UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

In the end I’m a fan on the name of the front of the jersey first. I’m already getting that feeling that some here are already hoping he fails with the next hire and are no longer going to support UA athletics. 

I for one hope when the dust settles people will be out there going back to games and supporting the BBall program and new coach. 

2 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

In the end I’m a fan on the name of the front of the jersey first. I’m already getting that feeling that some here are already hoping he fails with the next hire and are no longer going to support UA athletics. 

I for one hope when the dust settles people will be out there going back to games and supporting the BBall program and new coach. 

I can tell you this is NOT my position. I love UA hoops and whomever the hire is will have my full support and patience. I just know what I know about the man doing the hiring. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, UA'08 said:

I think for some of us we already believe Benson has failed. And what we want is to try to come out of this, is that people find out how he is running his program who may not know what's really going on.

Because we don't have faith that whatever he does next is going to help the University in the long run. We are in fact bleeding purple and gold because of the hurt and frustration that he is allowed to stay there and damage the University.

And no longer giving support at least for me means financially. I will still always root for my Great Danes. But Benson is not going to get a dime.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

I don't think ANYONE here wants the incoming coach to fail.  Some may not be super supportive at first but we all want nothing but success for the program. 

22 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

It's unclear how true this is with the exception of the St. Bonna situation. I've been here a long time, know a lot and have seen heard a lot and it's unclear if he's ever had a solid offer on the table. Maybe Dartmouth where he went through the interview process. 

No need to debate.  But am very comfortable in my statement.  If Coach Brown wanted to trade in and leverage up he could have at several schools NEVER mentioned on this board.  I don’t post behind an alias so I can’t and won’t say more, but my take is that he was too Loyal.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

I don't think ANYONE here wants the incoming coach to fail.  Some may not be super supportive at first but we all want nothing but success for the program. 

Thanks for saying that DRG. Living 1500 miles from Albany I have been to each of our NCAA appearances and at the Hooley shot game against SB. I am pretty much only a  basketball fan, though I do keep track of UA's other sports to some degree. The last thing I want to watch on ESPN is a non-competitive Albany product. 

Just now, Don Nichols said:

No need to debate.  But am very comfortable in my statement.  If Coach Brown wanted to trade in and leverage up he could have at several schools NEVER mentioned on this board.  I don’t post behind an alias so I can’t and won’t say more, but my take is that he was too Loyal.  

Fair enough...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I can tell you this is NOT my position. I love UA hoops and whomever the hire is will have my full support and patience. I just know what I know about the man doing the hiring. 

Idk man, it’s unfortunate they didn’t get along, but that happens all the time when a boss and an employee butt heads. Other than the title IX issues what other kind of stuff is he doing that is so damming besides parting ways with a long time basketball coach. Whoever has info you might as well put it out there now I guess. Doesn’t make a difference anymore 

5 minutes ago, Don Nichols said:

CB was loyal to the school and the school was loyal to him - for 20 years they shared a mutually beneficial relationship. He made an adult decision on prior occasions to remain coaching in a comfortable environment where his family is from and where they wished to remain living. Yes, his loyalty probably cost him some money but it also made his family happy with their quality of life in a location that was preferable to them (these are decisions that many professionals run into). The school chose to move on after 20 years - right or wrong, they made a professional decision to go in a new direction.  I don’t think you can say that anyone made a rash decision here. Much like when the Yankees moved on from Joe Torre (and both sides had been loyal to one another for years), it was just time for a change. If CB had taken another offer before the school made its decision, no one would have criticized him for his lack of loyalty. 

CB has meant a lot to all of us and we have all thanked him for all that he has done. It’s now time to turn the page and hope that we choose a good replacement and then support that replacement as much as humanly possible. (As for the debate over the AD, I am all ears to the information being shared today and it has been very helpful.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dane85 said:

CB was loyal to the school and the school was loyal to him - for 20 years they shared a mutually beneficial relationship. He made an adult decision on prior occasions to remain coaching in a comfortable environment where his family is from and where they wished to remain living. Yes, his loyalty probably cost him some money but it also made his family happy with their quality of life in a location that was preferable to them (these are decisions that many professionals run into). The school chose to move on after 20 years - right or wrong, they made a professional decision to go in a new direction.  I don’t think you can say that anyone made a rash decision here. Much like when the Yankees moved on from Joe Torre (and both sides had been loyal to one another for years), it was just time for a change. If CB had taken another offer before the school made its decision, no one would have criticized him for his lack of loyalty. 

CB has meant a lot to all of us and we have all thanked him for all that he has done. It’s now time to turn the page and hope that we choose a good replacement and then support that replacement as much as humanly possible. (As for the debate over the AD, I am all ears to the information being shared today and it has been very helpful.)

I can understand most of it but you're saying the decision was "professional" when many of us know it was not. It was personal and had nothing to do with job performance. That's the issue many have here.  What's the new professional direction Benson is taking us to? 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

We can agree to disagree - many of us believe the job performance was not up to par and the team was in steady decline and had become irrelevant - with no plan in place. Myself and many others have said the same thing - for months now. So I do believe a professional decision was made here. Is it possible that a personality clash with the AD expedited the decision, sure that is quite possible. But these types of changes are made all the time (and employees clash with their bosses all the time and eventually a move is made). Most coaches will tell you that their coaching style/effectiveness can grow stagnant if they remain in one place for too long. This time next year I believe we will hear that CB felt like the change gave him a new lease on life for him - a breath of fresh air; and I hope that at the same time, we are seeing a new energy in our program with a promising direction going forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dane85 said:

We can agree to disagree - many of us believe the job performance was not up to par and the team was in steady decline and had become irrelevant - with no plan in place. Myself and many others have said the same thing - for months now. So I do believe a professional decision was made here. Is it possible that a personality clash with the AD expedited the decision, sure that is quite possible. But these types of changes are made all the time (and employees clash with their bosses all the time and eventually a move is made). Most coaches will tell you that their coaching style/effectiveness can grow stagnant if they remain in one place for too long. This time next year I believe we will hear that CB felt like the change gave him a new lease on life for him - a breath of fresh air; and I hope that at the same time, we are seeing a new energy in our program with a promising direction going forward.

Again no one is arguing that if you wanted to get rid of Will this would be the time based on his recent three yr record. But because we know Benson has been wanting to get rid of him and he had his decision made up before even this year that's the issue. That's the person you have running your athletics program. Agree to disagree on Benson.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

I can understand most of it but you're saying the decision was "professional" when many of us know it was not. It was personal and had nothing to do with job performance. That's the issue many have here.  What's the new professional direction Benson is taking us to? 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

What makes Benson’s decision of not renewing a contract for a coach unprofessional? Contract expired and he wants to go a different path, whether he got along with him or not makes no difference. I’d now like to hear what dirt is out there right now on Benson besides not getting along with Brown. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Again no one is arguing that if you wanted to get rid of Will this would be the time based on his recent three yr record. But because we know Benson has been wanting to get rid of him and he had his decision made up before even this year that's the issue. That's the person you have running your athletics program. Agree to disagree on Benson.

Point taken - and I am not defending Benson (in fact I do think he should be on the hot seat). I don’t know enough about what the situation was between them to opine on that. I can understand that if Benson was predisposed to dump CB that the eventual decision would rub many the wrong way. I opined simply upon what I have seen over the past few years - and the quality of basketball that I have witnessed.

26 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

As others have pointed out, I'm not sure it's ENTIRELY personal even if maybe most of it was. We have to acknowledge that we've lost quite a bit the last 3 years, once out of the quarterfinals in 5 years. It's not like Benson let CB go after 4 20 wins seasons and 2 NCAA trips. It's been a slog and a struggle, product wasn't great which gave Benson an opening to do what he wanted to do. 

• Like 1