Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Great...we go find a high ranking BCS assistant who uses UAlbany to get a job for a BCS school...and we are right back where we started. This is perfect to building a winning program. 🙄

This needs to be the way, people need to realize that the stability that we had with Brown doesn't exist at this level of basketball. The goal should be a 5 year run and hopefully a few NCAA trips out of it. Mediocrity isn't the way...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been dormant here for quite a while, I must say that I'm not thrilled about this at all but I know that WB will land on his feet. This however is the last straw for me with MB.  I feel like

I am excited for Coach Killings and what he brings. I'm beyond happy that at this moment he looks like a great hire. I feel more optimism on the board at this moment than we have had since we still ha

No need to debate.  But am very comfortable in my statement.  If Coach Brown wanted to trade in and leverage up he could have at several schools NEVER mentioned on this board.  I don’t post behind an

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Great...we go find a high ranking BCS assistant who uses UAlbany to get a job for a BCS school...and we are right back where we started. This is perfect to building a winning program. 🙄

Sheesh the program has already been built by WB. I am forever thankful for all those great years. It’s now on the next coach to continue the tradition and then the next coach after that one. I know it will take time for some to get over, but y’all act like the program is going to never recover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

This needs to be the way, people need to realize that the stability that we had with Brown doesn't exist at this level of basketball. The goal should be a 5 year run and hopefully a few NCAA trips out of it. Mediocrity isn't the way...

Yup 100%. Give me the driven BCS assistant who needs to start somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

10 years for Becker at UVM...

11 years for Gallagher at Hartford...

 

If there was the right job opening for Becker he’d be out the door and if Hartford was smart they should’ve let Gallagher go when they had the chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blorp said:

image.thumb.png.d5a23b733c0482665edb2cce9174dd4c.png

Looks like Iati is the Interim HC, Pelletier & Knotts are gone. Donnie Bassett is no longer listed as Special Assistant

Update: Greig is no longer listed and Hammill is gone too

Edited by blorp
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

If there was the right job opening for Becker he’d be out the door and if Hartford was smart they should’ve let Gallagher go when they had the chance.

Exactly.  Who'd want Gallagher.  His best years are only okay in my view.  Brown was an anomaly sticking around when he was winning early.  I don't think he's had a ton of calls lately.  

Edited by McFan
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems everyone has jumped the gun and has already labeled Benson as terrible. Everyone wants to point out WB doesn’t have the resources, but what are the facts on the whole athletic department as a whole? Benson can only work with what’s available in the budget correct? Do people mean that he’s holding out on funds to put into the basketball program? Donations have to have been higher than when he took over in 2014 and before the pandemic last year.

I saw a $10 million donation to the athletic department, a new scoreboard in sefcu, I believe more chair backs, and other minor upgrades. The NCAA lax quarterfinals are now coming to Albany in a few years. I wouldn’t say he’s done nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

It seems everyone has jumped the gun and has already labeled Benson as terrible. Everyone wants to point out WB doesn’t have the resources, but what are the facts on the whole athletic department as a whole? Benson can only work with what’s available in the budget correct? Do people mean that he’s holding out on funds to put into the basketball program? Donations have to have been higher than when he took over in 2014 and before the pandemic last year.

I saw a $10 million donation to the athletic department, a new scoreboard in sefcu, I believe more chair backs, and other minor upgrades. The NCAA lax quarterfinals are now coming to Albany in a few years. I wouldn’t say he’s done nothing.

He's done close to nothing...he deserves no credit for most of that stuff. Oh he'll claim credit but those close to the school knows he doesn't deserve it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clickclack said:

He's done close to nothing...he deserves no credit for most of that stuff. Oh he'll claim credit but those close to the school knows he doesn't deserve it. 

It may be, but if it happens under your watch while you are at the top you will receive the credit. Not everyone has close ties to that level of information so if you are just a casual fan you’ll think he’s done a good amount fair or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UA'08 said:

It may be, but if it happens under your watch while you are at the top you will receive the credit. Not everyone has close ties to that level of information so if you are just a casual fan you’ll think he’s done a good amount fair or not.

Fair enough...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The America East playoff format was forced to  change pretty much due to Albany. If the old school single host for the quarters and semis continued the way it was Benson would have done all he could to ensure the playoffs would be hosted at SEFCU forever. We’ll never know though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Benson is/was a money man [a bookkeeper to be more precise] NO MORE; and IMHO only so-so at that. I have attached part of his bio, you can read the whole thing on your own if desired. Says nothing about being an Athletic or Program Builder or A Leader of Men. As for communication skills, pretty sure there are few or any on this blog who can say anything positive.

During his time at Old Dominion, Benson was responsible for budget preparation and administration, as well as providing sport supervision for men’s and women’s sailing. Prior to his time at Old Dominion, Benson worked at Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. as an Educational Channel manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Benson is/was a money man [a bookkeeper to be more precise] NO MORE; and IMHO only so-so at that. I have attached part of his bio, you can read the whole thing on your own if desired. Says nothing about being an Athletic or Program Builder or A Leader of Men. As for communication skills, pretty sure there are few or any on this blog who can say anything positive.

During his time at Old Dominion, Benson was responsible for budget preparation and administration, as well as providing sport supervision for men’s and women’s sailing. Prior to his time at Old Dominion, Benson worked at Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. as an Educational Channel manager.

And do you think Albany wins the bidding to host the quarterfinals in 2023 without him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

It seems everyone has jumped the gun and has already labeled Benson as terrible. Everyone wants to point out WB doesn’t have the resources, but what are the facts on the whole athletic department as a whole? Benson can only work with what’s available in the budget correct? Do people mean that he’s holding out on funds to put into the basketball program? Donations have to have been higher than when he took over in 2014 and before the pandemic last year.

I saw a $10 million donation to the athletic department, a new scoreboard in sefcu, I believe more chair backs, and other minor upgrades. The NCAA lax quarterfinals are now coming to Albany in a few years. I wouldn’t say he’s done nothing.

His #1 job description is to build a budget to keep us competitive.  Full Stop.  if he can't, he should be replaced.  Donations have been higher at a miniscule level.

The $10 million donation was worked by the general development department, not lead by the Athletic Department.  It's a not so very secret fact.

He's done nothing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...