that are lieutenants, and the other 20 are arguing over who deserves to be Private First Class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bball2020 said:

@eli ^^ thanks @Winter Warlock

Cool story bro? What is the point of that list as it relates to the topic at hand?

Repeating it for the nth time: NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT THE AE IS A MID-MAJOR CONFERENCE.

LOL.

EDIT: My money is on Bball2020 = Winter Warlock...

BewitchedJubilantBarasinga-size_restrict

Edited by Eli