Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Should the University at Albany enforce their In-Door Face Mask Requirement for MBB & WBB games @ SEFCU Arena?


Should the University at Albany enforce their In-Door Face Mask Requirement for MBB & WBB @ SEFCU Arena?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

At game number 1 (MBB), the enforcement of the UAlbany rule requiring a face mask was not enforce despite an email sent on game day and announcement during the game.  What should the University at Albany do going forward? Enforce or not....do whatever you please...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's really simple IMO. If you believe that your vaccine works and that your mask works, then you do you and enjoy both. The guy next to you not wearing his mask shouldn't matter to you as you will be fine. If you are unable to be vaccinated, then your mask should be enough to protect you in such a large open environment. It's not a confined space and should have a high quality air filtration system anyway. 

That is...if they (masks) truly work lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Capital District test results for 11-14-2021, showed some of the highest infection rates ever with the rolling 7 day average among the worst in the State of New York.

I support the Syracuse University policy for attending in-door athletic events:

  • Proof of vaccination or
  • Proof of COVID free test result within 72 hours of the event and
  • Wear a mask at the event

In essence, the University at Albany, failed to enforce the rules and practices to stop the spread of COVID-19, the University had in place to protect students, staff and others.  The University at Albany had sent a reminder email of the requirement to wear a mask while inside a university facility. With a reported 4200 people in SEFCU Arena, the area is a confined space.

Eli, this is not about an individual, it is about protecting the greater community.  

 

Edited by cwdickens
clarification
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cwdickens said:

The Capital District test results for 11-14-2021, showed some of the highest infection rates ever with the rolling 7 day average among the worst in the State of New York.

I support the Syracuse University policy for attending in-door athletic events:

  • Proof of vaccination or
  • Proof of COVID free test result within 72 hours of the event and
  • Wear a mask at the event

In essence, the University at Albany, failed to enforce the rules and practices to stop the spread of COVID-19, the University had in place to protect students, staff and others.  The University at Albany had sent a reminder email of the requirement to wear a mask while inside a university facility. With a reported 4200 people in SEFCU Arena, the area is a confined space.

Eli, this is not about an individual, it is about protecting the greater community.  

 

That's cool. Now look at Florida's rolling average for the same time period. As of 11/13, according to mayoclinic.org, it was 7 cases per 100,000.

Anyway, either side of the issue can find numbers or reasons for their stance but at the end of day, it IS an individual issue that IS highly politicized for a variety of reasons. 

If you feel safer with your mask, then wear your mask. Let others make that choice for themselves. If the University isn't enforcing the rules then just keep it movin; not your concern. 

Edited by Eli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have no problem providing proof of vaccine nor would I have a problem not doing so.  

My opinion is that I support doing whatever the university asks or enforces. 

If someone has an issue with the way UA enforces something then stay home.  Very easy.  Your choice.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watch from the comfort of my family room where I don’t need to worry about it. And I’m vaxed and boosted. I typically wear a mask in stores and other busy indoor places. I made a decision long ago to not attend any events that required me to show proof of vaccination. My choice. Each can do what they want to do. But if the university says to wear a mask in the arena...wear a mask. You chose to go, you follow the rules. I wear a mask when I go to my doctor and it stays on unless she needs to look in my nose and mouth. That’s the rules. I want to see my doctor? I follow her rules. I turned 21 when Jimmy Carter was President. Want to buy beer at Minogues? They need to scan my license. Those are the rules. If my favorite restaurant requires me to prove I’m vaccinated, it no longer is my favorite restaurant. My choice. You do what you think is right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, cwdickens said:

The Capital District test results for 11-14-2021, showed some of the highest infection rates ever with the rolling 7 day average among the worst in the State of New York.

I support the Syracuse University policy for attending in-door athletic events:

  • Proof of vaccination or
  • Proof of COVID free test result within 72 hours of the event and
  • Wear a mask at the event

In essence, the University at Albany, failed to enforce the rules and practices to stop the spread of COVID-19, the University had in place to protect students, staff and others.  The University at Albany had sent a reminder email of the requirement to wear a mask while inside a university facility. With a reported 4200 people in SEFCU Arena, the area is a confined space.

Eli, this is not about an individual, it is about protecting the greater community.  

 

Why the university failed to enforce its own policy is the issue—but that policy is one on which some high-risk people might've based their decision to attend. I hope that will change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jammaster said:

Why the university failed to enforce its own policy is the issue—but that policy is one on which some high-risk people might've based their decision to attend. I hope that will change.

I’d say that high risk people should control their situation as best as they can. In other words, vaccinate, boost, wear the best mask they can get and avoid crowds whenever possible. Don’t take the chance and go to a crowded indoor event when there is the alternative of watching from home. I saw a couple of guys get rousted at a lax playoff game because they had some contraband beer. Apparently masks aren’t worth enforcing despite the supposed risk involved. The beer is dangerous. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, cwdickens said:

The Capital District test results for 11-14-2021, showed some of the highest infection rates ever with the rolling 7 day average among the worst in the State of New York.

I support the Syracuse University policy for attending in-door athletic events:

  • Proof of vaccination or
  • Proof of COVID free test result within 72 hours of the event and
  • Wear a mask at the event

In essence, the University at Albany, failed to enforce the rules and practices to stop the spread of COVID-19, the University had in place to protect students, staff and others.  The University at Albany had sent a reminder email of the requirement to wear a mask while inside a university facility. With a reported 4200 people in SEFCU Arena, the area is a confined space.

Eli, this is not about an individual, it is about protecting the greater community.  

 

Umm I was at the carrier dome. Masks were extremely rare. Hold a beer in your hand and slowly take sips. I know it's unsafe to not wear a mask indoors without the magic of a restaurant table to protect you. Without that table you are at risk.

I know you are concerned about protecting the students, but as I looked around, 75% or more of the people not wearing masks were students. SUNY employees and students have had a vaccine requirement for a while now. They are all vaccinated.

14 hours ago, UA1882 said:

If someone has an issue with the way UA enforces something then stay home.  Very easy.  Your choice.  

This times 100

At the end of the day, if you don't feel that your vaccine works, and you don't feel that your mask works, then stay home and watch it on the internet/TV. 

If you can't afford an ESPN3/+ subscription to watch from home, PM me with your sob story. If you are truly poor enough to not be able to afford the couple bucks a month it costs I'll buy a subscription for you. Anything I can do to keep you safe as part of the purplefam. I can even provide you tech support so you can learn to watch it on a TV instead of a phone or laptop.

Full disclosure: my wife is currently positive for COVID even though she had the vaccine and the booster shot. I'm negative and so are my kids. Multiple tests over the last 10 days. I bring that up to show that I understand the vaccine isn't 100% and I'm not coming from a place of ignorance. The vaccine worked for my family as only 1 out of 4 of us got it.

If you can't take the risk of infection don't show up. The only real way to end this is for all the unvaccinated people to actually catch it anyway to build their natural immunity anyway.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of respect for the university policy I am my 2 kids wore a mask and I think we'll do that for foreseeable future. We l had covid and have natural immunity so others not wearing masks doesn't move the emotional needle for me. It's just funny to me how freaked out vaxed and boosted people get with their masks on...does the vaccine and mask work or not? Make up your mind...what if you catch a flu or cold?

Edited by Clickclack
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Umm I was at the carrier dome. Masks were extremely rare. Hold a beer in your hand and slowly take sips. I know it's unsafe to not wear a mask indoors without the magic of a restaurant table to protect you. Without that table you are at risk.

😂😂😂 Love it. 

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

If you can't take the risk of infection don't show up. The only real way to end this is for all the unvaccinated people to actually catch it anyway to build their natural immunity anyway.

Yep, and actually, it looks like the authority figures are starting to recognize natural immunity. 

I'm in Cancún right now and they changed the rules (effective 11/8) that you need to get tested 3 days before going back to the states; now it's 1 day for the unvaxxed. BUT, the new guidelines also state that if you have recovered from COVID in the past 60 days (I think it was 60, may be 90) and can prove it, you also don't need a test just like a vaxxed person. 

We need to be done with this charade. Just let it run its course like the flu does each year. People will die. You or I may die. But people die every day. We will all succumb to something eventually. If you want to wear your mask, do it. If you don't, don't. Forcing people to stop living life (going to events and such) or worse lose their careers over a shot is insane. Governments around the world did a ton of damage (IMO) to their economies and citizens over the past 2 years. 

I saw the Chichen Itza today and had to wear my mask, outside, the entire time. It sucked. And that was in November when it was 80F. I can't imagine trying to do this in June when it's 100F+.

TL;DR: You do you folks! 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To GoDamesGo99, I was at the Carrier Dome for the SU - UAlbany football game, what I witness if you refused to wear a mask, you were escorted out of the Dome unless you were consuming food and/or beverage.

Their current practice at the Dome can be found here: https://www.localsyr.com/orange-nation/syracuse-university-changing-some-gameday-covid-guidelines-how-will-you-be-affected/

While I do not expect the University at Albany to go the Syracuse University policy and practice, I expect the UAlbany to follow the policy and practices it has in place.  In particular, when the University at Albany sends reminder emails of their policy and practice.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

To GoDamesGo99, I was at the Carrier Dome for the SU - UAlbany football game, what I witness if you refused to wear a mask, you were escorted out of the Dome unless you were consuming food and/or beverage.

Their current practice at the Dome can be found here: https://www.localsyr.com/orange-nation/syracuse-university-changing-some-gameday-covid-guidelines-how-will-you-be-affected/

While I do not expect the University at Albany to go the Syracuse University policy and practice, I expect the UAlbany to follow the policy and practices it has in place.  In particular, when the University at Albany sends reminder emails of their policy and practice.

I was at the same game, but I was not in the UA section. I was in the front row of the upper section near the 50 yard line using my corporate tickets. Maybe they extra selected the UA faithful. In my area everyone was drinking their beers and eating their food as slow as possible. It was hard to find a mask. No one said a thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jammaster said:

Why the university failed to enforce its own policy is the issue—but that policy is one on which some high-risk people might've based their decision to attend. I hope that will change.

 

12 hours ago, Eli said:

😂😂😂 Love it. 

Yep, and actually, it looks like the authority figures are starting to recognize natural immunity. 

I'm in Cancún right now and they changed the rules (effective 11/8) that you need to get tested 3 days before going back to the states; now it's 1 day for the unvaxxed. BUT, the new guidelines also state that if you have recovered from COVID in the past 60 days (I think it was 60, may be 90) and can prove it, you also don't need a test just like a vaxxed person. 

We need to be done with this charade. Just let it run its course like the flu does each year. People will die. You or I may die. But people die every day. We will all succumb to something eventually. If you want to wear your mask, do it. If you don't, don't. Forcing people to stop living life (going to events and such) or worse lose their careers over a shot is insane. Governments around the world did a ton of damage (IMO) to their economies and citizens over the past 2 years. 

I saw the Chichen Itza today and had to wear my mask, outside, the entire time. It sucked. And that was in November when it was 80F. I can't imagine trying to do this in June when it's 100F+.

TL;DR: You do you folks! 

Apparently eating food makes you immune as well. Remember when you couldn’t just go into an establishment and get a drink...but also had to buy food...only not just chips, because chips don’t protect you. Had to order more expensive stuff because helping the establishments bottom line makes the covid stay away from you. I once stood behind a woman at a donut shop at the Fort Lauderdale airport who was absolutely grilling the counter person over what wasn’t or was handled in the donut shop. Why? Because her kid had a severe peanut allergy and could DIE if he ate anything that came even close to a peanut. It went on and on as people in line groused. The supervisor was summoned. My only thought was...I needed coffee and a donut. And maybe that if your kid is so sensitive to peanuts You SHOULD NOT BUY HIM FOOD at an airport donut shop. Same thing here to all complaining. Write a letter...stay home and watch on TV....complain to security if you feel threatened....You do you. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...