UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 11/2/22: Exhibition Game 2 at St. Rose - 7:00pm

Uggg. My 1st view of this years team and not impressed, same issues as last year. Should never been that close, up 10 then they were a three away from a tie.  Missed free throws, no excuse.  Patel hit a few shots, Davis not horrible but would love to see Amica push him for minutes if healthy. Jackson ok, Hutch, never spectacular, but did all the little things, including that nice defensive play under their basket with a minute to go.  Beagle will take time to adjust to D1, oh wait, St Rose is D2, Skidmore D3, lol.  .500 in AE would be solid and a surprise.  We always say every year they need time to gel but if basketball IQ doesn't improve and offensive scheme is same as last year, then we be will disappointed, again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

A win ... a lucky stretch at the end ... on to Towson ... a game that may clearly tell us how the year may go

If we play like this against Towson we are looking at a 20 point loss.  Terribly undisciplined team.  Zero offensive chemistry or strategy.  Too small. 

7 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

If we play like this against Towson we are looking at a 20 point loss.  Terribly undisciplined team.  Zero offensive chemistry or strategy.  Too small. 

Little and Reddish need to never see the court together...you can't overcome that much low IQ on the court at the same time. This is worse then a 20pt loss against Towson.

Edited by Clickclack

I try to be completely honest in my assessment of all the teams I follow. 

So I will say this , no we have not played well, but against st rose we missed 3 big peaces that really should give us a combined 25 to 30 points.  Amica, Edmead, and Neeley. Those 3 should have major contributions to this team.  I know st rose was missing O'Dell but those 3 should be huge . 

26 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

So I will say this , no we have not played well, but against st rose we missed 3 big peaces that really should give us a combined 25 to 30 points.  Amica, Edmead, and Neeley. Those 3 should have major contributions to this team.  I know st rose was missing O'Dell but those 3 should be huge . 

They better be or we are in trouble...

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Funny enough, until I was about to fall asleep it didn't dawn on me about Kellogg.  Kellogg is a very big piece for us, to your point about Ketner.  Anyone know why he didn't play?

As for Amica-- love the kid, love what he could be...but the poor guy hasn't played in close to 2 and half years.  Not sure what to expect, if any, based on another injury.

Neely is the obvious.

Edmead-- I dunno, I watched him play last year, live...locally and often.  Nice player and I also forgot he didn't play because Davis was super electric.  If Davis realizes he can't take on teams 1 v 3, he will be a good one. But to your point, we see more of Davis/Edmead vs. a raw Jackson.  

From TimesUnion.com ... there was no report in today's printed edition:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-fights-for-exhibition-win-over-Saint-Rose-17554140.php?IPID=Times-Union-HP-sports-package

and thank the lord there is 57 days until the first conference game ... time to get it right

Update: A photo with a caption concerning the score was on today's printed edition.

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

45 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Based on the comments in this board I assume the Little being referenced is Chicken cause y’all acting like the sky is falling. 

Honestly, I did not see the first Exhibition.  But what I watched last night seemed to be similar to how people described us in that game.  And the same issues remain: No cohesive offensive strategy, a bunch of guys who don't have medium to high basketball IQ, a collection of athletes, etc.  

I am going to give them the benefit of it is early...and we also didn't see Kellogg, Edmead, and Neely.  

But it is the lack of understanding of spacing, lack of strategy, a lack of size (maybe that changes with Kellogg but we are still pretty small down low) that is deeply concerning to me.  You can fix the first two...the last one you can cover for...so it is up to DK to put those actions into play. 

Athletically, we are fine.  

https://dailygazette.com/2022/11/02/hutcheson-patel-davis-help-ualbany-mens-basketball-top-saint-rose-73-66-in-final-preseason-exhibition/

ALBANY

Hutcheson, Patel, Davis help UAlbany men’s basketball top Saint Rose 73-66 in final preseason exhibition

By Adam Shinder | November 2, 2022
UAlbany's DaKquan Davis completes a lay up Matt Constant and Frankie Phelan of Saint Rose on Wednesday.
PHOTOGRAPHER: PETER R. BARBER

UAlbany's DaKquan Davis completes a lay up Matt Constant and Frankie Phelan of Saint Rose on Wednesday.

ALBANY — Toughness, according to senior forward Trey Hutcheson, is going to be the defining quality of UAlbany men’s basketball’s 2022-23 season.

In the final moments of the Great Danes’ final exhibition tuneup on Wednesday at Saint Rose, Hutcheson made the kind of play that exemplifies just that.

With the Great Danes clinging to a 5-point lead, Hutcheson stripped the ball from Saint Rose’s Eric Fleming underneath the basket and, while losing his balance, managed to bat the ball off Fleming and out-of-bounds for a turnover before Hutcheson crashed into the padded wall at Daniel P. Nolan Gymnasium.

"I'm hoping they count that one as a toughness play,” Hutcheson said. It was one of many toughness plays turned in by Hutcheson to help the Great Danes finish their preseason preparation with a 73-66 win.

A 6-foot-5 forward from Marion, Iowa, Hutcheson scored 12 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked four shots as UAlbany overcame a sluggish offensive start to beat a non-Division I opponent for the second time this preseason after similar struggles in Sunday’s win over Skidmore.

It was that final stat, those four blocks, that took Hutcheson himself by surprise.

“I guess it was a lucky day for that,” he said.

UAlbany graduate student guard Sarju Patel, who scored 14 points, didn’t see any luck in Hutcheson’s effort.

“He had four blocks and a steal at the end down there,” Patel said. “He’s giving us all he has. He has a hurt back right now, and he’s giving everything.”

UAlbany was once again without 2021-22 America East Rookie of the Year Justin Neely, who missed both of the Great Danes’ exhibition games with a shoulder injury. Acting head coach Bobby Jordan, coaching the second game of head coach Dwayne Killings’ five-game suspension, said after the game that as of now, Neely isn’t slated to be available for Monday’s regular-season opener at Towson.

Guard Malik Edmead also missed his second straight exhibition, and Will Amica was out after playing against Skidmore on Sunday. Sophomore Aaron Reddish, who missed the Skidmore matchup following a violation of team rules, returned against Saint Rose and went scoreless in three minutes of action off the bench.

Just as they did on Sunday against Skidmore, the Great Danes struggled to find any offense early, starting the game shooting 2 of 18 from the floor. UAlbany did find a groove late in the first half, with a steal and layup by freshman Marcus Jackson at the buzzer giving the Great Danes a 28-26 halftime lead.

“Once the ball started going through the net a few times, we picked up the pace, found transition 3s,” Patel said. “Even going through our [half-court] sets, we’re going much faster.”

“We just told the guys, ‘Listen, we’re getting good shots, we’re getting wide open looks,’” Jordan said. “They just weren’t falling. Which was kind of funny, because we’ve practiced here a couple times with everything we’ve got going on at our place, and guys really shot the ball well when we practiced. I think they just needed to adjust.”

UAlbany withstood a barrage of 3-pointers in the second half from Saint Rose guard Matt Constant, who hit seven shots from beyond the arc and finished with a game-high 25 points. Graduate student Da’Kquan Davis scored 15 of his team-high 20 points in the second half for UAlbany as the Great Danes led by as many as 12 before holding off a furious rally in the final minute that saw Saint Rose get as close as 69-66.

Clutch free throws by Davis and Ny’Mire Little put it away on the scoreboard, and Hutcheson’s defensive toughness made that stand up.

“Just an amazing job by [Hutcheson,” Jordan said. “It started on the defensive end. He did a great job of setting the tone for us defensively.”

Halftime score: UAlbany led 28-26. UAlbany scoring: Hutcheson 4-1-12, Beagle 2-4-8, Little 1-2-4, Patel 5-1-14, Jackson 2-0-4, Drumgoole 2-0-6, Davis 7-5-20, Kenter 2-1-5. Saint Rose scoring: Fleming 1-0-2, Lingonde 6-0-12, Phelan 0-2-2, Constant 7-4-25, Jusianiec 2-2-6, McGettigan 3-0-6, Zoller 4-0-11. Scoring totals: UAlbany 25-14-73, Saint Rose 23-10-66.

Edited by godanesgo99

My report on game 2 is basically the same as game1; and pretty much concurs with most everything said here. I will add this:  this team scraps and plays hard and so far, seems to find a way to win. It is way early and UA's short comings are very obvious {as many here have pointed out}, and a lot of work/improvements are needed; but IMHO this team has a real chance to be good and may very well surprise a lot of people. May be it's just my wishful thinking and being that I'm an eternal optimist??

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

My report on game 2 is basically the same as game1; and pretty much concurs with most everything said here. I will add this:  this team scraps and plays hard and so far, seems to find a way to win. It is way early and UA's short comings are very obvious {as many here have pointed out}, and a lot of work/improvements are needed; but IMHO this team has a real chance to be good and may very well surprise a lot of people. May be it's just my wishful thinking and being that I'm an eternal optimist??

I say the same thing every year in the preseason. Purple and Gold Glasses syndrome is real.

I see the talent and I see the grit. It wouldn't surprise me to see this team win a few games it has absolutely no business being in, but still ending around .500. hopefully I'm wrong and they outperform my expectations instead of underperform it...

• Like 1