Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

That would be cool to bring some pretty cool jammasters to the campus again. 

Nov 6, 1970....Jefferson Airplane in University Gym. Grace Slick was so heavily pregnant with her daughter that she had to stand side saddle at the mic stand. And she only did the second set. The first set was essentially electric Hot Tuna. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I brought events up earlier in this thread. My very first weekend on campus was Dave Matthews at the RAAC, and that year saw half a dozen big name shows on campus. That was when the Student Association was big and did a lot of big events, until Landslide Larry got impeached after dancing on top of a Ryder truck at a football tailgate and investigations found misappropriation of SA funds. Don't think there have been many big names on campus since...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for clarity...it is unlikely, if EVER...a parking garage will be built.  This is one thing I 100% unequivocally support the Administration without even a question.  The costs involved for even a 300 car garage are astronomical, from the building, to the fare collection system, to the maintenance, to the insurance.  It's a ridiculous expenditure that would have a 30 year ROI, if we are lucky.  I'd rather see 15 million dropped into facilities. 

What they need to do (and I honestly don't know if they do this) is run shuttles consistently, build a heated shelter in the parking lot (maybe three of them), and have a designated drop off for the elderly and handicapped.  

Building a 300 car garage, with all that goes into it, is about a 12-14 million Capex (and that's generous considering the overhead that comes with State construction contracts), and about 1-3 million in yearly Opex. 

No way that is justified, and I really would rather see: the indoor facility; the SEFCU core; the SEFCU annex; the football building; baseball stadium upgrades; softball stadium upgrades; upgrades (permanent stands) for field hockey); and visitors side stands permanent at Casey stadium...all before a parking garage.  All of that is going to cost at least 60-85 million dollars. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

No way that is justified, and I really would rather see: the indoor facility; the SEFCU core; the SEFCU annex; the football building; baseball stadium upgrades; softball stadium upgrades; upgrades (permanent stands) for field hockey); and visitors side stands permanent at Casey stadium...all before a parking garage

Agree 100%. Interesting to note that parking @ the uptown campus has/had been an issue since day one. In Edward Durrell Stone's initial design plans, ALL parking was to be underground. Dutch Lot and State as I recall were to be temporary only while additional funds for parking were obtained. I lived and worked at Colonial Quad from 1968 to 1970 with no parking other than an unauthorized dirt lot approximately adjacent to the current Colonial lot and whenever my boss at the Colonial Kitchen took pity on me & another friend and let us park at a small lot by the loading dock. As I recall, Colonial was paved after a protracted law suit with Edward Durrell was finally resolved. While my memory and facts maybe a little hazy and I certainly had/have no idea how the contractual issue over parking with Stone was resolved, the basic of the story is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Agree 100%. Interesting to note that parking @ the uptown campus has/had been an issue since day one. In Edward Durrell Stone's initial design plans, ALL parking was to be underground. Dutch Lot and State as I recall were to be temporary only while additional funds for parking were obtained. I lived and worked at Colonial Quad from 1968 to 1970 with no parking other than an unauthorized dirt lot approximately adjacent to the current Colonial lot and whenever my boss at the Colonial Kitchen took pity on me & another friend and let us park at a small lot by the loading dock. As I recall, Colonial was paved after a protracted law suit with Edward Durrell was finally resolved. While my memory and facts maybe a little hazy and I certainly had/have no idea how the contractual issue over parking with Stone was resolved, the basic of the story is true.

Seems typical for state run stuff or overall government stuff. Wasn't the Thruway supposed to have tolls only until it paid for itself and then they'd be removed? As least they got rid of the traffic clogging tool booths finally.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had no idea that a garage would cost that. My guess would have been well less than half that number.

That said, that while area on the other side of University Drive around SEFCU could have a regular lot built there, and if any of the residential areas on the other side of the trees would be bothered by potential noise a sound wall could be built. 

Either way, parking at Dutch Quad then walking to SEFCU in the winter blows chunks. Literally. I can't tell you how many games I didn't attend because of weather and that walk. Especially with young kids or older people. The shuttle does run regularly, but the shelter sucks and it takes forever. The cost of parking has never been an issue for me, but the comfort of that walk does.

Go to a Syracuse game and people park miles away and the weather can be worse, so my concern is minor compared to going to the carrier dome, but they are bringing in North Carolina, Florida State, and Duke. People will walk through crap weather for that. I don't see it happening for Maine, New Hampshire, and Bing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

Had no idea that a garage would cost that. My guess would have been well less than half that number.

That said, that while area on the other side of University Drive around SEFCU could have a regular lot built there, and if any of the residential areas on the other side of the trees would be bothered by potential noise a sound wall could be built. 

Either way, parking at Dutch Quad then walking to SEFCU in the winter blows chunks. Literally. I can't tell you how many games I didn't attend because of weather and that walk. Especially with young kids or older people. The shuttle does run regularly, but the shelter sucks and it takes forever. The cost of parking has never been an issue for me, but the comfort of that walk does.

Go to a Syracuse game and people park miles away and the weather can be worse, so my concern is minor compared to going to the carrier dome, but they are bringing in North Carolina, Florida State, and Duke. People will walk through crap weather for that. I don't see it happening for Maine, New Hampshire, and Bing.

Yeah, construction costs vary from $21,000-34,000 a spot, and that doesn't include local work (plumbing, wiring, etc).  The cheaper side is literally crappy pre-cast.   Then you have to buy fare collection equipment (around 3-4 million, minimum...plus software). Then you have continuing op ex costs for the facility and the fare collection equipment.  Then on-top of that, Garages have to be re-pointed/weather proofed and sometimes even major renovations due to weather circumstances, every 10-15 years.  The place i lived two years ago had to go through a renovation and the cheap side interim fix was 4 million and the real fix would have cost 9-11 million.  

One of the divisions of my company, which I support, sells fare collection equipment to garages and it's literally just a bad business to be in for garage owners and vendors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UAalum72 said:

First post said bid date was to be 4/26. Any idea when bids are to be opened?

Bid date was for the contractor's receiving bid from Subs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

However, since the start date is Sept 2022, I would presume a BAFO (Best and Final) will be sent out in June...notice to award in early July...negotiate for a month or two.  Kickoff September. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...