UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Allegations swirling...

14 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Entering the portal no longer means you are leaving. From my understanding, normal protocol in today's world is an end of season one on one with the player and coaching staff. At this meeting the players status of his scholarship and anticipated role for the following season is discussed along with feedback on what the player needs to work on in the off season of they want to play a bigger role. For some players, this might include if their scholarship is being renewed. If a player wants to test the portal, this is where they would get feedback on of they would be welcomed back if the portal didn't provide the offer they player was looking for.

Maybe DKs suspension has delayed these meetings, and players are still waiting to see if he is returning and to have those meetings before testing the waters.

Horton and Doles probably know they would be welcomed back based on their PT this year so they were willing to take the risk. If Luke was the player with the altercation it may not matter to him.

Anyway, while this whole situation is terrible, at least it is providing stuff to pontificate about and conversation about the team this time of year. 

Good summary but missing an important piece.   By entering the portal, a school has the right to revoke your scholarship.  Moreover, the school is going to recruit thinking you are gone.  So, it is a massive risk. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McFan said:

Yuck.  People who clearly don’t know the situation (just like us) rallying behind one side prematurely.  Awesome.

Agreed.  This is posturing.  He won't get his job back so maybe he is trying to secure some money in the "for cause" argument.  I don't know the official economics of our department, but I would have to think there is a rainy day fund.  If so, guarantee him his salary for 1 year, settle on 2 years, but offset it with any funds received at his next job.  Simple as that...move on.

14 minutes ago, McFan said:

Yuck.  People who clearly don’t know the situation (just like us) rallying behind one side prematurely.  Awesome.

It's worse than that. To me, bringing 'civil rights activists' into this basically insinuates the following:

1) The initial incident was racially motivated

2) The firing is racially motivated

IMO, both are outrageous positions (especially #2, even for Mark Benson) for what may or may not have happened.

• Like 1

Everyone's reactions to this latest wrinkle says more about them than the leaders who are rallying. I don't think that there's any indication that they're excusing the physical altercation that was reported, but you're kidding yourself if you think that a first time coach, especially if he's Black, is going to receive the same level of due process as a fifteen year veteran white coach. There's a two tiered system of justice in this country whether it is criminal or part of an internal HR investigation.

Frankly, it is either naive or willfully ignorant to think that DK isn't more likely to be thrown to the wolves to save the jobs of the folks in the athletic department who seem to have committed the more grave sin of covering up whatever incident may have happened.

Edited by blorp

13 minutes ago, blorp said:

Everyone's reactions to this latest wrinkle says more about them than the leaders who are rallying. I don't think that there's any indication that they're excusing the physical altercation that was reported, but you're kidding yourself if you think that a first time coach, especially if he's Black, is going to receive the same level of due process as a fifteen year veteran white coach. There's a two tiered system of justice in this country whether it is criminal or part of an internal HR investigation.

Frankly, it is either naive or willfully ignorant to think that DK isn't more likely to be thrown to the wolves to save the jobs of the folks in the athletic department who seem to have committed the more grave sin of covering up whatever incident may have happened.

The second part of the statement I overall can agree with because of the personality of the Athletic Director and his previous actions.  The first part I could slightly agree with due to the second part however, there are complicating factors for me to have full buy-in: 

1) DK is Benson's shiny hire and overall achievement at UA. The fact that this wasn't dealt with back in November lends me to believe Benson sought to protect him if, indeed, Benson or Cegles knew about it.  If indeed that is true, then I would agree with your argument if Benson is not terminated as well or, if he did not know about and Cegles did (as DK's boss), or if Cegles is not terminated. 

2) I won't go into details however, there was a reverse issue...that was also rooted in race...that was literally debunked by the entire basketball program but for the person bringing the claim.  That lead to changes at UA.  Benson was at the helm for that one.  Those on this board who know what I speak of know what I speak of, so to say.

3) We have a person of color/minority at the helm of the school.  I'd like to believe that his go ahead is required in something of this matter, in fact, it must be required because the investigation has been removed from the Athletic Dept.  I would also like to believe he is not terminating someone on race.

So no, I can't subscribe to the arguments you've presented and I have already spoken to multiple people in the college basketball world about this, including those of color and / or of minority status who have flat out said that a) this doesn't help the gains trying to be made for race in the industry; and b) if DK struck a player he needs to be gone.  

Edited by Dane96

I fully agree, and assume that the people rallying would also agree, that if he struck a player that he needs to go. I apologize if that wasn't clear (one of the pitfalls of trying to board on my phone in between things at work), but I think that there needs to be accountability at all levels here if what the rumor mill has said is true. If DK is being treated as the sacrificial lamb when there may have been unethical things done at all levels in the program, that's not justice. That's cowardice and people scrambling to save their six figure jobs and reputations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, blorp said:

Thank you.  1000% agree.  Sadly

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Good summary but missing an important piece.   By entering the portal, a school has the right to revoke your scholarship.  Moreover, the school is going to recruit thinking you are gone.  So, it is a massive risk. 

Agreed. That's what I meant about determining if they would be welcomed back before entering the portal. A player would say that they enjoyed their time here but are considering transferring if the right opportunity came along... Say a BCS level school. If the right opportunity doesn't pop up would they be welcomed back? Then if the coach was ok with them back he would say sure, but realize we are recruiting for your role, so you need to make sure you have a decision before we fill your spot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blorp said:

I fully agree, and assume that the people rallying would also agree, that if he struck a player that he needs to go. I apologize if that wasn't clear (one of the pitfalls of trying to board on my phone in between things at work), but I think that there needs to be accountability at all levels here if what the rumor mill has said is true. If DK is being treated as the sacrificial lamb when there may have been unethical things done at all levels in the program, that's not justice. That's cowardice and people scrambling to save their six figure jobs and reputations.

Ok, understood now.  Personally, I think anyone who was involved with this fiasco needs to go, even if this means starting over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blorp said:

As D96 so eloquently pointed out and without knowing all the details, it appears at least on the surface that the AD tried to protect the coach and why it appears that he's in hot water himself. If DK is found to have done what has been alleged AND if the AD knew about it and covered up...both should be dismissed, If DK is fired and Benson is not, it will and should open up further questions as to the fairness of the the steps taken to address the issue. 

UA will need to come clean with this investigation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blorp said:

I’ll zig where others zag.  There’s a fair chance the administration (including Benson) treated this with kid gloves because he’s a minority.  Afraid of this exact reaction.  I’ll go ahead and consider myself neither naive or willfully ignorant thank you.

Edited by McFan
  • Like 2

Benson started off at making $255k and now makes $310k.

Vik started off at $95k with basically no experience and now makes $132k.

Must be merit based on team wins, NCAA appearances, etc 🙄

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1