UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

On 2/4/2023 at 11:37 AM, dslyank said:

Saw the first three qtr's of scrimmage last night; left early it did not start to almost 9. Unofficially after 3 had UA 10-lcc 6; with 2 or 3 of lcc goals on fast breaks after long UA rebounds off posts or missed ground balls. Overall I thought the the UA defense was very sound. A lot of guys used on attack and midfield, kind of made for some inconsistent play IMHO. Also, when UA attack on far end of field, hard to read #s and identify who's/who's [and they attacked in that direction 2 of the 3 I saw.] 

So for what it's worth Graydon was outstanding and seemed to take charge of the offense and directed people where to be/pass; he also scored 2 or 3 times himself. #16 Salit who I mentioned above started I believe and played very well. Did not see Sheehan (Denver transfer) unless he changed his # from 1 to 0. 0 played a lot and maybe it was Sheehan? Did not see Carino at all. Seemed a lot of freshman got a lot of time; #28 Lee played very well and sophomore #18 LaPietro local kid from Shaker [younger brother of #12] also looked good. #24 Pucci had at least one goal from long range; but seemed to take some wild long shots--pretty much was his mo from last year. 

Goalie played very well IMHO, lcc though small was very quick and VanValkenburg made many nice stops and when lcc scored pretty much on un-stoppable shoots, I thought. Karnes started at F/O with minimal success and Regan took over and pretty much dominated.

Anyone stay for the whole game, would love to hear your thoughts/opinions; and feel free to correct any in-accurates on part.

#0 was Carino at the scrimmage.  # 1 was not dressed - there were 6 players not dressed - mostly starters.  a LOT of freshman  and a couple of sophomores played a LOT.  Looked great during the first three Q's.  I left after the 5th when it was ALL freshman with a couple of sophomores and one Sr who has never been in a game.  

23 hours ago, dslyank said:

Yes. Sorry, got them mixed up with Will Pepe; who by the way was taken to the hospital yesterday after a first qtr injury. Hope he is ok. Looked like arm or shoulder?  Already lost Hay & Fingar to season endings. 

Told us he broke his collarbone

7 hours ago, dslyank said:

Any idea re-coupe time? Do you know if it is season ending?

Any comments how the youngsters did/competed in periods 4 & 5??

No idea.  He walked by us and someone asked and that is what he told us.  Depends on the type of break.  Tough injury for a lacrosse player I'd think.

Edited by HOF2013

What was with all the guys who did not dress?? Anybody know.  Thought we played well.  Freshman and Sophomores played  A LOT.  Starters played but I thought the young guys played more.  I thought we did well over-all though.

• 4 weeks later...

Scores from around the conference for the past week:  

Friday, February 24, 2023 Men's Lacrosse
  Away Home Result Location Links

UMBCUMBC16

Final
  Box Score Full Game Archive
Saturday, February 25, 2023 Men's Lacrosse

Final
Vestal, N.Y. Box Score

Final
Denver, CO Box Score

Final
Albany, N.Y. Box Score Full Game Archive

BryantBryant19

Final
Hamden, Conn. Box Score

NJITNJIT8

Final
Riverdale, NY Box Score
Sunday, February 26, 2023 Men's Lacrosse

SienaSiena16

Final
Loudonville, NY Box Score

BrownBrown22

Final
Burlington, VT Box Score
Wednesday, March 1, 2023 Men's Lacrosse

UMBCUMBC13

Final
  Box Score Full Game Archive
Friday, March 3, 2023 Men's Lacrosse

LIULIU12

Final
Lowell, Mass. Box Score

Final
Cambridge, MA Box Score

[

Those records mean nothing - look at who they have played.  It is very early in the season.

UMBC beat Drexel by almost the same score as we did They beat Bonny and Mt. St. Mary's  which are a combined 2 - 8

VT barely beat Boston and Utah and got hammered by Brown and Harvard

Bingo beat St Bonny by 1 goal [they have lost 4] and Marist [0 - 4]

Other teams in our league set up cushy schedules early [except VT played syracuse but who else] and get a few wins. Marr sets up the toughest non-league schedule in the country.  Different philosophies I guess. 

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

Wins-losses mean something to the athletes playing in these early matches and their coaches whether it is a NEC team against a Patriot team, AE team against CAA team or a BIG10 against an ACC team.  These games are the proof that practices are yielding results or how a team compares from year to year.

Do you not think Saturday's game between Notre Dame and Maryland meant something to these teams .... triple OT .... Notre Dame 13 - Maryland 12, do you not thing the Great Danes are dreaming of the possibilities for next Saturday?

Perhaps, you look at a bunch of games and say, "So what".  I bet there are a bunch of student-athletes are saying "We won, we played well" or "We lost, what could we have done better."

13 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Wins-losses mean something to the athletes playing in these early matches and their coaches whether it is a NEC team against a Patriot team, AE team against CAA team or a BIG10 against an ACC team.  These games are the proof that practices are yielding results or how a team compares from year to year.

Do you not think Saturday's game between Notre Dame and Maryland meant something to these teams .... triple OT .... Notre Dame 13 - Maryland 12, do you not thing the Great Danes are dreaming of the possibilities for next Saturday?

Perhaps, you look at a bunch of games and say, "So what".  I bet there are a bunch of student-athletes are saying "We won, we played well" or "We lost, what could we have done better."

Using Notre Dame - Maryland to prove your point does NOT prove it.  We are talking about playing VERY weak schedules- to build confidence????  NOT playing very tough teams - not sure that has the players looking at things differently.  Playing tough teams may!!!  

Not sure what you are saying works with college kids "Perhaps, you look at a bunch of games and say, "So what".  I bet there are a bunch of student-athletes are saying "We won, we played well" or "We lost, what could we have done better."  Sorry.  don't see it that way against very weak teams.   Maybe you have a point BUT I think you are over-playing it.  Maybe in youth leagues or even HS.  Not so much in college sports.  There are few kids who don't know a team's schedule is weak.  I would guess most wish they were playing tougher teams.  

Maybe I am totally wrong...............

Edited by HOF2013

59 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Using Notre Dame - Maryland to prove your point does NOT prove it.  We are talking about playing VERY weak schedules- to build confidence????  NOT playing very tough teams - not sure that has the players looking at things differently.  Playing tough teams may!!!  

Not sure what you are saying works with college kids "Perhaps, you look at a bunch of games and say, "So what".  I bet there are a bunch of student-athletes are saying "We won, we played well" or "We lost, what could we have done better."  Sorry.  don't see it that way against very weak teams.   Maybe you have a point BUT I think you are over-playing it.  Maybe in youth leagues or even HS.  Not so much in college sports.  There are few kids who don't know a team's schedule is weak.  I would guess most wish they were playing tougher teams.  

Maybe I am totally wrong...............

Many teams have not had the good fortunes UAlbany has had via our tournament run in 2018 and the efforts by our coach, which has resulted in a great schedule.  Furthermore, you over analyzed my intent, which was to share information/scores. 

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Many teams have not had the good fortunes UAlbany has had via our tournament run in 2018 and the efforts by our coach, which has resulted in a great schedule.  Furthermore, you over analyzed my intent, which was to share information/scores. 

Not trying to disparage what you were saying I just do not agree with some of it.   Of course we have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes.  I think for us, these tough games makes us play better - helps the coaches better prepare with the kids they need to play.  Some who were getting lots of time last year and early thi year are not now becasue others are performing better.  Coaches have to make difficult decisions based on play on the field.  They can see who plays better against outstanding competition rather than against low level competition.  Guys can look really good against low level copetition who can not play well at all against tough competition.  From this point of view the tough schedule helps. 

On the other hand when teams get a few wins they get a chip on their shoulder and may play better against better teams .  I think it comes down to a different philosophy of coaching.

• 3 weeks later...

With this team being a more of a "Dane Wreck", the fact that UAlbany is hosting one of two quarterfinal matches had become lost in the "fog of the season".  A reminder was sent out last of today's deadline for season ticketholders.

2023 NCAA Divison I Men's Lacrosse Tournament

Quarterfinal Round - Tom & Mary Casey Stadium
Albany, NY
Saturday, May 20, 2023

Season Ticket Holder Pre-Sale

Mark your calendars, lacrosse fans, the 2023 NCAA tournament is coming to Albany!

UAlbany will host two Quarterfinal games of the NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse tournament on Saturday, May 20th in Tom & Mary Casey Stadium. Game times are scheduled for 12 PM & 2:30 PM, teams will be annouced at a later date.

UAlbany season ticket holders have been added to an EXCLUSIVE pre-sale. Season Ticket Holders have the option to purchase lacrosse regular-season ticket locations prior to public on-sale. Deadline to purchase your season ticket locations for the NCAA tournament is Monday, March 27 at 11:59 PM. Tickets will go on sale to the public on Tuesday at 10 AM. Be sure to add advanced parking to your order prior to checkout.

Click Here to Purchase NCAA Tickets. The link provided will bring you to your online account, you will need to log in and claim your seats prior to the deadline. Please direct any questions to GreatDaneTickets@albany.edu or call 518.442.DANE.

The price for my Gold Seat was so dam reasonable, I purchased the ticket being held for me.  Considering this is a NCAA event for two games, it left me wondering why the Capital Cup Basketball Tickets were, in my opinion, so overly priced.  The cost of the Quarterfinal ticket $40.00 plus $1.50 service fee compared to a normal UAlbany Gold seat is $18.00 for lacrosse.