UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

1 minute ago, Clickclack said:

As others have pointed out, I'm not sure it's ENTIRELY personal even if maybe most of it was. We have to acknowledge that we've lost quite a bit the last 3 years, once out of the quarterfinals in 5 years. It's not like Benson let CB go after 4 20 wins seasons and 2 NCAA trips. It's been a slog and a struggle, product wasn't great which gave Benson an opening to do what he wanted to do. 

Making the descion before the start of the season means he didn't care how we did this yr. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Making the descion before the start of the season means he didn't care how we did this yr. 

I'm going to be careful how I respond here, had he parted with Will Brown after Brown went to the finals, your point would have some teeth behind it. I'm aware of the speculation that Will was gone even if he went dancing this year, and had that happened obviously that would NOT have been justified and the outrage would be far more severed IMO. The reality for what it's worth is we don't know what he would have done with CB had he won or went deep into the post season. I know you feel that you do but unless you have it on tape or email it's still conjecture. The reality is Benson made the move he did after this staff pulled into the finish line at the end of the last 3 seasons in 5th, 7th and 6th place. The outcome of those results sealed the fate for all involved. You may disagree with what the outcome should have been, another 3 year deal with the last not guaranteed...fine, but the results weren't there, the product wasn't great and it emboldened Benson.  To suggest that this staff was killing it and got run off simply doesn't comport to reality. Look at the game threads from the last few years. 

If we are being completely honest, in the 20 years there were some things that many of us didn't like, lack of development of some players, high transfer rate, reliance on JUCO's etc. I believe all of these things and many others like lack of administrative support paved the way to the struggles of this program. 

It's now on Benson to not only make the right hire, but to provide the support to this program which he hasn't done to compete with the top of the AE. His personal fate is tied to the fate of this coach (and that's being generous, I'd fire his ass today). Make no mistake about it, this is what Mark Benson wanted, be careful what you wish for!

Edited by Clickclack

7 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

And this info was clearly coming out of the WB camp. It’s easy to say now that even if he won he wouldn’t be retained. MB was lucky he didn’t have to worry about him winning it all this year and if he did there was no guarantee he’d want to come back anyway.

6 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

And this info was clearly coming out of the WB camp. It’s easy to say now that even if he won he wouldn’t be retained. MB was lucky he didn’t have to worry about him winning it all this year and if he did there was no guarantee he’d want to come back anyway.

Not if UA staff and myself knew months ago. You just don't get it. Oh well. Cuz what does that do for anyone to convince you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I'm going to be careful how I respond here, had he parted with Will Brown after Brown went to the finals, your point would have some teeth behind it. I'm aware of the speculation that Will was gone even if he went dancing this year, and had that happened obviously that would NOT have been justified and the outrage would be far more severed IMO. The reality for what it's worth is we don't know what he would have done with CB had he won or went deep into the post season. I know you feel that you do but unless you have it on tape or email it's still conjecture. The reality is Benson made the move he did after this staff pulled into the finish line at the end of the last 3 seasons in 5th, 7th and 6th place. The outcome of those results sealed the fate for all involved. You may disagree with what the outcome should have been, another 3 year deal with the last not guaranteed...fine, but the results weren't there, the product wasn't great and it emboldened Benson.  To suggest that this staff was killing it and got run off simply doesn't comport to reality. Look at the game threads from the last few years. 

If we are being completely honest, in the 20 years there were some things that many of us didn't like, lack of development of some players, high transfer rate, reliance on JUCO's etc. I believe all of these things and many others like lack of administrative support paved the way to the struggles of this program. 

It's now on Benson to not only make the right hire, but to provide the support to this program which he hasn't done to compete with the top of the AE. His personal fate is tied to the fate of this coach (and that's being generous, I'd fire his ass today). Make no mistake about it, this is what Mark Benson wanted, be careful what you wish for!

Agree that this hire should be his make or break. Whether Browns time ended today or 3 years from now with another extension, it’s clear his diehards would not he happy with the decision. 

6 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Not if UA staff and myself knew months ago. You just don't get it. Oh well. Cuz what does that do for anyone to convince you. 🤷🏻‍♀️

No I definitely get it. Clearly your ties run deep into the staff and that’s fine. WB and co. could have gone .500 the next four seasons on a new contract and you’d still want him back after. 

I won’t disagree with you that Benson had it out for Brown, but I also don’t believe this is the first time in history that this has happened at any school. You make it seem like he was fired after winning a championship with and 3 years left. 

30 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

No I definitely get it. Clearly your ties run deep into the staff and that’s fine. WB and co. could have gone .500 the next four seasons on a new contract and you’d still want him back after. 

I won’t disagree with you that Benson had it out for Brown, but I also don’t believe this is the first time in history that this has happened at any school. You make it seem like he was fired after winning a championship with and 3 years left. 

I'm not sure I ever said anything like that. I have been extremely clear that the issue is that Benson has had it out for Will regardless of his progress since he got here. That is an issue I personally have with the way someone would run their administration. There are other issues with Benson outside of coaching that I have issues with. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

I'm not sure I ever said anything like that. I have been extremely clear that the issue is that Benson has had it out for Will regardless of his progress since he got here. That is an issue I personally have with the way someone would run their administration. There are other issues with Benson outside of coaching that I have issues with. 

No you did not say that directly, its the just the impression I have. Apologies. Everyone’s got issues with everyone at some point.

Facts are from the outside looking in we have a a top 20 ranked lacrosse and football program even with a $2 million budget defect with Covid. So something seems to be going right. 

Edited by UA'08

Always great to get fired on the day the local news broadcasts a special about a prestigious national award you won for your community involvement and work on cancer.

Great Job Benson and UA. 

I am a Brown supporter, and I wanted him renewed a thousand times before we keep Benson at the helm to keep pushing us into being a "football school."  Does the department know that they will never become a football school in the Northeast? It's impossible. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Capital Region people are sports snobs. They will never fully support a program at the FCS level. We are too close to other hubs like NYC/Boston/Montreal. No one cares. If we had a P5 program, we could sell out every game, but anything less and no one will care. We don't have the resources or ability to go that high anytime in the next few decades.

A trip to the NCAA basketball tournament and a loss in the first round does more for our recognition locally and nationally than a FCS national championship in football would give us. I hope they realize this when they are hiring the next coach and talking about supporting the program with facilities and resources.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Always great to get fired on the day the local news broadcasts a special about a prestigious national award you won for your community involvement and work on cancer.

Great Job Benson and UA. 

I am a Brown supporter, and I wanted him renewed a thousand times before we keep Benson at the helm to keep pushing us into being a "football school."  Does the department know that they will never become a football school in the Northeast? It's impossible. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Capital Region people are sports snobs. They will never fully support a program at the FCS level. We are too close to other hubs like NYC/Boston/Montreal. No one cares. If we had a P5 program, we could sell out every game, but anything less and no one will care. We don't have the resources or ability to go that high anytime in the next few decades.

A trip to the NCAA basket tournament and a loss in the first round does more for our recognition locally and nationally than a FCS national championship in football would give us. I hope they realize this when they are hiring the next coach and talking about supporting the program with facilities and resources.

Blame the school then and not benson. He was brought in to make the transition to the best FCS football conference. I agree the money pumped into FCS football for all those full scholarships are a waste, but without the full buy in into football I don’t know how much of these donations you will still see. This I believe is the biggest issue between between the football and basketball diehards.

8 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Curious. Why not?

Because he has barely any coaching experience.  A couple at Siena . Then at albany (basketball operations, barely a coach) . Then a couple at UMASS. Barely .500. No thanks.  If we need to settle for that then I'll accept it . 

We want to go after a coach on an extremely successful team, that has been there for approximately 5 years . Someone who as learned a system and what it takes to be successful.  Not a .500 team..

No way !!!! 

Edited by UA1882