UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NJIT TO AMERICA EAST/POSERS TO CAA

4 hours ago, bob87 said:

I don't have a strong opinion either way but their website shows 10 men's teams, 7 womens.

Other than basketball / volleyball I don't know their facilities. Basketball arena  upgraded not that long ago. Baseball used to use the Newark independent ballpark which has been or in the process of being torn down

I stand corrected.  They did everything the AE asked.  They were at 4.  Added women’s sports.  Updating facilities.  Just spoke to a friend that is close to the program.  I am now flipped and think this is a welcome addition.  

3 hours ago, B9j2j6s said:

According to Google maps 2hrs 29 minutes from SEFCU to their events arena.  From a travel prespective not bad.  It would be the third shortest road trip the teams take in conference.  

Hartford 2 hrs

Bing 2 hrs 12 minutes

NJIT 2 hrs 29 minutes

UVM 2 hrs 58 minutes

UML 2 hrs 59 minutes

SBU 3 hrs 38 minutes

UNH 3 hrs 40 minutes 

UMBC 5 hrs 17 minutes 

Maine 6 hrs 1 minute 

Yep, it's a very easy drive. I did it every weekend. Man that was a great summer lol.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:22 PM, cwdickens said:

Well, easy come and easy go.  I would like to see a ten team America East Conference.  A school from New England or metro New York areas would be nice.

Interesting how these things start as rumors, there is a denial .... On Friday Roger Wyland announces NJIT is going the AE Conference.

I am a little surprised at some of the negative comments. Each to their own, but I think NJIT is a good addition and fit. Many on this blog have advocated for years for more of a New York City connection and exposure. They have new facilities [indoor opened in 2017 {seats 3500}; outdoor just opened 2019.] Gives large amounts of NYC and even die hard Long Island alumni a close place to see UA athletes in action. Also, as others mentioned a reasonable drive from Albany [count me in Bob87.] IMHO I see no negatives, am happy and welcome the addition of NJIT.

Does anyone know if the fall sports women's volleyball, soccer and cross-country can accommodate schedule changes and additions at such a late date?

ps. I know UA already/still has title 9 issues; but men's volleyball is a fast growing and exciting sport. Most high schools in the area offer it now.

• Like 2

Basketball wise I love it. To me, it's two more conference games, which means no more of this garbage D3 scheduling.

So looks like the sports they would be in AE for are:

Baseball

Men's and Women's Basketball

Men's and Women's X Country

Men's and Women's Track and Field

Men's Lacrosse

Men's and Women's Soccer

Women's Volleyball

Men's Swimming and Diving

Interested to see if they reallocate funding from some sports to get softball, women's lacrosse and/or field hockey, but not really a priority for AE to get them in those sports.

While I have not been to their campus, Lubetkin Field at Mal Simon Stadium seems like a really nice facility for soccer and lacrosse (though small). The Events Center actually looks nice and would almost be something I wish UA would do, just bigger.

Not mentioned...AE basically has their baseball tournament facility if they wanted, being that they play their games in the old Newark Bears minor league stadium

3 hours ago, Eli said:

Yeah this is a solid pickup/no brainer if I ever saw one.

I assume the AE bball playoffs would now be a 8-9 play-in game once again to get 8 teams for quarterfinal play and the 10 seed is out completely.  If they could ever get to 12 teams, then there could top 4 byes.  Maybe someday.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

I assume the AE bball playoffs would now be a 8-9 play-in game once again to get 8 teams for quarterfinal play and the 10 seed is out completely.  If they could ever get to 12 teams, then there could top 4 byes.  Maybe someday.

I would not assume anything... Was thinking some of the benefits ...could see an opening round of 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 in men's and women's basketball. Just my thought ... AE is not seeking to become a 12 school conference.  10 schools seems just right.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Basketball wise I love it. To me, it's two more conference games, which means no more of this garbage D3 scheduling.

So looks like the sports they would be in AE for are:

Baseball

Men's and Women's Basketball

Men's and Women's X Country

Men's and Women's Track and Field

Men's Lacrosse

Men's and Women's Soccer

Women's Volleyball

Men's Swimming and Diving

Interested to see if they reallocate funding from some sports to get softball, women's lacrosse and/or field hockey, but not really a priority for AE to get them in those sports.

While I have not been to their campus, Lubetkin Field at Mal Simon Stadium seems like a really nice facility for soccer and lacrosse (though small). The Events Center actually looks nice and would almost be something I wish UA would do, just bigger.

Not mentioned...AE basically has their baseball tournament facility if they wanted, being that they play their games in the old Newark Bears minor league stadium

The old Newark ballpark was demolished last year. I saw Danes play them there a few years ago. 

The basketball arena was pretty nice. I went there between a Seton Hall and devil's game couple of years ago. I did not know about the outdoor facility

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, B9j2j6s said:

Glad to have you NJIT.  Makes it less likely we have a D3 team game.   I like it when schools want to be in the conference.  I think we are set for a while.

Based on the ways things are unfolding, a D3 school on the schedule is unlikely.

• 1 year later...
  • bigpurpl changed the title to NJIT TO AMERICA EAST/POSERS TO CAA