Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Thomas Greaney gets car in NIL deal


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Using the term Woke Culture is not racist or sexist or anything else - the official definition of Woke is being "alert to Injustice in Society, which can include racism or any societal injustice".  When "Woke Culture" is used as a pejorative it is a phrase used to describe the culture of being offended by everything (including science), misusing the terms of equality, equity, and justice, thinking socialism is the greatest, or thinking that everything anyone says or does comes down to racism or sexism no matter if it does or it doesn't. Your response proves that point. It is ok to be offended by something I say. That's your prerogative. Not caring if you are or not, and me still having the freedom to still say it is mine. 

I like Bill Maher's  take on Woke Culture pretty much more than anything else I have heard. I could post the links to multiple videos of his takes on it, but I think you can find them on your own. Or don't ... wouldn't want to offend you! Bill is typically thought of as a liberal / left wing political commentator so its not like I am sending you to Fox. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled conversation about Great Dane Sports ... who is the football team going to lose to this week? How many years will Gattuso's next contract extension be for? Life? It's a Great Day to be a Great Dane and to expect Greatness - as long as greatness is defined as mediocrity. 

Bill Maher has by far and wide the best take on the subject.  No question.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

This is WHOLLY inaccurate, and I am speaking 1 person away (the source's brother) from a direct source...who happens to be a UA graduate and former star soccer player (in our DIII days) and my fraternity brother.  The 5-2 match in question was a literally an UNORGANIZED, UNTIMED scrimmage with FC Dallas' U-15.  The USWNT did not play any strategic style and it was a mere runout to prep their legs, a glorified practice.  They barely played any of their first choice 15 players, playing mostly younger fresh faces on the squad.  

It also happened in 2017, for the record.

And that source I speak of...just happens to be a GM for a top MLS Franchise.  I am also pretty close to people in the FC Dallas management gorup.  

That being said, the rest of your comments make sense...but believe me, the USWNT going full tilt would absolutely SMOKE a U-15 teams as the size/speed isn't very different....but their technical ability for the USWNT is light years ahead of a U-15 academy.  

Consider me corrected. It would make sense that U-15 team and WSOC would have similar size/speed vs say a WNBA vs NBA squad (as the men would have like 5-6+ inches at all positions + many pounds). I had never heard the details of it being basically an unorganized pickup game, I was under the impression it was a legitimate exhibition. Thanks for the correction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Using the term Woke Culture is not racist or sexist or anything else - the official definition of Woke is being "alert to Injustice in Society, which can include racism or any societal injustice".  When "Woke Culture" is used as a pejorative it is a phrase used to describe the culture of being offended by everything (including science), misusing the terms of equality, equity, and justice, thinking socialism is the greatest, or thinking that everything anyone says or does comes down to racism or sexism no matter if it does or it doesn't. Your response proves that point. It is ok to be offended by something I say. That's your prerogative. Not caring if you are or not, and me still having the freedom to still say it is mine. 

I like Bill Maher's  take on Woke Culture pretty much more than anything else I have heard. I could post the links to multiple videos of his takes on it, but I think you can find them on your own. Or don't ... wouldn't want to offend you! Bill is typically thought of as a liberal / left wing political commentator so its not like I am sending you to Fox. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled conversation about Great Dane Sports ... who is the football team going to lose to this week? How many years will Gattuso's next contract extension be for? Life? It's a Great Day to be a Great Dane and to expect Greatness - as long as greatness is defined as mediocrity. 

The origin of woke was in the black community in the 30s and 40s to promote social awareness. The use it as a negative is racist.  That’s it. Now back to sports. 
 

Contextually and historically speaking it’s not much different than using a certain other word that many people should not use because it’s not their cultural prerogative.  
 

Do I think some things have gone too far. Sure. But it’s far worse to offend someone deliberately than to be easily offended. Ok. Now really back to sports. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

The origin of woke was in the black community in the 30s and 40s to promote social awareness. The use it as a negative is racist.  That’s it. Now back to sports. 
 

 

There is a difference between "woke" and "woke culture". I consider myself "woke." I am alert to social injustice, systemic racism, sexism, and the problems people have in society stemming from their sexual identity or their race. I get it and like to think I do whatever I can to counteract it. 

"Woke Culture" is an entirely different animal and it is causing more divisions in this country than it is fixing. It can be blamed for Donald Trump's presidency (support or hate him it does not matter in this example).  It starts with everyone gets a trophy, moves to everyone should be equal regardless of all factors, and has progressed to cancelling all speech that doesn't fit your narrative. People on the right or the left love and support free speech until someone says something don't agree with or offends an obscure minority. Then it needs to be banned. 

No more politics from me in this thread... I promise... 

My original point stands. I agreed with Jimbos post when he posted that Today's culture will probably end up demanding all players get an equal split of the NIL money, and that just shouldn't be the case. In reality we had that before when everyone got the same scholarships and got the same benefits for being on the team. That was fought against, now players can profit from their own efforts and their own fame (NIL), as it should be.

Edited by godanesgo99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

There is a difference between "woke" and "woke culture". I consider myself "woke." I am alert to social injustice, systemic racism, sexism, and the problems people have in society stemming from their sexual identity or their race. I get it and like to think I do whatever I can to counteract it. 

"Woke Culture" is an entirely different animal and it is causing more divisions in this country than it is fixing. It can be blamed for Donald Trump's presidency (support or hate him it does not matter in this example).  It starts with everyone gets a trophy, moves to everyone should be equal regardless of all factors, and has progressed to cancelling all speech that doesn't fit your narrative. People on the right or the left love and support free speech until someone says something don't agree with or offends an obscure minority. Then it needs to be banned. 

No more politics from me in this thread... I promise... 

My original point stands. Today's culture will probably end up demanding all players get an equal split of the NIL money, and that just shouldn't be the case. We had that before when everyone got the same scholarships and got the same benefits for being on the team. That was fought against, now players can profit from their own efforts and their own fame, as it should be.

Does this mean you're against restaurants that pool tips? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Does this mean you're against restaurants that pool tips? 

I'm not for that type of system or against it. There is room for both in society. Let a restaurant/business decide and that will control which employees each attracts. People with different personalities and risk tolerance would be drawn to one or the other. 

In general,  I believe that having more control over your own income, by allowing people to make more if they are better at what they do, has the best results. In a restaurant this means servers who create a better atmosphere for everyone when their acting skills will directly affect their personal income. This in turn makes both the restaurant and it's employees more money at the end of the day. In other industries it means faster innovation and major improvements discovered when those things control your income.

You might think that shared tips would motivate the high producers and adequately incent the low producers to innovate or do better or act better and would provide a better experience for customers and that's ok. You are free to think that, and it could be correct. If someone wants to own a restaurant and set their compensation to be tips shared equally that's up to them. No one forces anyone to work anywhere or tells people hot to run their business.

Back to the original topic and how NIL money should be paid out, if the players on a team wanted it to be split equally then the team could decide to do that. Since players can transfer so easily, players can choose their school and team based on what system is offered. I'd imagine the better, more competitive players would go to the schools that allowed them to earn the big bucks with NIL. The lower tier players would go to schools that split equally. This would end up further dividing the big schools from the little schools. It would end up being the new division point between high and mid majors and affect all the conference realignments. 

EDIT:  I know I said no more politics, but I don't think the above is political and I was asked directly. I'll amend my promise to say no more political conversations started by me. Lol

Edited by godanesgo99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After rethinking my post, I edited the above comment on the restaurant tip question because the original post didn't accurately portray my answer to the question, and was fairly incoherent as it was most likely written after a few. I also fixed a line in an earlier post.

I apologize, but don't apologize, if I offend anyone with the conversation on the difference between "woke" and "woke culture". My definition of each of may be different than yours, but since the term refers to far more than racism with today's definition, branding someone as racist or calling a statement racist is wrong without more information or context. When every conversation seems to devolve to "that's racist" it perpetuates the issues, causes more division, and reduces the attention on other, bigger examples, and issues.

 

 

Edited by godanesgo99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

After rethinking my post, I edited the above comment on the restaurant tip question because the original post didn't accurately portray my answer to the question, and was fairly incoherent as it was most likely written after a few. I also fixed a line in an earlier post.

I apologize, but don't apologize, if I offend anyone with the conversation on the difference between "woke" and "woke culture". My definition of each of may be different than yours, but since the term refers to far more than racism with today's definition, branding someone as racist or calling a statement racist is wrong without more information or context. When every conversation seems to devolve to "that's racist" it perpetuates the issues, causes more division, and reduces the attention on other, bigger examples, and issues.

 

 

I am not saying being anti-woke is racist. I’m saying learn the roots of the term. Historically it’s a positive thing in the black community so being against it could be perceived as. You know.  It’s the same with all the folks who scream about globalists without realizing it has its roots in anti-Semitism as espoused by the Third Reich

Put it this way.  The klan is def anti woke/anti-globalists 

 

my point is that words matter and certain fringe elements of our society are very pleased with the mainstreaming of their terminology. Let’s educate our selves in the history before perpetuating their anger. 

Edited by BestDaneSinceHamlet
Sdd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

I am not saying being anti-woke is racist. I’m saying learn the roots of the term. Historically it’s a positive thing in the black community so being against it could be perceived as. You know.  It’s the same with all the folks who scream about globalists without realizing it has its roots in anti-Semitism as espoused by the Third Reich

Put it this way.  The klan is def anti woke/anti-globalists 

 

my point is that words matter and certain fringe elements of our society are very pleased with the mainstreaming of their terminology. Let’s educate our selves in the history before perpetuating their anger. 

And this is where my issue was and why I pushed back and this is the part that causes the division. It goes back to high school math logic problems and your P's and Q's....

Just because I hate pedophiles and some Catholic priests abused alter boys doesn't mean that being anti-pedophile also makes me anti-christianity....

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, godanesgo99 said:

And this is where my issue was and why I pushed back and this is the part that causes the division. It goes back to high school math logic problems and your P's and Q's....

Just because I hate pedophiles and some Catholic priests abused alter boys doesn't mean that being anti-pedophile also makes me anti-christianity....

Its not the anti its the actual word.  A word that is by definition and history, when used negatively, a slur.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Its not the anti its the actual word.  A word that is by definition and history, when used negatively, a slur.

Have a nice day Karen. This entire conversation is the exact issue that I was referencing so thank you for continuing it and showing it. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

The origin of woke was in the black community in the 30s and 40s to promote social awareness. The use it as a negative is racist.  That’s it. Now back to sports. 
 

Contextually and historically speaking it’s not much different than using a certain other word that many people should not use because it’s not their cultural prerogative.  
 

Do I think some things have gone too far. Sure. But it’s far worse to offend someone deliberately than to be easily offended. Ok. Now really back to sports. 

I do not financially support any woke institutions.  I do not fund DEI or ESG.  I made the conscious effort to stop giving to UA, SUNY or any other institution, other than maybe Hillsdale College, any financial support.  $0

 

This American madness into woke ideology started me down the road to pursuing French/EU citizenship three years ago.  It is illegal in France to even produce government reports on race, ethnicity or religion.  While the US is reverting to a caste system and ditching meritocracy, France remembers the dangers that led to WW2.

 

Let me know how your woke insanity works out for you.  

 

Woke = Marxist Poison 

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Michigan_Dane said:

I do not financially support any woke institutions.  I do not fund DEI or ESG.  I made the conscious effort to stop giving to UA, SUNY or any other institution, other than maybe Hillsdale College, any financial support.  $0

 

This American madness into woke ideology started me down the road to pursuing French/EU citizenship three years ago.  It is illegal in France to even produce government reports on race, ethnicity or religion.  While the US is reverting to a caste system and ditching meritocracy, France remembers the dangers that led to WW2.

 

Let me know how your woke insanity works out for you.  

 

Woke = Marxist Poison 

if it was up to Hillsdale College, we wouldn't learn about slavery, so have a nice day, oh and your tin foil hat is crooked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Have a nice day Karen. This entire conversation is the exact issue that I was referencing so thank you for continuing it and showing it. 

Cute insult.  How's that master degree in memes going? I was reacting to a comment that someone made and correcting the record hoping to educate people to something that a lot of people are insulted by, that is veiled racism.  Not some "snowflake" thing but a reference to a very dark part of our history that we are still working to correct.

But like most people on the hard right, you set the fire, and then yell at the people for trying to figure out what caused the fire to prevent fires in the future. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...