UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NJIT TO AMERICA EAST/POSERS TO CAA

Your right about northeastern. I would love for albany to move to a better conference. I just don't see it. My guess is that our budget would need to go up a ton and I'm sure the state would not support it. Just a guess. 

I strongly dislike the direction of UA atheltics and the AD. Hopefully he will not be around much longer but our president does not seem to care. He seems to let our AD do his thing. 

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

We will not be unless they go to 16.  We are then one of many schools vying for a spot

If Albany didn’t want to move to the CAA in 2013 why is it they’d try to get in now? Has the budget changed at all? Is it because they realize they’ll be left in the dust? Like Click said D3 looks more likely than the CAA now lol

Edited by UA'08

Major sports, at least for us,  is football, basketball, and lacrosse. 

We are already in the caa for football. Do we really want to be in a 16 team mid major for basketball? 1/16 chance to go to the tournament? 

I'm not sure about caa lacrosse but we were number 1 in the country in the AE. So we know it can be done. 

Is there a chance that if the CAA grows to 16 it might be a multi-bid league? Agree it would be stupid to lower our chances of making the dance by going to a huge conference double the size of our old one just to be an also-ran.

4 minutes ago, Eli said:

Is there a chance that if the CAA grows to 16 it might be a multi-bid league? Agree it would be stupid to lower our chances of making the dance by going to a huge conference double the size of our old one just to be an also-ran.

If it grows to 16 it will be to prepare for an eventual breakup of the league along north and south lines into regional sport leagues.  Like the old days.  It's coming.  Mark it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

If it grows to 16 it will be to prepare for an eventual breakup of the league along north and south lines into regional sport leagues.  Like the old days.  It's coming.  Mark it. 

Why would they build to 16 only to break it up? Either way if it's under the CAA banner it will be a 1 bid league.  

To answer the multi bid question, the answer it can be a multi bid league. Any league can. It's not how many teams are in it, it's the strength of those teams, but to me a 16 team mid major is way too many. 

35 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Major sports, at least for us,  is football, basketball, and lacrosse. 

We are already in the caa for football. Do we really want to be in a 16 team mid major for basketball? 1/16 chance to go to the tournament? 

I'm not sure about caa lacrosse but we were number 1 in the country in the AE. So we know it can be done. 

I’d rather align with better programs and competition, but seems to be moot anyway as Albany will be stuck where they are. Playing better teams in conference prepares you more for when you do get into the tournament. The CAA has been down in recent years, but they’ve always been more around 12-14 seed in the tournament vs the America East at perennial 15-16

Edited by UA'08

17 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Why would they build to 16 only to break it up? Either way if it's under the CAA banner it will be a 1 bid league.  

To answer the multi bid question, the answer it can be a multi bid league. Any league can. It's not how many teams are in it, it's the strength of those teams, but to me a 16 team mid major is way too many. 

I'm telling you the plan.  Not telling you that it makes sense.   Massive ncaa change is afoot. 

10 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Take Monmouth’s spot and move to the MAAC!

One things for sure no one is probably shaking in their boots more than vermont probably.

I'm not an expert so this is just a guess. The macc is made up small private schools. The AE is made up of mostly large state schools.  We do not fit the macc mold. My guess is they have less then zero interest in us. 

• bigpurpl changed the title to NJIT TO AMERICA EAST/POSERS TO CAA
13 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I'm not an expert so this is just a guess. The macc is made up small private schools. The AE is made up of mostly large state schools.  We do not fit the macc mold. My guess is they have less then zero interest in us. 

Not only private, 8 of the current 11 MAAC were founded by Catholic religious orders...which still plays an important part to those institutions....9 of the 10 AEC are public institutions....and as we all know....the only private institution, Hartford, is leaving the AEC.  UA1882, you are correct UAlbany is not a good fit....we have football ....and my perception of the MAAC.... it is a one sport focus conference....MBB