UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 10/30: Exhibition Game Vs. Skidmore - 3:00pm @ HVCC

Not to contradict the experts @ the TU; but my observations from the game are:  for the most part IMHO I was very impressed with the defensive intensity.  Yes at times UA lost a man and the skids got an easy basket. But overall UA defense was quick, got a lot of steals, taps, and deflections. Sometimes these get into the wrong hands and result in easy baskets. It is the nature of aggressive defense, it happens. But still IMHO was very impressed by the defense overall. Also, skidmore shot the ball well and as mentioned had a big height advantage on UA.

Offense was in my opinion the issue yesterday. Many of the same issues as last year:  poor outside shooting and not finishing around the hoop {especially in the first half, got better in the second}, and POOR FOUL SHOOTING. The stats don't lie 12 for 23 from the foul line. Davis was UA top scorer @ 20 pts; on 6 for 17 {2 for 5 from 3, 6 for 10 from line.}  Drumgold was next with 19 points on 8 for 15 [I think ] with 3 3's.

My stats might be off as I saw a box score on the skidmore site after the game, but could not find it again this am; and UA did not even have an article on their web site. I also would have liked to check how many steals UA had; which I recall as very good and turnovers which I recall as NOT awful. So in summary, IMHO UA played well defensively, shot poorly offensively, against a quality DIII team that was bigger than UA and shot the ball well. Also as the TU mentioned UA played with 3½ men down. What it all means at this point probably nothing, but that is the report as I saw it. All WELCOME to correct, contradict, add.

Edited by dslyank

Just now, jimbo said:

Starting the season with three players injured and one out due to a rules violation is not a positive sign. Skidmore is a pretty good team and has oodles of height...including a pair of brothers who go 6-10 and 6-11. Seems like kind of a cop out to me when the coach gets to sit out 80% of his suspension against D2 and D3 competition including two exhibitions. But what do I know? 

Concerning your thoughts about the 5 game suspension of Dwayne Killings, the Times - Union weighed in with their opinion about the manner which the suspension will be served.  See their editorial below:

This one’s a brick

Dwayne Killings, head coach of men’s basketball at the University at Albany, must serve a five-game suspension because of an incident last year in which he was found to have had “inappropriate physical contact” with a student.

The university has announced he’ll serve the suspension at the beginning of the season, between Oct. 30 and Nov. 14. Two of those games are exhibition games, and only one is against a Division I opponent. What’s more, UAlbany will pause Mr. Killings’ suspension so he can be on the court for Nov. 12’s high-profile Albany Cup game against Siena.

In other words, the university seems to be bending over backwards to minimize the visibility of Mr. Killings’ suspension and its effect on the season. That’s a missed opportunity to share a lesson that some UAlbany students still need to learn. This semester began with off-campus parties drawing large crowds that spun out of control, and the university says it takes a stern line with students who disrupt the community and tarnish the institution’s reputation. Minimizing Mr. Killings’ suspension muddles that message. Better for kids to see that actions have meaningful consequences.

Tocomment:TULETTERS@TIMESUNION.COM

Edited by cwdickens
correction

Not as bad as I thought considering 2 of the players were expected starters in Neely and Reddish, and Edmead is supposed to be a major contributor... At least I thought he was. Nice to see Amica playing. Nothing on Patel? Based on some of the analytics sites he was supposed to be the best player on the team starting the season....

• Confused 1

One game does not make a season, it is on to St. Rose ... again, will we answer the wake-up call? ... or will find ourselves in a battle with a feisty St. Rose team looking to do to us what Skidmore could not finish.  For an exhibition game, much more is now on the line.  I suspect there will be some D1 players in the stands watching.

Trying to draw parallels between a coach serving a suspension, that likely wouldn’t have even been handed out if not for public pressure, to off campus parties is ridiculous lol. They have nothing in common. Seeing how a suspension is served by a basketball coach most on campus have never heard of will have zero (0) effect on deciding where one wants to drink on syllabus week. Joke 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ctdanes said:

Trying to draw parallels between a coach serving a suspension, that likely wouldn’t have even been handed out if not for public pressure, to off campus parties is ridiculous lol. They have nothing in common. Seeing how a suspension is served by a basketball coach most on campus have never heard of will have zero (0) effect on deciding where one wants to drink on syllabus week. Joke 

Trying to find the reference here...genuinely confused about this post. 

19 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Not as bad as I thought considering 2 of the players were expected starters in Neely and Reddish, and Edmead is supposed to be a major contributor... At least I thought he was. Nice to see Amica playing. Nothing on Patel? Based on some of the analytics sites he was supposed to be the best player on the team starting the season....

I think I remember Patel made a couple of baskets, and at least one nice move or pass inside.

What I definitely remember is that the bleachers may help get the crowd on their feet - that is, bringing a seat cushion would not be an extravagance. Also the footrests are flush with the seat in front of you

5 hours ago, ctdanes said:

Living in CT ... and the fact that 6 months have passed since the announcement of the suspension, the fine and written apology from Dwayne Killings ... events can easily be forgotten ... what you may have forgotten was the support Dwayne Killings received from community members who felt the situation was not being handled appropriately.  Dwayne remains the coach due to the potential actions that this group may have taken if he was fired.  Further, Dwayne is well known to the student body. Dwayne Killings since his arrival has made a point to reach out the student body on several occasions and many locations on campus.  Further, the Albany Student Press (ASP) and local media has covered Dwayne extensively.  Further, you missed the point of the Times Union editorial.