UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2023

So we have 3 commits for next season so far, and only 2 graduations in Patel and Davis? Am I missing something or is Verbal Commits not correct for this year?

I know we have to assume transfers out in today's world, but not sure how you can give a scholly for someone who hasn't left yet.

For 2022-23 - 13 Scholarships, 1 Walk-on

• Sr. - Patel and Davis
  • Jr. - Drumgoole, Hutcheson, Schafer
  • So. - Amica, Edmead, Little, Reddish, Neely, Kellogg, Ketner
  • Fr. - Jackson (WO), Beagle

Commits for 2023-24

• Adnan, Margoupis, Robinson
Edited by godanesgo99

50 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

So we have 3 commits for next season so far, and only 2 graduations in Patel and Davis? Am I missing something or is Verbal Commits not correct for this year?

I know we have to assume transfers out in today's world, but not sure how you can give a scholly for someone who hasn't left yet.

For 2022-23 - 13 Scholarships, 1 Walk-on

Sr. - Patel and Davis

Jr. - Drumgoole, Hutcheson, Schafer

So. - Amica, Edmead, Little, Reddish, Neely, Kellogg, Ketner

Fr. - Jackson (WO), Beagle

Commits for 2023-24

Adnan, Margoupis, Robinson

Hutcheson and Schafer will be gone...so will Patel and Davis...and I believe Drumgoole is also maxed out...but maybe one more year.  

Verbal commits is wrong. 

Are you sure? Hutch has 3 years on the team plus this year is 4, then the extra COVID year.

Shafer has only appeared in games during 2 seasons. Missed all of last year and used a red shirt before UA. Add a COVID year and he should still have another after this season.

Drumgoole has appeared in games in 3 seasons (2 at Pitt, 1 at UA) so he should have this year and the COVID year.

Obviously any of these guys could graduate as well, but VC looks correct unless there is no more COVID year for people who were underclassmen during the pandemic.

18 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Are you sure? Hutch has 3 years on the team plus this year is 4, then the extra COVID year.

Shafer has only appeared in games during 2 seasons. Missed all of last year and used a red shirt before UA. Add a COVID year and he should still have another after this season.

Drumgoole has appeared in games in 3 seasons (2 at Pitt, 1 at UA) so he should have this year and the COVID year.

Obviously any of these guys could graduate as well, but VC looks correct unless there is no more COVID year for people who were underclassmen during the pandemic.

Read what I wrote:  I said Hutchand Shafer will be gone, so Verbal Commits is wrong.  Verbal Commits merely lists players by the year put on rosters, that is all.  Per my understanding, Shafer is not here now...not sure what is up with that and it is somewhat surprising.  Could be wrong on Hutch not continuing next year...I'd be surprised though. Would be VERY happy to have him back.  He's a glue guy who can give you a good 20mpg and have some really good nights to lift a team.

Shafer is not listed on the team roster. 

So per my understanding, Patel, Davis, Shafer are gone for next year.  Hutch is super likely to be as well...but gladly happy to see him come back. The one player I said is maxxed out, and I was wrong...forgot his years and that he medically redshirted last year, is Drumgoole.  Would be GREAT to see him be even 1/2 the player he was supposed to be before his knee gave him fits for two seasons.  

Per my first sentence, in the last paragraph, that is how you have room for at least three scholarships for the three coming in. 

Them being gone for one reason or another is one thing, and none of that was publicly known until you posted it, as far as I knew anyway.

At the end of the day I was talking about eligibility to return. Drumgoole, Shafer, and Hutch should all have at least 1 year of eligibility left after playing this season, if they play this season. 

Inside info on who is there, who will actually be on the team this season, and who has already said they are graduating and/or not returning regardless of eligibility has not been stated anywhere I have seen before you posted it.

Edited by godanesgo99

• 1 month later...

My best attempt at making sense of VC's site right now (cross referenced with UA's roster):

UAlbany Men's Roster 2023-2024					

Name			Position	Height	Weight	Year	Status
Japannah Kellogg III	PF		6'8"	190	Sr.	Returning
Tairi Ketner		PF		6'7"	263	Jr.	Returning
Jonathan Beagle		PF		6'9"	220	So.	Returning
Justin Neely		SF		6'5"	205	Jr.	Returning
Aaron Reddish		SF		6'7"	185	Jr.	Returning
Ny'Mire Little		SG		6'4"	203	Jr.	Returning
Marcus Jackson		SG		6'3"	180	So.	Returning
Malik Edmead		PG		5'10"	165	Sr.	Returning
Will Amica		PG		6'0"	160	Jr.	Returning
Free Scholarship					
Free Scholarship					
Free Scholarship					
Free Scholarship					

Possible Signings	Position	Height	Weight	Year	Status
Gavin Walsh		SF		6'7"	205	Fr.	Offered
Peyton Smith		SF		6'7"	220	Fr.	Offered
Elijah Wilborn		SF		6'7"	185	Fr.	Offered
Shane Cercone		SG		6'5"	TBD	Fr.	Offered
Cooper Wright		SG		6'5"	TBD	Fr.	Offered
Armoni Zeigler		SG		6'5"	TBD	Fr.	Offered
Bangaly Berete		SG		6'4"	TBD	Fr.	Offered
Damani Barley		PG		6'5"	155	Fr.	Offered
Malik Olafioye		PG		6'0"	155	Fr.	Offered
Darryl Simmons II	PG		5'8"	TBD	Fr.	Offered
=========================================================================
Thomas Haugh		PF		6'9"	200	Fr.	Florida
Augustus Gerhart	PF		6'9"	TBD	Fr.	Penn
Matt Mayock		SF		6'6"	190	Fr.	American
Anthony Finkley		SF		6'6"	TBD	Fr.	St. Josephs
Joe Nugent		SF		6'6"	TBD	Fr.	Holy Cross
Horace Simmons		SF		6'6"	TBD	Fr.	Drexel
Zion Stanford		SF		6'5"	TBD	Fr.	Temple
Jayden Ndjigue		SG		6'4"	TBD	Fr.	UMass
Miles Rose		SG		6'3"	160	Fr.	St. Bonaventure
Seyphon Triplett	PG		6'1"	TBD	Fr.	Stonehill
Jordan Clayton		PG		6'0"	TBD	Fr.	Northwestern

Possible Departures	Reason				

Departures		Reason					
Da'Kquan Davis		Graduated				
Trey Hutcheson		Graduated				
Sarju Patel		Graduated				
Gerald Drumgoole, Jr	Graduated

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

It's my understanding he has another year if he wants it.  

Yeah, but for now I'm including him as done after this just in case since we don't know their intentions until after the season. 

Officially signed are

Jack Margoupis- 6'8 G/F.  He is heading off to Cushing this year to challenge himself, he will be at the SF spot with another D1 commit to Akron. His center is going to Santa Clara.

Cornelius "Boog" Robinson- 6'6 F.  Chose Albany over Monmouth and Fairfield.  Dude is a man-child. High School teammates were DJ Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw.  

Not sure if Zane Adnan has signed yet. 6'2 G

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The state of New Jersey is apparently investigating Boog Robinson's Camden High team for possible recruiting violations. There's a hearing next week.

Camden is ranked #6 in the country in the preseason polls. Not sure how the investigation will impact them but they should have some games on ESPN.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2022/11/camden-basketball-no-1-recruit-dj-wagner-could-face-serious-penalties-for-possible-recruiting-violations.html

• 2 months later...

With this season all but over, I wanted to check in to see how the 3 freshman recruits for next year were doing. Checked out Robinson first... Not looking good. I have no idea what led up to the melee, so this could have been something that was building up and him just responding or it being part of something bigger, but here it appears he punches a guy setting a screen in the face. Hope this incident isn't as bad as it seems. He had some pretty good offers. Based on this it seems he was a better fit for his offer from Bryant, but I am only basing this on the 18 second clip.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/2023/02/16/camden-county-basketball-championship-between-camden-eastside-stopped-for-fight/69907493007/

Edited by godanesgo99

As for recruiting, perhaps, we should take a wait and see until March 10, 2023.  If there is going to be a change in coaching, the change is likely to occur right after our season's end.  For the clip, god only knows what occurred leading up to the swing.  Unfortunately, his punch landed squarely in the opponent's face.  If this comes to the coach's attention, he likely has to have a discussion with Vic and/or Mark about the recruit's future.  Perhaps, it was an isolated incident and out of character for this recruit to take a swing at an opposing player.