UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gattuso Extended....going back to the discussion...my brother (UAlbany & Syracuse U grad) Economics, now lives in Delaware; follows/attends University of Delaware sports, monitors Delaware Blue Hen forum....His word for each institution's decision: ECONOMICS. My brother explained there are serious fans and football alumni with deep pockets, along with substantial endowment at UD.  His neighbor, a UD grad said "ah....the deep pockets came in to rescue the program" because UD viewed their decision as cost effective. So instead of having a lame duck football coach UD and thier AD decided payout and move on....UAlbany is not $ school....further needing to recruit football players....only answer extended Gattuso contacted...crazy as it seems economic played a part in our decision...it was a cheaper way out...UD is excited about their future....

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Gattuso Extended....going back to the discussion...my brother (UAlbany & Syracuse U grad) Economics, now lives in Delaware; follows/attends University of Delaware sports, monitors Delaware Blue Hen forum....His word for each institution's decision: ECONOMICS. My brother explained there are serious fans and football alumni with deep pockets, along with substantial endowment at UD.  His neighbor, a UD grad said "ah....the deep pockets came in to rescue the program" because UD viewed their decision as cost effective. So instead of having a lame duck football coach UD and thier AD decided payout and move on....UAlbany is not $ school....further needing to recruit football players....only answer extended Gattuso contacted...crazy as it seems economic played a part in our decision...it was a cheaper way out...UD is excited about their future....

I can fully understand the economics of not firing him, but the extension is totally unwarranted. Better to take a hit in recruiting for a year and give him a chance to turn it around and earn an extension instead of rewarding a proven loser with an extension. That simply does not compute  the numbers don’t lie. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I can fully understand the economics of not firing him, but the extension is totally unwarranted. Better to take a hit in recruiting for a year and give him a chance to turn it around and earn an extension instead of rewarding a proven loser with an extension. That simply does not compute  the numbers don’t lie. 

Benson had only three options, one included the arrival of a donor(s) offering a substantial amount to assist in the payout....not agreeing with the final decision...further, I heard from a friend, with a UAlbany football past.  He stated Benson has turned away those who have offered advice and counsel.  Further, President Havidan Rodriquez is allowing Benson be his own boss.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Benson had only three options, one included the arrival of a donor(s) offering a substantial amount to assist in the payout....not agreeing with the final decision...further, I heard from a friend, with a UAlbany football past.  He stated Benson has turned away those who have offered advice and counsel.  Further, President Havidan Rodriquez is allowing Benson be his own boss.

Where I’m not following is that the obvious path was to tell him that he either turned it around in 2022, or he would not have a contract for 2023. If Benson chose to ignore advice and the Prez is letting him do it, then they both own the result…good or bad. 

Do Athletic Directors report directly to University Presidents? Seems to me President Rodriquez has more important things to do than monitor a low level AD?? If UA was a power 5 that brings in millions of $s and pays their AD's in 7 figures, than perhaps the AD should have a direct line to the top. At UA where academics is the precedence and athletic $s are more of a debit than a credit, you would think there would be at least one or two people below the Prez that Benson had to justify his existence to???????  On the other hand, as long as Benson is NOT buying out contracts and not spending exorbitantly; perhaps no-one cares that he is/has totally alienated pretty much the entire fan base and is destroying UA athletics??????

Edited by dslyank

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Do Athletic Directors report directly to University Presidents? Seems to me President Rodriquez has more important things to do than monitor a low level AD?? If UA was a power 5 that brings in millions of $s and pays their AD's in 7 figures, than perhaps the AD should have a direct line to the top. At UA where academics is the precedence and athletic $s are more of a debit than a credit, you would think there would be at least one or two people below the Prez that Benson had to justify his existence to???????  On the other hand, as long as Benson is NOT buying out contracts and not spending exorbitantly; perhaps no-one cares that he is/has totally alienated pretty much the entire fan base and is destroying UA athletics??????

For this discussion, the important element to remember is our reality.  Drawing references to what we are not (large number of deep pocketed contributors and highly staff/coaches & huge fan base)....well does not assist in the small dedicated fans base (like yourself) looking accountable in our coaching ranks and our athletic director.  You say President Rodriquez has more important things to worry about,  I agreed.  However, over the last 4 years he is in regular attendance at MBB, WBB and Football.  He certainly seen the ups and mainly downs in fan attendance....he knows the results of the games...he has supported a coach change in the recent past ... President Rodriquez can easily make Mark Benson feel uncomfortable without much effort.  RPI AD Lee McElroy was the recipient of such treatment when his contract was not renewed at UAlbany.  

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

https://www.albany.edu/ir/uamain.pdf

According to this org chart, Benson is a direct report to Rodriguez. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 2:13 PM, cwdickens said:

With all that was going on with conference alignment.... Did Benson have a head's up?  Benson did not want to deal with hiring a new coach now or next year....

I don’t see what one has to do with the other. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1