UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Should the University at Albany enforce their In-Door Face Mask Requirement for MBB & WBB games @ SEFCU Arena?

Should the University at Albany enforce their In-Door Face Mask Requirement for MBB & WBB @ SEFCU Arena?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the University at Albany enforce their In-Door Face Mask Requirement for MBB & WBB games @ SEFCU Arena?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2021 at 12:59 AM

33 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Apparently eating food makes you immune as well. Remember when you couldn’t just go into an establishment and get a drink...but also had to buy food...only not just chips, because chips don’t protect you. Had to order more expensive stuff because helping the establishments bottom line makes the covid stay away from you. I once stood behind a woman at a donut shop at the Fort Lauderdale airport who was absolutely grilling the counter person over what wasn’t or was handled in the donut shop. Why? Because her kid had a severe peanut allergy and could DIE if he ate anything that came even close to a peanut. It went on and on as people in line groused. The supervisor was summoned. My only thought was...I needed coffee and a donut. And maybe that if your kid is so sensitive to peanuts You SHOULD NOT BUY HIM FOOD at an airport donut shop. Same thing here to all complaining. Write a letter...stay home and watch on TV....complain to security if you feel threatened....You do you. 

Perhaps you could have provided her a list of places she was allowed to eat and questions that she was allowed to ask 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bob87 said:

Perhaps you could have provided her a list of places she was allowed to eat and questions that she was allowed to ask 🤣🤣

You had to be there. When the poor counter person could not assure her that a peanut was ever close to to a donut or any of its ingredients, she got an immediate attitude and shouted that her son could die. She was brutal and wouldn’t drop it. My point is that her son’s health should not be left up to a donut shop counter person. Bring acceptable food with you so you don’t jeopardize his health.

• Like 1

My point is if they couldn't serve you walk away. When I was at a layover at LAX on the way back from Australia in 2020, the chain sub place screwed up the 2 orders right before mine and when they couldn't even repeat my order back without screwing it up, I told them forget about it. I ordered a basic sandwich , probably turkey LT mayo. You aren't exactly getting the best and brightest at those places in an airport and it isn't worth the hassle to me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As of yesterday, despite the University at Albany own self impose rule of face masks inside any University facility without regard of vacination status, the face mask rule was not enforced at SEFCU Arena.  My question: Why bother having signage outside the SEFCU Arena requiring face mask if you are not going to enforce the rule?

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

As of yesterday, despite the University at Albany own self impose rule of face masks inside any University facility without regard of vacination status, the face mask rule was not enforced at SEFCU Arena.  My question: Why bother having signage outside the SEFCU Arena requiring face mask if you are not going to enforce the rule?

That's an administration question... Though as of today this is now a state mandate so they must comply. Especially if it's a game that is aired people will be able to see them not following it and being in the capital region I'm sure they will get a call quickly from county or state health department... Maybe there's a way to report non-compliant businesses. There was previously. 

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MRSGDG said:

That's an administration question... Though as of today this is now a state mandate so they must comply. Especially if it's a game that is aired people will be able to see them not following it and being in the capital region I'm sure they will get a call quickly from county or state health department... Maybe there's a way to report non-compliant businesses. There was previously. 

I don't think there would be a call. Only because high school players are suppose to wear masks at all times.  Have you watched the highlights on TV? They all have them around the chin.  All of them. The health department would need to make a ton of calls . Possible . Yes.  Probable . No. 

I confronted Mark Benson a couple weeks ago and asked him why the Athletic Department was not enforcing the ‘required masks indoors’ policy. He told me that it was too hard to enforce and they don’t have the resources to go into the stands after people not wearing their masks.  He said that other similar venues like the Times Union Center were not requiring masks.

I shared this information with Justin Brown this past Saturday. He agreed that this response was unacceptable and that the University needed to do a better job in light of the state’s new mask requirement. He said he was once again going to bring up the question of how they are going to do this at the weekly staff meeting.

We attended the women’s basketball game at Colgate the weekend before last. Attendees were required to provide proof of vaccination, were given a wristband, and required to wear a mask. The exception were the players, coaching staff, as well as you were allowed to remove your mask if eating or drinking. Attendees everywhere seem to take advantage of this and never put their masks back on when finished snacking. Granted Colgate is a much smaller university than UA, but the fans, including students, were compliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Masks are a joke, people are over but the gestapo government officials and a few people afraid of their own shadow...they are useless, a charade if you will. I wore it on Saturday as did probably 90% of arena but it's impossible to enforce. What, is someone going to go into the stands after every fan who has it down for 5 minutes and do what? If you are that scared $ienaless, tune in on TV. Sure, you can remind folks and even require when they enter the facility but if you think the mask is going to save you from Covid, well, you're just crazy. Do people think that the virus stops spreading while you are stuffing your mouth only to again start up spreading once the food stops entering the pie hole? Can't believe we are still on this ridiculous topic of masks and that there are people bent enough to show up and then sit and brood about why isn't that guy wearing a mask...Amazing, hell that will never end. 

Athletic department should encourage it to stay compliant with government regulation as best they can or give themselves plausible deniability and those who are scared to death should stay home. Everyone knows the risk...wearing a thin piece of cloth or not wearing it while eating and *gasp* breathing hardly reduced your chance of death. So just sit home...it's safe there, forever! If you have immunity, out of respect for others around, sure throw it on but let's call it the charade that it is. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The people who complain about mask wearing (or lack thereof) are probably the same people who do the speed limit in the left lane of the Northway. They think it's their job to keep everyone in line. They should promptly get over themselves or sit at home where people without masks can't infect them or where speeders can't crash into them.

We're 2 years into this. COVID is here to stay. It's the new flu. It will be seasonal and have peaks/valleys from here on out. Look at what is happening in the NBA...particularly the Chicago Bulls. Damn near whole team is in the protocol and all of them are vaccinated/boostered. Multiple games post-poned.

These mandates have destroyed so much. Look at Washington State. They can't find plow drivers for their snow season...because they fired 150 of them for not being vaccinated. Or airlines. Or hospitals. Or you name it. They all fired people over this nonsense that is here to stay and now are paying the consequences. Edit: And we haven't even touched on effects mandates/lockdowns have had on the mental aspect of society; depression through the roof, etc.

People need to give it a rest. Do what you see fit for yourself (wear or don't wear a mask) but otherwise move on with life.

Tattling on Benson (even though most of us can't stand the guy) or calling the county to report businesses is such ridiculous thing to hear, much less think about. Meanwhile numerous politicians, nationwide (and even across the pond) are being caught not following their own mandates - because they are nonsense and they know it. 

Move. On.

Edit: I'll be wearing my mask like a good stooge against Bucknell when I'm in town and have worn my mask in FL when required to do so (doctors, etc.). Still think it's a useless exercise. 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tnehurley said:

I confronted Mark Benson a couple weeks ago and asked him why the Athletic Department was not enforcing the ‘required masks indoors’ policy. He told me that it was too hard to enforce and they don’t have the resources to go into the stands after people not wearing their masks.  He said that other similar venues like the Times Union Center were not requiring masks.

I shared this information with Justin Brown this past Saturday. He agreed that this response was unacceptable and that the University needed to do a better job in light of the state’s new mask requirement. He said he was once again going to bring up the question of how they are going to do this at the weekly staff meeting.

We attended the women’s basketball game at Colgate the weekend before last. Attendees were required to provide proof of vaccination, were given a wristband, and required to wear a mask. The exception were the players, coaching staff, as well as you were allowed to remove your mask if eating or drinking. Attendees everywhere seem to take advantage of this and never put their masks back on when finished snacking. Granted Colgate is a much smaller university than UA, but the fans, including students, were compliant.

Just a reminder....Syracuse and Colgate are follwing the same practice...I went to the SU-Albany FB and an extended family member reported no changes at SU based on attending a recent MBB game ....if a small and a large institutions can do it...well Albany can too....tnehurley....thanks for a well written commentary.....spoke with Vic Cegeles same response as Benson's.

Do not think Covid is a reality; if everyone followed the protocols and got vaccinated we would have beaten this by now We beat polio and numerous other even more difficult to fight diseases; because people followed the science and did what was required.

So maybe it is a reality now because too many people are so self centered and love to use “personal” freedom to get their own way; rather than do what is good for all humankind. 

ps It is not just my opinion that Covid does not need to be a reality. My son is a phd in a school of public health. Health care professionals in huge #s KNOW it can be wiped out; and just laugh and shake their heads at the stupidity preventing them from doing their job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Do not think Covid is a reality; if everyone followed the protocols and got vaccinated we would have beaten this by now We beat polio and numerous other even more difficult to fight diseases; because people followed the science and did what was required.

So maybe it is a reality now because too many people are so self centered and love to use “personal” freedom to get their own way; rather than do what is good for all humankind. 

ps It is not just my opinion that Covid does not need to be a reality. My son is a phd in a school of public health. Health care professionals in huge #s KNOW it can be wiped out; and just laugh and shake their heads at the stupidity preventing them from doing their job.

Not for nothing but I can throw a rock and hit someone in the medical field who disagrees with your son. Not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, but just that even people in the medical community don't agree. The world basically stopped in the beginning to the point where animals were coming back into cities and the vibration of the earth changed due to no traffic, etc...and it didn't stop anything. 

Until someone can explain how sitting down at a table with no mask is safer than standing next to very same table without a mask, it's a farce made to make people feel like they are doing something 'for humanity'. So again, to reiterate, if people want to wear their masks and feel like they are super hero's saving humanity? Have at it. But don't force everyone to be a 'hero' or fire people over not wanting to be a 'hero' (the quotes are important). We see where that gets us...supply chain issues, staffing shortages, breakdown in public services, costs through the roof, etc. 

World is insane and wild these days. 

Edited by Eli
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1