UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

America East cancels Spring sports season

NCAA gives spring sport athletes extra year of eligibility

May depend on how much money each school has available. Also, willl seniors on partial scholarship be willing to put their life on hold plus pay for the coming fall semester before next spring's sports start? or could they drop out in the fall and re-enroll in January?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

May depend on how much money each school has available. Also, willl seniors on partial scholarship be willing to put their life on hold plus pay for the coming fall semester before next spring's sports start? or could they drop out in the fall and re-enroll in January?

Good questions: The COVID-19 pandemic has created issues beyond granting seniors that opportunity to compete for a final full year.  Rooster size may be a concern plus incoming freshmen and underclass players not having that opportunity for playing time that they had previously anticipated.  With the current job market, I see seniors as viewing this as an opportunity for graduate school with an opportunity to play in the spring.  The effect of the pandemic could linger for a couple years.

1 hour ago, UAalum72 said:

Tehoka did that a year and half ago if you remember.  Withdrew for the Fall and enrolled in Spring for Lax season.

11 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Good questions: The COVID-19 pandemic has created issues beyond granting seniors that opportunity to compete for a final full year.  Rooster size may be a concern plus incoming freshmen and underclass players not having that opportunity for playing time that they had previously anticipated.  With the current job market, I see seniors as viewing this as an opportunity for graduate school with an opportunity to play in the spring.  The effect of the pandemic could linger for a couple years.

A.D. Benson talked with Roger today about the NCAA allowing another year of eligibility for seniors.  Benson shared the concerns surrounding this issue including: impact on the athletic budget, rooster concerns and impact on current and incoming freshmen for playing time. 

Edited by cwdickens
Clarification

22 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Tehoka did that a year and half ago if you remember.  Withdrew for the Fall and enrolled in Spring for Lax season.

I'm betting or maybe just hoping that fall-ball might be expanded. Perhaps even making it a mini-season of sorts. Compensate for nearly a whole season missed. I recall college baseball in the northeast tried/experimented with a split fall-spring season. Don't remember why it was disbanded and I am pretty sure tennis and golf also have used such a format before.

Anyhow, an expanded fallball season would help teams get in game shape; after barely getting any real game experience this spring. I know practice is important; but nothing is like actually playing other competition for a teams development. ALL thoughts, opinions and objections welcomed! 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I'm betting or maybe just hoping that fall-ball might be expanded. Perhaps even making it a mini-season of sorts. Compensate for nearly a whole season missed. I recall college baseball in the northeast tried/experimented with a split fall-spring season. Don't remember why it was disbanded and I am pretty sure tennis and golf also have used such a format before.

Anyhow, an expanded fallball season would help teams get in game shape; after barely getting any real game experience this spring. I know practice is important; but nothing is like actually playing other competition for a teams development. ALL thoughts, opinions and objections welcomed! 

For lacrosse: I see fall practices as critical for player development; however I do not see any significant changes in fall scrimmages unless there are paying fans in the stands.  Until we get past this COVID-19 pandemic and it's impact on budgets, no one is looking to spend money.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:15 AM, UAalum72 said:

Good point made here: NCAA has offered no financial assistance to member schools; to support this change; individual schools will need to budget funds.

If TD Ierlan Graduates from Yale this Spring, by Ivy rule, he cannot play sports as a graduate student. I think this forum should lobby to recruit him back to Albany. He can have a Lebron moment and finish his career where it started... Like him or not, he was instrumental to the Danes run to the final four. He could make Albany a contender immediately!  He can also finish what he started...

• Like 2

UAlbany fans loved T.D. however; as I recalled one of the reasons for Yale was to seek a better educational experience that he did not find at UAlbany.  Our feelings were hurt when he announced his departure.  We can speculate; if Scott Marr and Benson has discussed this possibility and if fans and the team would welcome his return.

My thought: low possibility T.D.  returning to UAlbany.  College and pro metaphor does not come into play.  I willing to speculate T.D. has not considered this option.

Edited by cwdickens
Clarification

From Inside Lax article today. “I’m not going to play anywhere else,” said Ierlan, a 2019 Tewaaraton Trophy finalist. “If I play again, it’ll be at Yale.”

So let's move on. I did 2+ years ago--NO TD. Have two very highly touted fogo's coming in and I saw some good things from Danny Mastropaolo. IMHO Jones and Altamari need to move on also. Go with the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

From Inside Lax article today. “I’m not going to play anywhere else,” said Ierlan, a 2019 Tewaaraton Trophy finalist. “If I play again, it’ll be at Yale.”

So let's move on. I did 2+ years ago--NO TD. Have two very highly touted fogo's coming in and I saw some good things from Danny Mastropaolo. IMHO Jones and Altamari need to move on also. Go with the future.

T.D. expressed sentiments come as no surprise; he is a Yale Bull Dog.  No looking back!!  For us, let us move forward.

April 3, 2020: chilling at home with my family and dog,  social isolating, feeling blessed that my family is healthy however; thinking about the medical community and others on the front lines dealing with the COVID 19 pandemic.  The anticipation of the Syracuse and UAlbany Men's Lacrosse game has long faded.  Small sacrifice in these trying times.  Stay home, stay safe, stay healthy.

• Like 1