UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

5 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

And finally, I will go out and say it: BENSON HAS ONE FOOT OUT THE DOOR.  He is in the running for William and Mary.  I can't wait until the public records request comes out...

So he’s gotta be doing something right then if W&M who’s in a better position than UA is interested in him.

Did WB had one foot out the door back in 2006? 

Edited by UA'08

8 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

I just don’t get how it’s ok with putting this stuff out there when there’s no evidence of it lol. You can disparage Benson like that, but when it comes to WB he could have done no wrong.

Is your evidence me telling you who told me?  

Those who know me on this board, know I would not post the information unless it was true. And they know why I have some info. And so much more I still won't post because I just can't as its too personal. I have had so much of this information for years that I have held onto, with hopes Benson would not get his way. Now that he has, I'm ready to unload what I can, for those who can't due to their ties to the coaching staff and UA staff.  

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

So he’s gotta be doing something right then if W&M who’s in a better position than UA is interested in him.

Did WB had one foot out the door back in 2006? 

MMMM...nope.  W&M is in hotwater.  Their AD got canned for, you guessed it, unceremoniously firing their head basketball coach. 

Benson has connections to the state, to W&M, and experience.  They don't really give a $iena anymore about athletics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Those who know me on this board, know I would not post the information unless it was true. And they know why I have some info. I have had so much of this information for years that I have held onto, with hopes Benson would not get his way. Now that he has, I'm ready to unload for all of those who can't due to their ties to the coaching staff and UA staff.  

PREACH!!!!

This has been a cathartic, sad day. 

I honestly want to know if Havidan is going to even peek at Twitter and see the groundswell...look at Benson's performance...and say, "Wait a minute here..."

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

MMMM...nope.  W&M is in hotwater.  Their AD got canned for, you guessed it, unceremoniously firing their head basketball coach. 

Benson has connections to the state, to W&M, and experience.  They don't really give a $iena anymore about athletics. 

Did not know anything regarding that aspect. Just know they are in the CAA so bigger budget higher conference etc.

Comment was more geared to the one foot out the door thing.

15 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Ok, let's play numbers.  I don't count this season (freaking nightmare) and I don't count his first four because one was an interim, and the next three he was handcuffed in building a program by both admissions (believe me, I know deep details on this one) and the 5/8 rule.

So, in the 15 years since--admittedly good and bad years--he has gone 300 and 195, or 20-13 per season, with 5 NCAA appearances (once, every three years average).  He has had 26 All-Academic kids in that time.  He also had the unforeseen nightmare of the last three years with the Cremo and Nichols sudden departure....but that's on him to rebuild.

I know for a FACT that we were losing recruits due to the lack of COLA and, oh...get this...Benson REFUSES TO SUPPORT SUMMER SCHOOL.  Think about that!  He refused to fund it like every other team in the league does.  Do you know how hard that is to recruit with...and crap facilities.

So the man brought Albany to the NCAA's every three years, and won 20-13 per year.  Math may be a bit rust for me...but I will take a 606 win percentage any day of the week.

And this entire team (basically) was coming back.  Again, Coach had some things he needed to fix (I didn't like relying on only Albany guys for his staff...but that's his call)...a three year contract with 2 being guaranteed would have been fair.

But numbers DO NOT LIE...and the 15 year numbers I just put up would be taken by MANY schools better than Albany,.  There is a reason that Twitter is on fire today, from near and far, with people touched by Will Brown's leadership.  It's universally being stated as a SHOCK TERMINATION. 

Will you give the next coach a 4 year pass because the cupboard may be equally as empty when the dust stettles?

I also struggle w/ the Cremo/Nichols setting us back for so long.  They only had one year left.  Why would that damage us for 3+years.  

Fully on board w/ the Academic All Americans and stated it before he's seem to recruited quality kids.  Fully on board w/ Summer School too.  Facilities I struggle w/ and maybe unfair but it's a one word answer: Vermont.

I do think his style (playing) hurt his ability to recruit.  From what I'm told Cremo fell into his lap.  Other than that I mean for a  number of years we just haven't had great recruits.  Healy may have been one but I don't know if his numbers were inflated last year because we had no one else or this year was a fluke due to the injuries.  

It'll take a long time to know if this was the right move. If Twitter is the answer no one should worry about Will Brown.  Some mid major will snag him tomorrow right?  Who we get and where he goes will provide some answers I guess.

Edited by McFan

Man...some EYE OPENING revelations here. I have some very slight sources of sources type information that I occasionally hear but nothing to this magnitude. Did not realize it was this bad. Some of it is downright shameful.

MSGDG and Dane96 are my heroes.

1 minute ago, UA'08 said:

Did not know anything regarding that aspect. Just know they are in the CAA so bigger budget higher conference etc.

Comment was more geared to the one foot out the door thing.

Fair enough.  If the man has one foot out the door, he shouldn't be making these decisions in a vacuum.  Just my .02.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Those who know me on this board, know I would not post the information unless it was true. And they know why I have some info. And so much more I still won't post because I just can't as its too personal. I have had so much of this information for years that I have held onto, with hopes Benson would not get his way. Now that he has, I'm ready to unload what I can, for those who can't due to their ties to the coaching staff and UA staff.  

I don’t need names and it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m just saying it’s easy to say he/she did that to this person and they did this on a message board without proving its true. No one has explained why benson gave him a five year deal with two years left back in 2016 if he was telling him and his staff he was going to fire him. 

Fair enough.  If the man has one foot out the door, he shouldn't be making these decisions in a vacuum.  Just my .02.

Agree.  If he leaves after this kind of change that's not good.  I was going to use coward but thought better.

1 minute ago, McFan said:

Will give the next coach a 4 year pass because the cupboard may be equally as empty when the dust stettles?

I also struggle w/ the Cremo/Nichols setting us back for so long.  They only had one year left.  Why would that damage us for 3+years.  

Fully on board w/ the Academic All Americans and stated it before he's seem to recruited quality kids.  Fully on board w/ Summer School too.  Facilities I struggle w/ and maybe unfair but it's a one word answer: Vermont.

I do think his style (playing) hurt his ability to recruit.  From what I'm told Cremo fell into his lap.  Other than that I mean for a  number of years we just haven't had great recruits.  Healy may have been one but I don't know if his numbers were inflated last year because we had no one else or this year was a fluke due to the injuries.  

It'll take a long time to know if this was the right move. If Twitter is the answer no one should worry about Will Brown.  Some mid major will snag him tomorrow right?  Who we get and where he goes will provide some answers I guess.

Absolutely. In fact, I think the new coach shouldn't take the job unless he gets a max 5 year contract and guarantees on COLA, summer school, buy games, budget increases, and a real direction on SEFCU.

Otherwise, that Coach is dealing with the same cesspool that Brown was swimming in.  So, yes, I give the new coach a 5 year pass...hell with 4 years.

That's my big issue here: unless there is some special, unknown announcement about a major move in conferences or upgrades to SEFCU, this is a move to merely rid himself of someone who he straight up had zero relationship with.

So, at least we had a guy loyal to the school...who can get us some joy/highlights every few years, running a clean program. 

1 minute ago, UA'08 said:

I don’t need names and it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m just saying it’s easy to say he/she did that to this person and they did this on a message board without proving its true. No one has explained why benson gave him a five year deal with two years left back in 2016 if he was telling him and his staff he was going to fire him. 

Because he was coming off a 3 year championship run, that's why. Benson had only been here for a couple of years, he had to gain some trust in the Admin of the school.

Absolutely. In fact, I think the new coach shouldn't take the job unless he gets a max 5 year contract and guarantees on COLA, summer school, buy games, budget increases, and a real direction on SEFCU.

Otherwise, that Coach is dealing with the same cesspool that Brown was swimming in.  So, yes, I give the new coach a 5 year pass...hell with 4 years.

That's my big issue here: unless there is some special, unknown announcement about a major move in conferences or upgrades to SEFCU, this is a move to merely rid himself of someone who he straight up had zero relationship with.

So, at least we had a guy loyal to the school...who can get us some joy/highlights every few years, running a clean program. 

That's a fair viewpoint.  Realistic?  Not for a hungry coach w/ an ego looking for a job.  

3 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

I hear you. This can go around in circles lol. We can then say how is it ok for Benson to give a new contract extension to WB when he’s got one foot out too. In fact it’s probably even more ballsy to let him walk. The easy move that wouldn’t be scrutinized is if he just brought him back.