UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany MLAX Game 4 at UMass -Amherst 3/8/22

I do not understand passing the ball BACK to the goaly on a clear when there are a few second to go.  No idea how much time is left????

What kind of a game plan did our coaches come up with - this year???    Players seem lost.  Def was a little better 2nd half but offense is just awful.  Why do we play on the corner.  Nobody seems to be able to get inside or take a close shot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

What kind of a game plan did our coaches come up with - this year???    Players seem lost.  Def was a little better 2nd half but offense is just awful.  Why do we play on the corner.  Nobody seems to be able to get inside or take a close shot.

We switched to a zone early in the 3rd quarter and it seemed like UMASS didn't even adjust to that. Rather than passing to get the zone moving they tried to dodge into it. But that was a good switch or it would have been much worse, and Heller really stepped up his game today. 

Played better in second ½. But past issues face-offs (which seemed better until today) and ground balls (which is ALWAYS problematic) reared their ugly heads today—(7 for 24 & 22 to 30.) 

But was most annoying no sense of urgency. Down 2 with under 5 to go & UA standing around watching/waiting for substitutions. O is so methodical afraid to make mistakes; so what do they do but MAKE MISTAKES. 

What happened to Scott’s “free wheeling-let them make plays” style. I know I know, does not have the athletes. But IMHO if they don’t pickup their pace offensively, it is going to be a long year. 
Also, I may be wrong, but everytime Pucci comes on the field he is looking back over his shoulder—-looking for the play?? or looking to see who else coming on??Should’nt theses be worked out before he/they come?? Be much more seamless??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Played better in second ½. But past issues face-offs (which seemed better until today) and ground balls (which is ALWAYS problematic) reared their ugly heads today—(7 for 24 & 22 to 30.) 

But was most annoying no sense of urgency. Down 2 with under 5 to go & UA standing around watching/waiting for substitutions. O is so methodical afraid to make mistakes; so what do they do but MAKE MISTAKES. 

What happened to Scott’s “free wheeling-let them make plays” style. I know I know, does not have the athletes. But IMHO if they don’t pickup their pace offensively, it is going to be a long year. 
Also, I may be wrong, but everytime Pucci comes on the field he is looking back over his shoulder—-looking for the play?? or looking to see who else coming on??Should’nt theses be worked out before he/they come?? Be much more seamless??

If we rely on zone defense against teams that can really move the ball it will really get ugly. I am not sure what UMass was doing. They have a great coaching staff, and it looked like they didn't realize we were in a zone just about the entire second half. I think part of the problem on the offense is we are four games in and still looking for the combinations that will work together. We really don't have anyone who is going to break down a defense so it is going to be pushing the ball as you say when we have the chance, which I think we did for the most part, and a lot of crisp passing and cutting.

The defense is very good in spurts when it comes to one on one defense, then it quickly breaks down with bad slides and ball watching. Again, tip of the cap to Heller who really made a lot of good in close saves today.

• Like 1

ps. Again I am most likely WRONG, but from what I’ve seen of this offense so far IMHO they DO have the horses to score. Think turn them loose go back to two-middies (give-up a ton of goals); make a track meet of it. Can’t be worse than what I’ve seen lately (including a win vs lcc. )

Good think I’m far from an expert and probably WRONG. But that is my arm chair QB for today. 
pss. I think I’ll skip the Maryland game. Not sure my ❤️ can take it. 

Edited by dslyank

I watch the game.... yes a better second half, three goals allowed on passes to a cutting attacker in the first half.... the team seemed to come to life in second .... like others not sure what the future holds for this team ..... a tough UAlbany men's teams year continues

Some of Scott's post game comments:  "I thought we played hard and, for as much defense as we had to play, I felt we did a really nice job, especially in the second half only allowing three goals.  Tommy Heller played very well in goal.  Bottom line is we are up 2-0 with the ball and a chance to go up 3-0 and we turn the ball over on our next five possessions.  They capitalize and make it 5-2 and that's the difference in the game.

Wow! lost because of face-offs and TURNOVERS and NOT getting enough ground balls. Never played the game (obvious by my posts) but it seems like UA helmets are too big or chin straps jut out too far; seems like they are looking directly at the ball on the ground and NOT even seeing it?? Heard numerous coaches say getting ground balls is all about hustle and wanting it more [same as diving on the floor for loose basketballs.] 

Curious, for those of you who have played/coached/studied the game for years, are there techniques/skill sets that UA is lacking in getting ground balls? Seems like an issue with UA for years. Can't be all about desire & hustle???????? ALL opinions thoughts welcomed, expert or not.

Edited by dslyank

16 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Some of Scott's post game comments:  "I thought we played hard and, for as much defense as we had to play, I felt we did a really nice job, especially in the second half only allowing three goals.  Tommy Heller played very well in goal.  Bottom line is we are up 2-0 with the ball and a chance to go up 3-0 and we turn the ball over on our next five possessions.  They capitalize and make it 5-2 and that's the difference in the game.

Wow! lost because of face-offs and TURNOVERS and NOT getting enough ground balls. Never played the game (obvious by my posts) but it seems like UA helmets are too big or chin straps jut out too far; seems like they are looking directly at the ball on the ground and NOT even seeing it?? Heard numerous coaches say getting ground balls is all about hustle and wanting it more [same as diving on the floor for loose basketballs.] 

Curious, for those of you who have played/coached/studied the game for years, are there techniques/skill sets that UA is lacking in getting ground balls? Seems like an issue with UA for years. Can't be all about desire & hustle???????? ALL opinions thoughts welcomed, expert or not.

I do not know why you are not on the sidelines as a volunteer assistant coach for the Great Danes..... the difference there was a period of time UMASS executed on all cylinders... in particular the ability to make the connection with an attacker running towards the goal with no one sliding to the attacker ....I do not recall this happening in the second half .... UMASS had great goalie play in first half.... UAlbany allowed UMASS to build a mountain in first half.... I saw a different UAlbany in the second half .... this team is a work in progress

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I do not know why you are not on the sidelines as a volunteer assistant coach for the Great Danes..... the difference there was a period of time UMASS executed on all cylinders... in particular the ability to make the connection with an attacker running towards the goal with no one sliding to the attacker ....I do not recall this happening in the second half .... UMASS had great goalie play in first half.... UAlbany allowed UMASS to build a mountain in first half.... I saw a different UAlbany in the second half .... this team is a work in progress

The difference in the 2nd half IMO was going to the zone and UMass not having crisp outside ball movement and someone who could can the 12+ yard shot. They continually tried to dodge GLE and jam it into the middle. Making that move was a great call, and through four games based upon the personnel we are going with, that probably needs to be our base defense or some combination of switching back and forth. We do have a lot of tall guys, with big wingspans who can disrupt passing lanes. We just don't play good team defense when it comes to sliding and ball watching. I find that odd, because we do play zone well which requires you to have a much bigger off ball presence. I haven't understood the defense since Maloney became the coordinator.

I do think the offense will get a bit better with Yunker playing. He gives us that coach on the field to mix in with all of the young guys we are playing. I know UMass's best offensive player was out for the year, and another starter as well so we saw a pretty depleted team yesterday.  

Maryland has the guys who can stretch a zone defense so it will be interesting to see how we try to stop them.

• Thanks 1