UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

11 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

That's the nature of the business...we'll see who is left standing on the roster and on the sideline. 

For sure. I just seems to me like he'd recruited a good class this past year whose development was stymied due to covid breaks. Seems a shame that guys like Kelly and Rizzuto who on the whole played really well for us this year and came here because of Brown are likely to move on as well because Benson didn't like Brown

Edited by blorp
  • Like 1

Just now, blorp said:

For sure. I just seems to me like he'd recruited a good class this past year whose development was stymied due to covid breaks. Seems a shame that guys like Kelly and Rizzuto who on the whole played really well for us this year and came here because of Brown are likely to move on as well because Benson didn't like Brown

That's true but it's not one bad season, and other kids have taken huge steps back like Hutch, Lulka, Healy. Obviously there were health issues etc. 

12 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

It’s a fact.  I knew about this before the summer.  Benson wanted to do this last year.  And before anyone questions if I’m speaking facts, I have physical proof.  

So what stopped him.  I’ll give Benson one thing. He’s not complacent 

26 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

As one of the admitted leaders of the time to move on bandwagon, I am pleased to see that they decided to shift gears, however, it is not without sadness and a bit of "i hope this is the right move" as it's never easy to see a pillar of the community replaced who did take us from nothing to something.

Kudos to what Will has accomplished on and off the court. Ideally this ends up as an Andy Reid/Eagles situation where they both ended up with Super Bowls after their split (although the Eagles are currently in far worse shape)

Nineteen years in one place as a head coach is almost unheard of these days. Coach Brown built a program from nothing into something and delivered some incredible memories along the way. He will be in the school’s HOF and probably down the road should be honored in the arena in some way. He was all class and ran a very clean program. This was also a very unique situation in that the coach was able to coach in what was basically his family’s hometown - so we benefited and his family’s quality of life benefited. I am sure every one of us on this board during CB’s tenure became proud to pound our chest that we were UA alum and for that we should all be forever indebted.

That said, it appeared that the situation had grown stale - his relationship with the AD was not good, his recruiting had fallen off,  his ability to get the most out of his team had waned, and there appeared to be no plan in place as to building his team. I think this change will be good for all concerned. CB is a good coach who probably needs a change of venue and a fresh start with better resources. I have no doubt he will do a nice job wherever he goes (and I doubt he will go to a SUNY as he will need to get paid commensurate with his experience and a SUNY can’t pay that). On our side of the coin, it’s time for a young, hungry coach with a good staff (that includes a recruiter) to put a new plan in place. Hopefully a couple of the recent transfers stick around as changing to another school won’t be easy for them. As mentioned by others, Benson’s performance has not been good and he should be under the microscope - I just hope we don’t get a poor coaching choice from him as the door is hitting him on the way out.

THANK YOU COACH BROWN!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dane85 said:

Nineteen years in one place as a head coach is almost unheard of these days. Coach Brown built a program from nothing into something and delivered some incredible memories along the way. He will be in the school’s HOF and probably down the road should be honored in the arena in some way. He was all class and ran a very clean program. This was also a very unique situation in that the coach was able to coach in what was basically his family’s hometown - so we benefited and his family’s quality of life benefited. I am sure every one of us on this board during CB’s tenure became proud to pound our chest that we were UA alum and for that we should all be forever indebted.

That said, it appeared that the situation had grown stale - his relationship with the AD was not good, his recruiting had fallen off,  his ability to get the most out of his team had waned, and there appeared to be no plan in place as to building his team. I think this change will be good for all concerned. CB is a good coach who probably needs a change of venue and a fresh start with better resources. I have no doubt he will do a nice job wherever he goes (and I doubt he will go to a SUNY as he will need to get paid commensurate with his experience and a SUNY can’t pay that). On our side of the coin, it’s time for a young, hungry coach with a good staff (that includes a recruiter) to put a new plan in place. Hopefully a couple of the recent transfers stick around as changing to another school won’t be easy for them. As mentioned by others, Benson’s performance has not been good and he should be under the microscope - I just hope we don’t get a poor coaching choice from him as the door is hitting him on the way out.

THANK YOU COACH BROWN!

Cosigned...as think as time passes and emotions settle down this will be viewed as a good move for all involved. Obviously UA is in a precarious position in that we have an AD who is a zero trying to do this hire so there is considerable danger. But the program probably needs a reboot. It HAS gotten stale, we have fallen significantly behind and aren't near the top of the AE. The losses have been mounting and product on the floor not good. 

• Thanks 2

And this is exactly what I mean about Benson:

"Will's tenure on the bench for the majority of our Division I history and his five championships have left indelible memories with our fans. We wish Will and his family all the best as they move forward from UAlbany."

Notice key words missing: "indelible memories with our fans"-- now the words that should have been added for a man who has served for 20 years.  "Indelible memories with our fans, his impact on the Capital District Community, national impact with Coaches vs. Cancer, and his ability to mold academically minded students as evidenced by the 26 All-Academic selections--which is almost triple the number of any other school in the same time frame."

SMH.

• Like 2

I'm definitely sad today and I honestly can't say whether this was the right move or not, especially after the crappy covid stuff the program had to deal with. I will ALWAYS be thankful and support Coach Brown no matter where he goes. He's been such a great coach, a good person and my interactions with him were always good ones.

I will say that since Chad O'Donnell and Jeremy Friel left that the recruiting has gone south and once they started missing on the 4 year kids they had to scramble with Jucos and transfers and it's hard to build a good program that way.  Jucos an transfers used to be used to fill gaps by Brown, not create rosters.  The Cremo and Nichols late transfers didn't help much either and set the program back and you can even say may still have not recovered from. 

I will never forget the experiences that all those seasons bought me though.  Especially getting some of my college friends back together a few times a year to travel up for games or to road games and the fun times that created.  The tourney games and championship games I attended (3 out of the 5) were unforgettable.  THANK YOU COACH BROWN!

I just hope they make the right hire who can keep some of the good kids on the roster right now and get back to recruiting some good 4 year kids.  Feels like its been a bit since we had a freshman to get excited about other than Healy.