UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

10 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

So if they want 8-22 for 5 years you'd advocate the status quo?

NO. I live and die UA athletics and have so for 50 years. But IMHO I would not fire Will Brown if he was (8-22 5 years in a row; which he wasn't.)

I would also NOT advocate the "status quo." I guess, I would do something like offer a new contract with a reasonable ultimatum and time frame. I am also NOT an administrator; but if I was, I hope I would provide ALL my coaches and staff the resources needed to be successful; to the best of my abilities. 

The right extension would have been three years at current market rate or even a small decrease due to COVID.  Then, if Will doesn't perform by year 2, the year 3 is the out or you let him go the third year while using that year to quietly search.

But what do I know....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dslyank said:

NO. I live and die UA athletics and have so for 50 years. But IMHO I would not fire Will Brown if he was (8-22 5 years in a row; which he wasn't.)

I would also NOT advocate the "status quo." I guess, I would do something like offer a new contract with a reasonable ultimatum and time frame. I am also NOT an administrator; but if I was, I hope I would provide ALL my coaches and staff the resources needed to be successful; to the best of my abilities. 

I mean what makes you believe a new contract with a reasonable ultimatum and timeframe is something WB would accept after already giving 20 years. That’s the thing with contracts. Like Click said I think it is more mutual than it has already lead out to be. 

5 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

hmmmm, wonder why a certain word was typed a certain way...

https://twitter.com/MPAD3344/status/1366421266438234115?s=20

Good for him.  

I left this out of my previous post but I agree with the others on Benson.  He's done nothing that I can point to and say, "wow!  that was really great for the department and the school".

19 minutes ago, McFan said:

As a long term fan I have mixed emotions.  WB had some great years here and produced by all accounts high level, high character student-athletes.  For that he's to be commended and thanked.  

Is Benson great/awful?  He seems to not have a lot of fans.  Are our facilities up to par?  Absolutely not.

That said, this program is stale and was trending downward.  Outside of Rizutto no 4 year recruits had even a moderate impact on this season.  Reasons and excuses are fine but over time this falls on the Head Coach.  Add the contract situation into this (and an apparent personality conflict) it was time. 

Will seemed like a good guy and nobody likes to see somebody lose their job but he was well compensated for a long time.  His son was born and raised in one location.  In the coaching profession that is extremely rare.  Realistic or not, results matter, even at this level.  And the results have not been good lately.  

Thank you for articulating what I've been trying to articulate all morning. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Fair enough...the last sentence I couldn't agree more with. Hard to know how much of the recent struggles is due to lack of support from the administration. 

Trying to digest all of these posts...but I'll copy what I put on FB:

Great guy who ran a clean program but after 5 years of not winning, it may be for the best for both parties.
Brown's hands are tied behind his back with a completely inept Athletic Administration (UA is getting left in the dust with facilities, etc. - lots to be said there but I'll bite my tongue) but he also hasn't recruited as great as he once did.

It was time.

Wish him the best and I will have fond memories of the 2000's and 2010's with Brown at the helm. If you're reading this Brown, go get yourself a better AD than what you had here. Best of luck sir!

• Like 3

Listen...if you want this to be about production on the court, I'm all about having that type of talk and debate those merits. However, from what I have seen online and from people here, this smells a lot like it has less to do with production.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

hmmmm, wonder why a certain word was typed a certain way...

https://twitter.com/MPAD3344/status/1366421266438234115?s=20

It means it wasn't mutual...

CB just has to say that so that it doesn't look like he got fired while he  looks for another job.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Listen...if you want this to be about production on the court, I'm all about having that type of talk and debate those merits. However, from what I have seen online and from people here, this smells a lot like it has less to do with production.

No insider info here but safe to assume it's both and production makes it acceptable.  If it's only personality clashes and UA was winning this doesn't happen.

14 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Agreed...that is the rotten part. I seriously question if Brown went dancing this year if Mark Benson would bring him back. I've heard no...and that is troubling on a number of level. Meaning, no matter what Brown did he would not be back. Listen, we can debate in light of the results if Will should have stayed but this dogged pathological need stemming YEARS of Benson trying to run him off results be damned really calls into question the character of one Mark Benson. I know of what I speak!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1