UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

22 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

From the TU story

(on Poff) "He's still a young quarterback," UAlbany coach Greg Gattuso said. "It's the first really hard time he's had. He battled like a maniac. That's who he is. He's competing."

As for the nine sacks, Gattuso said, "When you give up nine sacks, there's certainly enough blame to go around."

"(Sibley) played well and I'm not worried about our offense at all," Gattuso said. "I talked to Coach (Jared) Ambrose (the offensive coordinator) after and I just told him these things happen. I've been doing this a long time. There's a growth process that we're unfortunately in at this point with some of the young players and we'll know who we have next week against Maine and how we play. And I think they're going to come out and play well."

"We're playing really hard," Gattuso said. "I do not have any issues or problems or questions with the effort of this football team. We're battling. We might not be playing as smart as we can on certain situations."

Well, if the offense almost gets shut out, maybe you should worry about it a little. And I realize the turnovers gave up a lot of field position, but the defense only forced three punts all day.

If he isn't fired after this season...Benson should be fired for giving out a ridiculous contract to a loser and failing to protect the University and giving himself an out. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clickclack said:

If he isn't fired after this season...Benson should be fired for giving out a ridiculous contract to a loser and failing to protect the University and giving himself an out. 

I am certain Mark and Vic along with the University attorneys are and will continue to discuss their options about Gattuso and his contract.  I wonder if anyone on this forum knows when Benson's contract expires.  Are we headed for another Dr. Lee McElroy situation where Benson is told that his contract would not be renewed?

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

11 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I am certain Mark and Vic along with the University attorneys are and will continue to discuss their options about Gattuso and his contract.  I wonder if anyone on this forum knows when Benson's contract expires.  Are we headed for another Dr. Lee McElroy situation where he was told that his contract would not be renewed?

I'm not certain with anything when it comes to those two...these are the same clowns that re-upped this loser!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I am certain Mark and Vic along with the University attorneys are and will continue to discuss their options about Gattuso and his contract.  I wonder if anyone on this forum knows when Benson's contract expires.  Are we headed for another Dr. Lee McElroy situation where he was told that his contract would not be renewed?

THis is the key point.  Was the two year contract really 2 years?  If so, that would be until 2024.  Or was it a 1 year with 1 year option.  Or was it something that had incentives he had to meet to keep the contract in place with no damages?

That's the key to all of this because it comes down to money. If he was extended at his current rate, we are talking a 600k-700k buyout, which is something the University does not have at its disposal. I presume all assistants are on one year contracts for this very reason (typical in the sport unless you are a P5 high level assistant).  

So if Benson left himself some outs, he could get out of this with zero payments or limited payments.  If not, he will need to go raise the funds from donors.  

That about sums up what this is about: $$

Zero doubt in my mind that Benson is not happy with the product at this point.  If we averaged 6500 fans a game, you are talking about max 1000 season tix.  So after that, single game tickets at an average of 15 a pop, would get you just under 100k per game in revenue, excluding concessions.  That's a hefty number and with a good product...we can average 6500...no problem.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, statefan said:

I assume they will spend the offseason lobbying Immaculata & Skidmore to add football

Very well done indeed. 

FYI, I have always considered him Gutless Gattuso because of his aversion to risk in his play calling and his complete avoidance of shouldering any of the blame for his failures.  On a physical level Gutless is definitely not the most appropriate descriptor. 

Benson and cretin just seem to go together like peas and carrots. 

I won’t call him names. Any objective observer can see that he has had ample time to build a program and has failed. Three winning seasons out of 9 does not cut it in Division 1 athletics. And that first season in 2014 was really 6-6 if not for a totally bonehead Holy Cross call as time was expiring. Plus, it was with nearly all Ford recruits. It is a failed experiment. Time and time again this team gets out coached and outperformed at critical times in games. That’s coaching. That’s preparation. Once in a while it’s the breaks of the games. But as has been said many times, good teams make their own breaks and don’t rely on the whims of fate to succeed. 

It’s time. Benson, Cegles, Rodriguez….for the good of the team, for the good of the university community, for the good of the fans….it’s time for a change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3