UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

1 hour ago, statefan said:

TU reports Connor Fingar and Cam Hay out for year with ACLs

Yep I was pretty sure Cam hurt his knee pretty bad when he went down inthe scrimmage. Foot got caught, ankle turned and knee bent.  went down an grabed his left knee immediately..  Did not see Connor get injured.    

From today's Times-Union:

UALBANY MEN’S LACROSSE

Carino back to the future

Former Danes QB, a lacrosse prospect, set to play sport for UAlbany

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F01%2F26&id=Pc0160700&ext=.jpg&ts=20230126072745
Jim Franco / Times Union

UAlbany’s Joey Carino has joined the lacrosse team after playing football for three seasons. He was a Syracuse recruit in lacrosse.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F01%2F26&id=Pc0200900&ext=.jpg&ts=20230126072745
Will Waldron / Times Union

UAlbany’s Joey Carino spent three seasons with the football team, mostly as the backup at quarterback. He said he misses football “a little bit.”

ALBANY — The University at Albany men’s lacrosse program has a new player who should be very familiar to Great Danes fans.

Joey Carino, who played quarterback for the Great Danes the past three seasons, has switched to midfielder on the lacrosse team.

He practiced with his new teammates on Wednesday in a light snow at John Fallon Field as UAlbany gets closer to the Feb. 10 opener against Syracuse at JMA Wireless Dome, formerly the Carrier Dome.

“Yeah, it’s awesome,” Carino said. “I mean, it’s been three years. My last time playing lacrosse was my junior year (of high school) and COVID took away my senior year, so it’s just great to be back.”

Carino played both sports at Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains. He committed to Syracuse lacrosse while in high school before changing his mind and signing with UAlbany football.

“For me, that (lacrosse) was like a backup plan if the football thing didn’t work out, and I’m back,” Carino said.

He spent three years mainly as a UAlbany backup before entering the NCAA transfer portal in November. He said he spoke with Bryant, Central Connecticut, Georgetown and other schools about football. But he also reached out to UAlbany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr.

Carino accompanied the lacrosse team on its annual offseason trip to the Dippikill Wilderness Retreat in Warrensburg.

“We didn’t have any cellphones for three days and we had a lot of team bonding,” Carino said. “Just a great group of guys. There’s something special with this group of guys. I just really want to be a part of it.”

He said he also wanted to stay at UAlbany, where he enjoyed the culture and made many friends.

Carino is a sophomore with three years of lacrosse eligibility remaining.

Carino said he toyed with a lacrosse stick as a UAlbany freshman during the down time created by the pandemic. He is regaining his stick skills while getting into lacrosse shape. With constant running, lacrosse demands a different kind of fitness than Carino had in football with its shorter bursts of speed and action.

“Coach Marr said it’s kind of like riding a bike,” Carino said. “You’ve just got to get used to it for a little bit and I’m getting my wind up, like, running-wise, playing defensive middie. But I’m having a blast. It’s a lot of fun.”

Marr said Carino is focusing on defensive midfielder but has the ability to play a two-way role because of his intelligence.

“He reached out to me, and when he did, I certainly welcomed it,” Marr said. “Obviously, he was a big-time recruit for Syracuse. ... He brings a really good, positive mentality and work ethic to our team. Again, football is a very disciplined sport. As a quarterback, he had to know so many different things, knowledge-wise and plays, and then being a leader as well. He’s already stepped in and you can feel his presence as a leader.”

Marr said Carino is also very attentive in team meetings and is constantly taking notes.

“He’s getting into lacrosse shape,” Marr said. “That’s the biggest thing is getting into lacrosse shape, being able to run. But he does another thing better each day.”

UAlbany senior attack Graydon Hogg said the team has quickly accepted Carino.

“We watched him play a lot,” Hogg said. “He was a really good quarterback. We’re definitely glad he made the jump.”

Carino said he misses football “a litle bit,” but is focused on lacrosse. He’ll open his college lacrosse career at JMA Wireless Dome, where he played two years ago. UAlbany football lost 62-24 at Syracuse on Sept. 18, 2021, when Carino came off the bench to throw for one touchdown and run for another.

“I played in the Carrier Dome, awesome, great atmosphere,” Carino said. “I got a lot of playing time during that and to open there (Feb. 10), it’s going to be a really cool atmosphere and we’re really excited.”

Note: Marr said senior midfielder Connor Fingar and junior attack Camden Hay are both out for the year with ACL injuries.

▶› msingelais@- timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

From today's Times-Union:

UALBANY MEN’S LACROSSE

Carino back to the future

Former Danes QB, a lacrosse prospect, set to play sport for UAlbany

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F01%2F26&id=Pc0160700&ext=.jpg&ts=20230126072745
Jim Franco / Times Union

UAlbany’s Joey Carino has joined the lacrosse team after playing football for three seasons. He was a Syracuse recruit in lacrosse.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F01%2F26&id=Pc0200900&ext=.jpg&ts=20230126072745
Will Waldron / Times Union

UAlbany’s Joey Carino spent three seasons with the football team, mostly as the backup at quarterback. He said he misses football “a little bit.”

ALBANY — The University at Albany men’s lacrosse program has a new player who should be very familiar to Great Danes fans.

Joey Carino, who played quarterback for the Great Danes the past three seasons, has switched to midfielder on the lacrosse team.

He practiced with his new teammates on Wednesday in a light snow at John Fallon Field as UAlbany gets closer to the Feb. 10 opener against Syracuse at JMA Wireless Dome, formerly the Carrier Dome.

“Yeah, it’s awesome,” Carino said. “I mean, it’s been three years. My last time playing lacrosse was my junior year (of high school) and COVID took away my senior year, so it’s just great to be back.”

Carino played both sports at Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains. He committed to Syracuse lacrosse while in high school before changing his mind and signing with UAlbany football.

“For me, that (lacrosse) was like a backup plan if the football thing didn’t work out, and I’m back,” Carino said.

He spent three years mainly as a UAlbany backup before entering the NCAA transfer portal in November. He said he spoke with Bryant, Central Connecticut, Georgetown and other schools about football. But he also reached out to UAlbany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr.

Carino accompanied the lacrosse team on its annual offseason trip to the Dippikill Wilderness Retreat in Warrensburg.

“We didn’t have any cellphones for three days and we had a lot of team bonding,” Carino said. “Just a great group of guys. There’s something special with this group of guys. I just really want to be a part of it.”

He said he also wanted to stay at UAlbany, where he enjoyed the culture and made many friends.

Carino is a sophomore with three years of lacrosse eligibility remaining.

Carino said he toyed with a lacrosse stick as a UAlbany freshman during the down time created by the pandemic. He is regaining his stick skills while getting into lacrosse shape. With constant running, lacrosse demands a different kind of fitness than Carino had in football with its shorter bursts of speed and action.

“Coach Marr said it’s kind of like riding a bike,” Carino said. “You’ve just got to get used to it for a little bit and I’m getting my wind up, like, running-wise, playing defensive middie. But I’m having a blast. It’s a lot of fun.”

Marr said Carino is focusing on defensive midfielder but has the ability to play a two-way role because of his intelligence.

“He reached out to me, and when he did, I certainly welcomed it,” Marr said. “Obviously, he was a big-time recruit for Syracuse. ... He brings a really good, positive mentality and work ethic to our team. Again, football is a very disciplined sport. As a quarterback, he had to know so many different things, knowledge-wise and plays, and then being a leader as well. He’s already stepped in and you can feel his presence as a leader.”

Marr said Carino is also very attentive in team meetings and is constantly taking notes.

“He’s getting into lacrosse shape,” Marr said. “That’s the biggest thing is getting into lacrosse shape, being able to run. But he does another thing better each day.”

UAlbany senior attack Graydon Hogg said the team has quickly accepted Carino.

“We watched him play a lot,” Hogg said. “He was a really good quarterback. We’re definitely glad he made the jump.”

Carino said he misses football “a litle bit,” but is focused on lacrosse. He’ll open his college lacrosse career at JMA Wireless Dome, where he played two years ago. UAlbany football lost 62-24 at Syracuse on Sept. 18, 2021, when Carino came off the bench to throw for one touchdown and run for another.

“I played in the Carrier Dome, awesome, great atmosphere,” Carino said. “I got a lot of playing time during that and to open there (Feb. 10), it’s going to be a really cool atmosphere and we’re really excited.”

Note: Marr said senior midfielder Connor Fingar and junior attack Camden Hay are both out for the year with ACL injuries.

▶› msingelais@- timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais

Just saw this - thanks for posting.  Good read.  He was very aggressive and showed tougness and quickness the scrimmage Sat. night..

• Like 1

UA getting votes in pre-season coaches poll:

Receiving Votes:

Army, Johns Hopkins, Loyola, Navy, Villanova, Lehigh, Syracuse, High Point, Utah, Vermont, UAlbany, UMass, Michigan, Air Force.

In media poll only VT from AmEast got votes. Also, not sure why they were top choice of AmEast coaches; lost their top offensive player to Virginia; their goalie; and quite a few seniors on last years roster. Still have the top face-off in the AmEast. Probably top choice history only? They listed 11 seniors on last years roster [maybe some have an extra year?] On paper UA's incoming class looks stronger. UA & UMBC were both considerably younger than VT last year; and IMHO they both will topple VT this year.

Too early obviously but THOUGHTS/OPINIONS??

Edited by dslyank

On 2/1/2023 at 9:40 AM, dslyank said:

UA getting votes in pre-season coaches poll:

Receiving Votes:

Army, Johns Hopkins, Loyola, Navy, Villanova, Lehigh, Syracuse, High Point, Utah, Vermont, UAlbany, UMass, Michigan, Air Force.

In media poll only VT from AmEast got votes. Also, not sure why they were top choice of AmEast coaches; lost their top offensive player to Virginia; their goalie; and quite a few seniors on last years roster. Still have the top face-off in the AmEast. Probably top choice history only? They listed 11 seniors on last years roster [maybe some have an extra year?] On paper UA's incoming class looks stronger. UA & UMBC were both considerably younger than VT last year; and IMHO they both will topple VT this year.

Too early obviously but THOUGHTS/OPINIONS??

Agree - watching the first scrimmage against the native team we looked good.  I'll try to go tomorrow night as well. They had warm-ups at 8 PM last time and started at 8:30

Edited by HOF2013

Noticed on IL, #16 Peter Salit is back. Checked the roster and he is definitely listed. He really started to shine towards the end of 2021; and I was looking to see how he progressed last year. But he was not listed on the 2022 roster; I never found out why? Think he can definitely be a + player, based on what I saw from him towards the end of his freshman year. [even started 4 games at the end of 2021.]

Also, in the fall, I watched the stream of the scrimmage against team Canada. Angle and distance was terrible; but recall #16 played welled, but I had no idea who he was. If it was Salit reinforces my optimism in him?

Saw the first three qtr's of scrimmage last night; left early it did not start to almost 9. Unofficially after 3 had UA 10-lcc 6; with 2 or 3 of lcc goals on fast breaks after long UA rebounds off posts or missed ground balls. Overall I thought the the UA defense was very sound. A lot of guys used on attack and midfield, kind of made for some inconsistent play IMHO. Also, when UA attack on far end of field, hard to read #s and identify who's/who's [and they attacked in that direction 2 of the 3 I saw.] 

So for what it's worth Graydon was outstanding and seemed to take charge of the offense and directed people where to be/pass; he also scored 2 or 3 times himself. #16 Salit who I mentioned above started I believe and played very well. Did not see Sheehan (Denver transfer) unless he changed his # from 1 to 0. 0 played a lot and maybe it was Sheehan? Did not see Carino at all. Seemed a lot of freshman got a lot of time; #28 Lee played very well and sophomore #18 LaPietro local kid from Shaker [younger brother of #12] also looked good. #24 Pucci had at least one goal from long range; but seemed to take some wild long shots--pretty much was his mo from last year. 

Goalie played very well IMHO, lcc though small was very quick and VanValkenburg made many nice stops and when lcc scored pretty much on un-stoppable shoots, I thought. Karnes started at F/O with minimal success and Regan took over and pretty much dominated.

Anyone stay for the whole game, would love to hear your thoughts/opinions; and feel free to correct any in-accurates on part.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

ps from IL staff predictions, under dark horses:

Matt Kinnear: UAlbany
To preface, I'm not picking from the ACC or Big Ten for this; it just doesn't feel right to call Syracuse or Johns Hopkins a "dark horse." So this is a very dark horse. I don’t think they’re on the radar much from a national perspective this year, but I’m bullish on the Danes. And for the purpose of this exercise — a preseason non-Top 20 team that plays itself into at-large discussion — let’s look at the Danes’ schedule. They have a winnable game against Syracuse in Week 1, plus Cornell, Maryland, Yale and Penn. I’m not at all saying they win all of those, but they have the opportunities. It’s a team that’s grown up and matured, so it feels like maybe there’s some of that Dane magic brewing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Saw the first three qtr's of scrimmage last night; left early it did not start to almost 9. Unofficially after 3 had UA 10-lcc 6; with 2 or 3 of lcc goals on fast breaks after long UA rebounds off posts or missed ground balls. Overall I thought the the UA defense was very sound. A lot of guys used on attack and midfield, kind of made for some inconsistent play IMHO. Also, when UA attack on far end of field, hard to read #s and identify who's/who's [and they attacked in that direction 2 of the 3 I saw.] 

So for what it's worth Graydon was outstanding and seemed to take charge of the offense and directed people where to be/pass; he also scored 2 or 3 times himself. #16 Salit who I mentioned above started I believe and played very well. Did not see Sheehan (Denver transfer) unless he changed his # from 1 to 0. 0 played a lot and maybe it was Sheehan? Did not see Carino at all. Seemed a lot of freshman got a lot of time; #28 Lee played very well and sophomore #18 LaPietro local kid from Shaker [younger brother of #12] also looked good. #24 Pucci had at least one goal from long range; but seemed to take some wild long shots--pretty much was his mo from last year. 

Goalie played very well IMHO, lcc though small was very quick and VanValkenburg made many nice stops and when lcc scored pretty much on un-stoppable shoots, I thought. Karnes started at F/O with minimal success and Regan took over and pretty much dominated.

Anyone stay for the whole game, would love to hear your thoughts/opinions; and feel free to correct any in-accurates on part.

The LaPietro boys are from Burnt Hills….not Shaker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo said:

The LaPietro boys are from Burnt Hills….not Shaker.

Yes. Sorry, got them mixed up with Will Pepe; who by the way was taken to the hospital yesterday after a first qtr injury. Hope he is ok. Looked like arm or shoulder?  Already lost Hay & Fingar to season endings.