UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfers

32 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing if the team is stacked w/ JUCO's. What I am saying is expect almost no one from this year to be back. You want to take that as a positive, go for it.

When you say the roster will be filled by a "crap load of JUCOs" I'll tend to take that as a bad thing. No one takes high roster turnover is a positive, but it's not something we haven't seen within this program and other programs across the country. Coach Killings being unable to fill a roster is the least of my worries. Just look at the transfer portal. There's going to be grad transfers, 2-3 year transfers, JUCOS, and late signing period kids out of HS. 

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

There also isn't a single player on the current roster where it's an OMG I can't believe they're gone, what are we going to do now feeling.

I agree but the most important position is the point guard.  If CJ Kelly can come back and Will Amica stays and learns from him and plays 15-20 min a game, then we are set at PG for several years.  That will help the new coach immensely.

30 minutes ago, blorp said:

Very interesting...

His stats are not impressive (although generally got limited minutes) but he's still a Big East talent. Maybe Coach can bring him here to be closer to home and all that and he can be at least as good as Will Harris was.

Edited by Eli
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Eli said:

His stats are not impressive (although generally got limited minutes) but he's still a Big East talent. Maybe Coach can bring him here to be closer to home and all that and he can be at least as good as Will Harris was.

That blistering 14% from three this season has me salivating at what he can bring, lol.  Will see if he comes.  Only one year older than Amica so you would think they know each other from the Cuse area and may have played each other.

18 hours ago, nysteve661 said:
19 hours ago, Eli said:

That blistering 14% from three this season has me salivating at what he can bring, lol.  Will see if he comes.  Only one year older than Amica so you would think they know each other from the Cuse area and may have played each other.

Never said he'd be an impact player here, though who knows, but the idea that he is leaving Marquette and might be following Killings here seems to speak to Killings as a coach. I can't imagine upending my college career to follow your assistant coach to a lower tier school unless you really believe in his coaching philosophy and character.

And re: yesterday's discussion about whether entering the transfer portal means that the players are gone:

Only Healy, though, seems 100% set on leaving UAlbany. While Rizzuto has not responded to requests for comment from The Daily Gazette, Doles, Hutcheson, Horton and Taylor each confirmed Tuesday that staying with UAlbany remains an option for them.

“Oh, yeah. Oh, for sure,” Doles said during a phone interview. “For me, it’s just about making sure I cover all my bases. . . . Regardless of what happens, another coach could have a different opinion of this team and want to go into a different direction . . . so I have to make sure I protect myself first.”

“Honestly, I just want to see what’s out there,” Taylor said. “I haven’t made a decision yet what I want to do, but I wanted to put my name out there and see what different schools might be interested in me.”

Doles said it was an “automatic” decision to want to enter into the transfer portal after Brown’s dismissal. At the same time, he didn’t want to rule out playing for a different coach at the school he transferred to last year from Drexel.

“I’m happy here. I’ve enjoyed my time here and my teammates,” Doles said. “If everything works out, I definitely could see myself being back.”

https://dailygazette.com/2021/03/16/more-ualbany-mens-basketball-players-head-into-ncaa-transfer-portal-still-no-school-confirmation-that-killings-will-take-over-program/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blorp said:

Never said he'd be an impact player here, though who knows, but the idea that he is leaving Marquette and might be following Killings here seems to speak to Killings as a coach. I can't imagine upending my college career to follow your assistant coach to a lower tier school unless you really believe in his coaching philosophy and character.

And re: yesterday's discussion about whether entering the transfer portal means that the players are gone:

https://dailygazette.com/2021/03/16/more-ualbany-mens-basketball-players-head-into-ncaa-transfer-portal-still-no-school-confirmation-that-killings-will-take-over-program/

It’s pretty much, “will my scholarship be renewed” and “does this Killings already have his guys he thinks he can bring with him”.

• Like 1

I know Healey was hurt and all most of the year but I'd be more distraught with him leaving if he played like he did the year prior. Frankly, he was a tiny shell of himself. Maybe he can get healthy and help someone else but if he wants out then that's his choice and we all should wish him the best.

• Like 1

I am not sure if Champion gets another year however, a core of the following would be a VERY good core for Killings to short-fill with transfers:

Amica

Kelly

Horton

Rizzuto

Taylor

Doles

That is six scholarships and we are allowed 13.  Out of those 6, there will be 5 open in the 2022 cycle (meaning 5 graduate in the Spring of 22).  So I think Killings can definitely dole out 6this year, keeping one in his pocket for a mid-season transfer (13 total rides is the limit) and allowing him to start recruiting for 2022.  

Those numbers would depend on what is to come of Lulka, Shafer, Hutch, and Hank. I consider Healy gone unless something radically changes within him. 

I would have to think Lulka may be graduating...and may want to start life off...who knows.  He has a 4.0...that's incredible.  Hank is a Junior...not sure if he would want to stay if Lulka and Healy left.  If I were him, I would stay...you have only these years to enjoy...once in your life.  

I actually would like to see Shafer stay...I think he could be a valued contributor.  Hutch...he's one that I am struggling with based on the type of offense that Killings would likely run.  If Killings gets two bigs to support Doles and Taylor (irrespective if Lulka leaves or stays, I think we need two bigs), then I can see Hutch moving into the three spot as a backup to whomever is the starting three.

Honestly, I think UA would have done much better next season with this group of guys from 2021...and I think the core is there to ensure that...if Killings wants and gets them to stay.  Sounds like many of these kids would love to stay if they have an opportunity to be in anything other than a REBUILD.  For their Sr. Season...they will want a chance at the tourney. I think UA can have that chance if Killings recruits well.  That's his strength. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

This one stings...the fact that he just went into portal after DK was named and I'm sure he's spoken to him probably means he's gone. Hope I'm wrong. 

Maybe he believes he’ll have interest from higher up programs based on this past season?