Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Games 13 & 14 vs Stony Brook University 02-20-2021 @ 4:00 PM & 02-21-2021 @ 2:00 PM SEFCU Arena


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Would you like me to send an e-mail to Mark Benson?  Mark may reply with an answer.

I was more just asking anyone who has state contract background? Is there an actual rule?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It'll also be interesting how the Foundation has to deal with donors if they do not renew Will. There's a lot of people with deep pockets that like him and have good memories over the past 20 years wh

Each of the last 5-6 seasons us as fans have started the season with high hopes. This year we are more athletic. This year we have these great transfers. This year we return all 5 starters. This year

I see CB getting another 5 year extension looking at Benson track record.  Think the Gattuso contract I remember the uproar from that.  We have split the season series between UVM and UNH.  We would h

10 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

I was more just asking anyone who has state contract background? Is there an actual rule?

I would assume Will Brown's contract clearly spells out the notification period if re-employment is not to occur... likely outside the typical state employment contract....could file a FOI request.... however I have little interest in Will's contract....more interested in our next opponent NJIT

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I would assume Will Brown's contract clearly spells out the notification period if re-employment is not to occur... likely outside the typical state employment contract....could file a FOI request.... however I have little interest in Will's contract....more interested in our next opponent NJIT

Nm. You were the one who said it was moot I was just curious if it really was moot or if a state employee would already know. 

 

Edited by MRSGDG
Link to post
Share on other sites

5-3 since St. Joe’s.  Mostly better results.  Unlike earlier in the year I view yesterday’s game as the outlier.  It was a disaster mainly due to just horrible shooting.  Today was a nice bounce back.  Not perfect but a win and the offense was solid.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

Nm. You were the one who said it was moot I was just curious if it really was moot or if a state employee would already know. 

 

Let me make my position clear, not interested in the details of Will Brown's contract and more interested in seeing UAlbany retaining him.....he is descendant coach and person.... the tone of this thread is similar to a thread about Greg Gattuso.....and now everyone loves him .... the nature of mid level major D1 has changed rapidly last few years.... most games we have played were competitive  (ave loss was 5.5 points with one exception) ... that is most you can ask ....   and by the way ... nice to see you on the bigpurplefan forum ....miss seeing you and your spouse two rows up.... hope all are safe...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

Benson has his favorite coaches that he likes to go out and have a few... and those he doesn't like or has never liked from the beginning. Don't assume all coaches are treated the same. (His same attitude with various UA staff) 🍻

THANKS. More reason IMHO its Benson NOT Brown who needs to go {or at least be evaluated and held accountable IMHO for the POOR job he has done since day 1.} 

[ps sorry about my mistake concerning getting the 3rd seed, I did not realize new hampshire and umass only played once this weekend.] 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Let me make my position clear, not interested in the details of Will Brown's contract and more interested in seeing UAlbany retaining him.....he is descendant coach and person.... the tone of this thread is similar to a thread about Greg Gattuso.....and now everyone loves him .... the nature of mid level major D1 has changed rapidly last few years.... most games we have played were competitive  (ave loss was 5.5 points with one exception) ... that is most you can ask ....   and by the way ... nice to see you on the bigpurplefan forum ....miss seeing you and your spouse two rows up.... hope all are safe...

I'm not sure I "love" Gattuso but I will give credit where it is due after being one of those who wanted him gone. Good for him that he was able to find a QB and turn things around. We'll know if he's the guy for the long term if Undercuffler graduates and we stay good.

Same for Brown. Although he had 15 years or so of pretty good success, the last 3, 4, 5 years have been pretty poor all things considered when our goal was championships. 1 or 2 down years happens...but half a decade? That's becoming a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eli said:

I'm not sure I "love" Gattuso but I will give credit where it is due after being one of those who wanted him gone. Good for him that he was able to find a QB and turn things around. We'll know if he's the guy for the long term if Undercuffler graduates and we stay good.

Same for Brown. Although he had 15 years or so of pretty good success, the last 3, 4, 5 years have been pretty poor all things considered when our goal was championships. 1 or 2 down years happens...but half a decade? That's becoming a problem.

The difference is in CAA Football receives multiple bids usually for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishes; AE Basketball is one and done....yes there are few teams competing for spots in football.... I looked back at the previous season hmmm look what I found: 2017 - 2018 record 22-10, 2016-2017 record 21-14 (lost AE final) so things have been "poor" in 2018-2019 & 2019 -2020 however players have bailed out and/or graduated early .... finally this season is not over....so a take from a Willie Nelson song .... "roll up the season up and smoke it when it is over"... Will Brown has earned the privilege of coaching the UAlbany Great Danes until 2024......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

The difference is in CAA Football receives multiple bids usually for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishes; AE Basketball is one and done....yes there are few teams competing for spots in football.... I looked back at the previous season hmmm look what I found: 2017 - 2018 record 22-10, 2016-2017 record 21-14 (lost AE final) so things have been "poor" in 2018-2019 & 2019 -2020 however players have bailed out and/or graduated early .... finally this season is not over....so a take from a Willie Nelson song .... "roll up the season up and smoke it when it is over"... Will Brown has earned the privilege of coaching the UAlbany Great Danes until 2024......

Regular season records are great but they don't win championships. I'd rather go 15-15 and win the AE title than go 25-5 and lose in the 1st round. Brown is paid to win AE titles and fact of the matter is he got bounced out of the first round multiple times in the last 5 years.

Actually, here are the stats...

2015-2016 = 24 wins = inexcusable loss to Hartford in the first round. Upset of all upsets. SEFCU arena was SHOCKED when it happened.
2016-2017 = 21 wins = lost to Vermont in the final. Fine, I'll give you that one...it was Vermont in Vermont. Tough place.
2017-2018 = 22 wins = lost to Stony Brook in round 1
2018-2019 = 12 wins = lost to UMBC in round 1
2019-2020 = 14 wins = lost to Stony Brook in round 1
2020-2021* = 6 wins = jury still out

4 of the last 5 years were 1st round exists for a program and coach who are supposed to be battling for the AE title year in, year out like Becker and Vermont.

Sorry, I like Brown and if he can make a run in this tourney I'm okay with keeping him but to say that he's earned the right to coach to 2024 is a bit premature and frankly, on paper, doesn't jive with his results the last 5 years.

Edited by Eli
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Eli said:

Regular season records are great but they don't win championships. I'd rather go 15-15 and win the AE title than go 25-5 and lose in the 1st round. Brown is paid to win AE titles and fact of the matter is he got bounced out of the first round multiple times in the last 5 years.

Actually, here are the stats...

2015-2016 = 24 wins = inexcusable loss to Hartford in the first round. Upset of all upsets. SEFCU arena was SHOCKED when it happened.
2016-2017 = 21 wins = lost to Vermont in the final. Fine, I'll give you that one...it was Vermont in Vermont. Tough place.
2017-2018 = 22 wins = lost to Stony Brook in round 1
2018-2019 = 12 wins = lost to UMBC in round 1
2019-2020 = 14 wins = lost to Stony Brook in round 1
2020-2021* = 6 wins = jury still out

4 of the last 5 years were 1st round exists for a program and coach who are supposed to be battling for the AE title year in, year out like Becker and Vermont.

Sorry, I like Brown and if he can make a run in this tourney I'm okay with keeping him but to say that he's earned the right to coach to 2024 is a bit premature and frankly, on paper, doesn't jive with his results the last 5 years.

We could go back and forth... neither one of us will get to decide whether Will Brown stays or goes....that is up to the powers that be... Will Brown has the ultimate control of the situation ... our opinions count for NOTHING in the real world... other then we will have to agree to disagree...one last thought as one former UAlbany assistant football coach said to me... "there nothing harder then putting one's career on the line for a team sport...the team's performance sometimes can vary from game to game"  After 50 years of following UAlbany sports, I know of no better person for our UAlbany basketball players then Will Brown

Edited by cwdickens
clarification
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

We could go back and forth... neither one of us will get to decide whether Will Brown stays or goes....that is up to the powers that be... Will Brown has the ultimate control of the situation ... our opinions count for NOTHING in the real world... other then we will have to agree to disagree...one last thought as one former UAlbany assistant football coach said to me... "there nothing harder then putting one's career on the line for a team sport...the team's performance sometimes can vary from game to game"  After 50 years of following UAlbany sports, I know of no better person for our UAlbany basketball players then Will Brown

It'll also be interesting how the Foundation has to deal with donors if they do not renew Will. There's a lot of people with deep pockets that like him and have good memories over the past 20 years which the foundation is able to use to milk getting donations (and they're also anti-Benson donors that this could push them over the edge to stop their donations). And it has been mentioned before here before too but Castellana seems to be a supporter of the program and Will and they have yet to secure the funding with the naming for the arena. If they can Will it'll be interesting what happens with that.

🤷🏻‍♀️

 

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Each of the last 5-6 seasons us as fans have started the season with high hopes. This year we are more athletic. This year we have these great transfers. This year we return all 5 starters. This year we....

I really dont think it's recruiting. I don't think it's the players. I don't think it's Brown because most players say nothing but great things about him and the environment. The ones that don't weren't playing and transferred down (I include a transfer to Hartford as a transfer down).

To me it's the offensive and defensive system that Brown has been using. I'm not sure it matches the talents and skills of the recruits he brings in. I think he has been in the league so long that the other teams know most of his tricks. 

The team has had the talent to compete every season. The team needs a breath of fresh air with a change of style. I'm not saying Brown needs to go, because I hope he stays, but I hope he takes a long look at the players on his roster and makes some adjustments based on what he has. The staff is all UA alum and past parts of his program. There is no dissenting views. I have no idea who on the staff needs to go, and I won't put down any of the purplefam, but there needs to be a hot shot young outsider to come in for a few seasons as a top assistant who isn't wearing purple and gold glasses and can shake the system up. One of those D3 or D2 coaches that wants a good gig for a few seasons at D1 before getting a head coach job themselves. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cwdickens said:

We could go back and forth... neither one of us will get to decide whether Will Brown stays or goes....that is up to the powers that be... Will Brown has the ultimate control of the situation ... our opinions count for NOTHING in the real world... other then we will have to agree to disagree...one last thought as one former UAlbany assistant football coach said to me... "there nothing harder then putting one's career on the line for a team sport...the team's performance sometimes can vary from game to game"  After 50 years of following UAlbany sports, I know of no better person for our UAlbany basketball players then Will Brown

Why are all of your posts in bold...are you aware of this? Sounds like you are constantly yelling at me/us when I read your posts. LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...