UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

96 is correct. There are good reasons program wise. We are apparently stuck with him for 2022 whether we like it or not. Without an extension, it makes recruiting even more difficult. If, for example, he got a two year extension that was entirely performance based.  Winning record in 2022 in both conference and overall....or bye bye with a minimal see ya later buyout. Same deal for 2023. Gives maximum incentive to perform, eases recruiting, gives fans hope for change. Not saying I like the idea, but if that kind of a contract was legal, then it may be an option with minimal risk. But we wont know until we see. GG is not exactly in a strong position when it comes to negotiating, so maybe a Hail Mary approach is all he’s got and MB bit on the fake. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

96 is correct. There are good reasons program wise. We are apparently stuck with him for 2022 whether we like it or not. Without an extension, it makes recruiting even more difficult. If, for example, he got a two year extension that was entirely performance based.  Winning record in 2022 in both conference and overall....or bye bye with a minimal see ya later buyout. Same deal for 2023. Gives maximum incentive to perform, eases recruiting, gives fans hope for change. Not saying I like the idea, but if that kind of a contract was legal, then it may be an option with minimal risk. But we wont know until we see. GG is not exactly in a strong position when it comes to negotiating, so maybe a Hail Mary approach is all he’s got and MB bit on the fake. 

Winner, winner…chicken dinner

Exactly how I would (and think is) structure a contract extension.  Also why we saw two staff members let go.  

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

And what if he lucks into a winning record? Make no mistake...based on close to a decade of returns, this would be pure dumb luck. Which would be he second winning record in 9 years...will Benson extend him with further guarantees? Benson continues to knee-cap this program with not ripping off this Band-Aid. Gattuso has shown for years he can't coach, can't recruit and can't win. This is prolonging the inevitable...what in year 9 and 10 he'll figure it out. What a brutal position Benson has put himself in. 

I put the chance at Benson doing this with a minimal or zero buyout at zero %. Last time around Gattuso got an extension...he sucked, and Benson fully guaranteed all 5 years. Gattuso continues to shamelessly steal money from this University while he pretends to "coach". Disgusting...Will Brown was fired/dismissed having achieved 50x what Gattuso has done and yet he's gone while Benson continues to reward Gattuso (allegedly). Man, I really hope this isn't true...

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Gattuso extended until 2024. Mark Singelais breaking it.  

Benson said deal in place prior to 2-9 COVID season

Absolutely disaster...this football program is dead to me. I won't be back. I'll vote the only way I know how...with my wallet.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is just mind boggling. Why does Benson keep giving out extensions prior to the final year of a deal? This basically means they agreed to this after the impressive, once in a decade (literally), 2019 season. At which point Gattuso still had multiple years left on his current deal. 

I'm done with UA football for a few years looks like. They won't see a dollar from me. I'll follow the train wreck on here or via ESPN but that's about it. 

• Like 2

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-coach-Greg-Gattuso-gets-contract-16725680.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

For those that can't read behind the paywall, Mark did a great job.  Singelais that is....

Mark Benson just did Mark Benson things.  

Let me clear something up for you Mark Benson, that 2019 season was NOT  "...the best season in the history of this program."  With all due respect, that's some gaslighting right there.  Let's just go on pure statistics:  The 1999, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2011, and 2012 Division 1 seasons were ALL better than the 2019 season that you justified this extension over.  You just discredited Coach Ford with your gaslighting, something even HOF and CWDickens should be angry over.  Are you basing this on a playoff win over a completely overmatched team, and forgetting the following week we looked like CCSU when we played Montana St?!

Secondly, we made the playoffs in 2011, as an NEC team, and lost literally on the last play of the game, on the road against a very good Stony Brook team that went on to lose the next game at the very end, by a touchdown.  The winner of that game, Sam Houston St., went on to lose to NDSU in the National Title game, by 9.

Not trying to take anything away from the 2019 team, however that was a weaker CAA schedule based on how the scheduling worked.  And let's not kid ourselves on the OOC.  We lost to Central Michigan (who had a semi-sold FBS year), beat an awful, awful Bryant team, lost to a decent Monmouth team that got smoked by JMU in the playoffs (our peer), and beat an awful Lafayette team.  In short, we had a pretty cupcake schedule or at best, middle-of the road.  We weren't beating the top CAA teams that year nor beating a team like Monmouth, who we should have beaten.

Then in the playoffs we get all excited about destroying CCSU...but fail to remember that it looked like we didn't belong on the field with Montana St. but for about 10 minutes of the game.

So before you gaslight all of us, do some solid research.

Or simply state the truth-- I am giving the man one last chance, with a reduced buyout so UA can move on if we deem it to be in our best interests.  We all know this helps recruiting, just don't B.S. us.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-coach-Greg-Gattuso-gets-contract-16725680.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Or simply state the truth-- I am giving the man one last chance, with a reduced buyout so UA can move on if we deem it to be in our best interests.  We all know this helps recruiting, just don't B.S. us.

Very generous of you....Mark Benson flat out needs to be fired over this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have zero reason to pay attention to this program. What an utter joke. Rewarding below mediocrity on the field. What in the hell are we doing here? He just went 2-9 and had ONE good season, which was slightly above avg for a CAA program. Pure and utter garbage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1