UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

2 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I'm not suggesting that he left voluntarily, or if given the choice he wouldn't have stayed. That is not my contention, I think the reality of what happened is pretty well out there at this point. My only point is, especially as new opportunities open up for him, it's not the end of the world. I'll add one more thing, that yes, there are people who as you put it "guess at what is goin on" I would content there's a blend of that some truth, some conjecture from everyone here, but there are more than one or two people here who also have/had personal relationships over the years with the people involved in this saga. I would venture to say that there are buckets of water being carried here and everyone has their own biases, both ways. Due to circumstances as they have unfolded, some long seated and very personal relationships are being severed in the context of coach/fan and some of that pain is palatable. It's understandable, it will take time. 

Regardless if someone had a coach/fan/donor relationship, there are people that have Benson/fan/donor relationships that have be scorched over the years. I think you keep missing that part. But again whatever I'm over trying justify facts. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Regardless if someone had a coach/fan/donor relationship, there are people that have Benson/fan/donor relationships that have be scorched over the years. I think you keep missing that part. But again whatever I'm over trying justify facts. 

I'm not missing that part AT ALL, in fact I edited my above post as I missed it in my original reply. I'm in COMPLETE agreement with you on the premeditated nature of the change regardless of outcome this season which is patently unfair. Furthermore, I'm in complete agreement with your criticism of Mark Benson, COMPLETE! I want to be VERY clear about that. 

Edited by Clickclack

12 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

And if Benson had a change of heart and decided to resign him the narrative is completely changed. It would be perfectly fine for Brown to accept a new contract and we’d hear no complaints from you.

Benson being a terrible AD (whether true or not) should have been a completely different topic on its own unrelated to whether Brown was brought back or not.

3 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

And if Benson had a change of heart and decided to resign him the narrative is completely changed. It would be perfectly fine for Brown to accept a new contract and we’d hear no complaints from you.

Benson being a terrible AD (whether true or not) should have been a completely different topic on its own unrelated to whether Brown was brought back or not.

I don't see how you can separate the two considering Will never really had a chance. Come hell or high water, Benson was moving on. Let's not pretend that isn't the case. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I don't see how you can separate the two considering Will never really had a chance. Come hell or high water, Benson was moving on. Let's not pretend that isn't the case. 

I’m not disagreeing with that at all. I’m all for discussing separately the examples of how he’s done a $iena job and they should definitely be highlighted.

Brown re-upped for 5 years under Benson so I wouldn’t necessarily say he never stood a chance. Odds were against him, but it’s not that he didn’t have a chance.

33 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I struggle to think he would be gone if we won the AE Tourney. Anything short of that may have been predetermined but also may have been appropriate depending on your point of view.

1 minute ago, UA'08 said:

I’m not disagreeing with that at all. I’m all for discussing separately the examples of how he’s done a $iena job and they should definitely be highlighted.

Brown re-upped for 5 years under Benson so I wouldn’t necessarily say he never stood a chance. Odds were against him, but it’s not that he didn’t have a chance.

Benson upped that contracted through girded teeth, will was coming of back to back to back...lol. This change has been years in the making. 

When you are retired...sometimes you have time to reflect on what happen and why it happen....I have not seen this (must admit did not read everyone's comments from Sunday/Monday).....My thought: Is there a Siena or for Bob87 a LCC factor?  How many coaches have come and gone in the last 19 1/2 years at the other D1 school? some coaches successful, some unsuccessful...at least one really bad...further their team has had recent success....i believe there is...Benson was influenced by what saw over at Siena....what do others think?

8 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Benson upped that contracted through girded teeth, will was coming of back to back to back...lol. This change has been years in the making. 

It came off a 1st round quarterfinal loss to Hartford at home, but yes he probably had no other choice extend him. If he would have gotten to a couple more finals within those 5-6 years I think the story changes, but too bad one will ever know. 

A question I have is does Benson have full autonomy over all the athletic department decisions? 

38 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

When you are retired...sometimes you have time to reflect on what happen and why it happen....I have not seen this (must admit did not read everyone's comments from Sunday/Monday).....My thought: Is there a Siena or for Bob87 a LCC factor?  How many coaches have come and gone in the last 19 1/2 years at the other D1 school? some coaches successful, some unsuccessful...at least one really bad...further their team has had recent success....i believe there is...Benson was influenced by what saw over at Siena....what do others think?

Benson was influenced by what he saw at Siena? WTH does that even mean? What does Siena have to do with any of this? Patsos' situation is NOTHING like Browns/Bensons. Can we stop talking about LCC in here? It has zero to do with anything. Good for them that they are relevant again now that Patsos and his 1-year rental are gone...but we don't care about them here.

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, McFan said:

I struggle to think he would be gone if we won the AE Tourney. Anything short of that may have been predetermined but also may have been appropriate depending on your point of view.

I’d think the tone to the end of the book would be different for sure.

29 minutes ago, Eli said:

Benson was influenced by what he saw at Siena? WTH does that even mean? What does Siena have to do with any of this? Patsos' situation is NOTHING like Browns/Bensons. Can we stop talking about LCC in here? It has zero to do with anything. Good for them that they are relevant again now that Patsos and his 1-year rental are gone...but we don't care about them here.

For one no Siena coaches names were used....so you made your own conclusion are you right or are wrong ...hmmm....what did I mean .... I pointed out coach changes frequently .... current success on court....oh lord....you going to make me get religious ... see you down the road ... going ... going ... gone...

Edited by cwdickens
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

For one no Siena coaches names were used....so you made your own conclusion are you right or are wrong ...hmmm....what did I mean .... I pointed out coach changes frequently .... current success on court....oh lord....you going to make me get religious ... see you down the road ... going ... going ... gone...

I am not sure what you meant, but I would think lcc isn't a model how to make money for an athletic program, the #1 thing he seems to care about. 

• Thanks 1