UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2022

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

Grew up watching Doc Sauers and Bob Ford coach DIII and then transition to DII. Over the years, both had athletes who could have played DI.  The differences between a DI athlete & DII or DIII is/are NOT that great. The big difference comes into TEAM and depth. How many quality kids can you get in a given year. The individual differences might be a player is a step slow; from a smaller school or a district where competition does not enhance/allow growth; might be undersized or weight; might just be a late bloomer. IMHO no reason why a DIII kid, especially in this day & age cannot make a legitimate jump to DI ball and or as Eli illustrated, even the NBA

1000 percent.  

4 hours ago, tnehurley said:

Don’t forget that Matt Cerutti was a DII graduate and how well he worked out this year as a grad student playing DI

Speaking of Cerrutti, his waiver was denied.  Bummed for him and bummed for us.  However, looks like the new recruit could be our shooter.  

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, is focused on building his career, and already has relationships with people on the team.

DIII to D1 is a big jump, but there are some amazing players at that level, and the AE isn't the ACC. Even if he isn't a starter or even a rotation player it sounds like he is committed to being a leader and a team can never have enough motivated leaders. 

Some of the players he mentions playing with regularly should be enough to show he has skills. 

Welcome to the #purplefam

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, McFan said:

I would agree D3 to D1 is, or can be, a big jump.  At the same time I would say D3 All-American to the America East isn't that big of a leap.  

Exactly.  And the kid almost scored 2000 pts in college.  That's obscene. 

14 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Exactly.  And the kid almost scored 2000 pts in college.  That's obscene. 

Could be a great find.  Not unheard of for D3 kid to grow above that level thru 4 years.  Back in my days at UA, Derrick Rowland of our nemesis Potsdam was an All-American, led them to championship, was drafted by Denver Nuggets in 10th round.  Didn't play for them but played a few games for the Milwaukee Bucks.  Played and coached the Patroons for many years.  

Should be a great addition to the locker room too.

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

Could be a great find.  Not unheard of for D3 kid to grow above that level thru 4 years.  Back in my days at UA, Derrick Rowland of our nemesis Potsdam was an All-American, led them to championship, was drafted by Denver Nuggets in 10th round.  Didn't play for them but played a few games for the Milwaukee Bucks.  Played and coached the Patroons for many years.  

Should be a great addition to the locker room too.

Fun fact.  I "played" with Derrick in a pre-game at Brighton Beach Baths before he played the "marquis" game with some serious talent that used to play on the "A" court of Manhattan Beach.  I was literally 7 or 8 at the time.  It was a charity event.  The big deal was that he had played DIII and everyone was amazed when he went up against mostly D1 guys and former ABA/NBA guys. 

• Like 1