Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

An Important and Interesting Off-season


Recommended Posts

We turn to the Off-season and it will be an interesting one. Who returns , who leaves , and who comes in.  One thing that is completely obvious is getting players that can put the ball in the basket. 

Horton, Doles, and I guess Cerruti (can someone explain how) can return. 

Transfer protal will be huge. We will find out a ton in the upcoming weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

We turn to the Off-season and it will be an interesting one. Who returns , who leaves , and who comes in.  One thing that is completely obvious is getting players that can put the ball in the basket. 

Horton, Doles, and I guess Cerruti (can someone explain how) can return. 

Transfer protal will be huge. We will find out a ton in the upcoming weeks. 

I would take another year of Cerruti, he can play and we need a shooter.  Time for Doles to move on.  Horton got better but if Amica is ok, would rather turn the reigns over to him for the next 4 years at the point than have him sit behind Horton and delay his development.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

We turn to the Off-season and it will be an interesting one. Who returns , who leaves , and who comes in.  One thing that is completely obvious is getting players that can put the ball in the basket. 

Horton, Doles, and I guess Cerruti (can someone explain how) can return. 

Transfer protal will be huge. We will find out a ton in the upcoming weeks. 

I have been thinking along this line since just before half time ..... the comings and goings for players and assistant coaches will be interesting .... everyone on the forum would like to be a "fly on the wall" when Mark and Vic discuss with Dwayne their season assessment with him. Would like to hear Dwayne's road map to the future .... I have reminded myself that Colleen Mullen need 4 years to reach this years record.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one player I want to return is Cerrutti.  He, unfortunately can't return, per my understanding because this was his "Covid" year.  He had played four at Lock Haven.  If that is wrong...then sign him up ASAP.  What a story.  

Horton had a nice turn around...and if he is playing off the ball, then I wouldn't mind him returning for another year.

It's time to move on from Doles. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

The one player I want to return is Cerrutti.  He, unfortunately can't return, per my understanding because this was his "Covid" year.  He had played four at Lock Haven.  If that is wrong...then sign him up ASAP.  What a story.  

Horton had a nice turn around...and if he is playing off the ball, then I wouldn't mind him returning for another year.

It's time to move on from Doles. 

 

He played 3 at lock haven and 1 here.  So I don't see how he return . However the local paper and UA radio announcer said he can return with a waver.  My only thinking was that lock haven did not play during the covid year so he can apply for another year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok..

28 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

He played 3 at lock haven and 1 here.  So I don't see how he return . However the local paper and UA radio announcer said he can return with a waver.  My only thinking was that lock haven did not play during the covid year so he can apply for another year.  

I am HOPING BEYOND HOPE that is true.  He played three at lock haven, his senior year was cut short.  Usually how the rule works is you have five years to play four seasons.  Once you play four seasons, you are done.  The COVID waiver allowed an extra year for those players who played in the shortened COVID year (though it wasn't really impactful on hoops since most schools played most of the season).

Lock Haven cancelled their season so this year was his fourth year of playing basketball.  I can see this working if he took a red-shirt in his senior year at Lock Haven.  Then, theoretically, he took his Covid waiver year this year, and his redshirt year next year.  I would be surprised if this went through...but super happy for both the player and staff.  He is a quite a story.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Horton on returning for another year:

"A big chance" is how Horton described it, to be exact.

Not a bad player to come back...though I prefer him to be off the ball.  I think he would be VERY good off the ball, even better than this season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Potential Roster:
 

PG: Amica (Soph), Little (Soph), Fizulich (Jr)

SG: Horton (GR), Cerruti (GR), Shafer (SR- unless he gets a med waiver)

SF: Drumgoole (RS- Jr), Reddish (Soph)

PF: Neely (Soph), Hutcheson (SR).  *Doles is possible.  

C- Beagle (FR), Ketner (Soph)

If everyone above comes back (and in--Beagle), then there are 2 open spots.  Honestly, I don't think this team can move forward without the influx of impact players at those two spots.  If Doles does not come back, I think you go with two transfers and the best available H.S. kid.  If nothing looks great, you may just keep that scholarship for next year.  

If Amica is healthy, then I would go after a shooter and Center.  Amica and Horton can play the point.  The third ride you can give to a high school kid for PG.  

If Amica is not healthy (and Cerruti comes back), then you need a PG and a Center. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Horton on returning for another year:

"A big chance" is how Horton described it, to be exact.

My vote, Let him Walk. IMHO, he was only OK, when compared to a cast of mostly misfits.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

My vote, Let him Walk. IMHO, he was only OK, when compared to a cast of mostly misfits.

He was second team AE and the defensive player of the year. With a better team he would not need to shoulder the load. If he wants to come back I would welcome him with open arms.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, UA1882 said:

He was second team AE and the defensive player of the year. With a better team he would not need to shoulder the load. If he wants to come back I would welcome him with open arms.  

Would NOT, not welcome him back. But IMHO, I would really like to have as many spots available for Killings to fill.  I think there are better players out there then Horton.  UA badly needs a real point guard; someone who can handle the ball and score from the outside CONSISTENTLY. IMHO Horton is average at best @ the point. His assist to T/O ratio did improve as the year went on; but outside shot was never more than just OK. Not convinced he'd be any better off the ball, but you certainly are welcome to disagree.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Would NOT, not welcome him back. But IMHO, I would really like to have as many spots available for Killings to fill.  I think there are better players out there then Horton.  UA badly needs a real point guard; someone who can handle the ball and score from the outside CONSISTENTLY. IMHO Horton is average at best @ the point. His assist to T/O ratio did improve as the year went on; but outside shot was never more than just OK. Not convinced he'd be any better off the ball, but you certainly are welcome to disagree.

Thats a great post and would have no issue with it. The problem I see is that they have, let's say, 3 scholarships.  All 3 need to be "proven " better then Horton.  Better than a 2nd team player and defensive player of the year.  If Killings can get 3 better then that then absolutely let him walk. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Horton started slow and it gave many fans fits, but I supported him for most the early season, and when my confidence finally faded, he turned it around.

I'd 100% welcome him back and encourage him to stay. The biggest problem I saw with his game was the tendency to get away from the team game and try to play Hero Ball down the stretch of games when we were behind. It worked once or twice, but killed the team down the stretch run. I think that was more a function of the lack of scoring from the rest of the team and potentially a failure of coaching more than anything. Either he was instructed to do it, or had to despite what he was told to do. 

Either way, adding firepower through recruiting combined with the improvement of Neely/Reddish/Little and improved health of Amica/Drumgoole/Schafer and I don't think he will have to be the hero any more.

I hope he returns. 

Edited by godanesgo99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...