UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #23: 1/28/23 - 7PM vs Maine

Eli

22 minutes ago, jimbo said:

There’s still time to complain more! We can get this to two pages. 

What more can be said that isn't said by the league standings.

They are at least 2 games behind every other team in the league. 

Edit. Looks like I got you to page 2😁

Edited by bob87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

My interest level in this team is at a 1 out of 10.  I feel bad for the kids. 

FIRE BENSON! 

I turned to my right at yesterday's game and stated to my fellow fan "They should fire Benson" as he walked past us to sit by himself at the end of the courtside seats texting someone with some urgency. The response, "Not going to happen."  My response: "You are right." While many here have call for this, we do not seem to have any pull.

Feeling bad for the kids, for me, that is bit difficult since some of them are part of the problem. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bob87 said:

What more can be said that isn't said by the league standings.

They are at least 2 games behind every other team in the league. 

Edit. Looks like I got you to page 2😁

2022-23 Men's Basketball Standings
SCHOOL CONF CPCT. OVERALL PCT. STREAK
Vermont 6-2 .750 12-10 .545 W4
New Hampshire 5-3 .625 10-10 .500 W2
Binghamton 5-3 .625 9-12 .429 W1
UMass Lowell 5-4 .556 17-6 .739 L2
Bryant 4-4 .500 13-8 .619 L2
UMBC 4-4 .500 14-9 .609 L2
NJIT 3-4 .429 6-14 .300 W1
Maine 3-5 .375 9-12 .429 W3
UAlbany 1-7 .125 6-17 .261 L5

Our overall Division one record is 4-17 for 19% winning rate.

Edited by cwdickens

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Beagle again bright spot in Danes’ 5th loss in row

By Abigail Rubel

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F01%2F30&id=Pc0200500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230130074559

BEAGLE

TROY — One of a handful of bright spots in a difficult stretch for the University at Albany men’s basketball team has been freshman forward Jonathan Beagle.

The Hudson Falls native, a six-time America East Rookie of the Week, is UAlbany’s second-best scorer (12.1 points per game) and leading rebounder

(6.7 per game). In Saturday night’s 72-68 loss to Maine, Beagle led the Danes (6-17, 1-7 America East) with 16 points to go with six rebounds and two assists.

After UAlbany coughed up a 13-point lead early in the second half, Beagle gave UAlbany a two-point lead with a pair of free throws, but didn’t score in the final 12 minutes.

“They were just making it uncomfortable for me. They wouldn’t let me put the ball on the floor. They were kind of sticking to my gaps and making it uncomfortable for me to just dribble and play freely,” he said.

When UAlbany took its big lead, Maine went to a zone defense, which made the team “tentative” and gave Beagle trouble, said coach Dwayne Killings.

“The man-to-man allowed us to do some different things,” Killings said. “I thought there were a couple times he had opportunities to score it, but it’s just a little bit different look when you got two bodies on you, and we haven’t seen a ton of zone all year, so seeing it live is a little bit different.”

Beagle has increasingly been the focus of opposing defenses.

“It’s new, definitely, but I just need to adjust to it. It happens. So just need to get better every day,” he said.

With the Great Danes beset by injuries, Beagle has averaged 33 minutes per game, second only to senior forward Gerald Drumgoole Jr., who rarely leaves the court.

“I’ve been really impressed with his poise, because I think a lot of guys could get rattled not knowing exactly what you’re walking into, but he just wants to win. And he’s pissed off and so are the other guys because they had it in their hand and we just couldn’t close it,” Killings said.

UAlbany raced out to a 26-13 lead but faded in the second, letting Maine shoot 57.1 percent from the field. The Great Danes still had chances to win late but were hampered by turnovers and defensive missteps. The loss was their fifth in a row.

Reddish a starter

Sophomore forward Aaron Reddish made his first start of the conference schedule Saturday, replacing fifth-year guard Da’Kquan Davis in the lineup.

Reddish was benched for two games due to what Killings called failing to meet program standards. He returned against Binghamton, scoring nine points in 21 minutes. Saturday, he had 14 points and five boards in 37 minutes.

“It feels good to be back out there, be able to help my team as much as I can. Unfortunately we didn’t get it done tonight, but we’ll take everything with this one and bring it to the next one,” Reddish said.

Reddish and the rest of the starters — Drumgoole, Beagle, fifth-year guard Sarju Patel and freshman guard Marcus Jackson — played for 184 of 200 minutes. Junior guard Malik Edmead played 12 minutes, senior guard/forward Trey Hutcheson played for four, and junior* forward Japannah Kellogg came in for three seconds to give a foul late in the game. Hutcheson (back) and Edmead (finger) are both playing through injury.

“We need to invest more time in this lineup. I think this is the lineup we want to try to get to for a while. Obviously we had to do some things with Aaron, but I think he’s in a good space right now,” Killings said.

Davis, who averages eight points per game, was dressed but didn’t play.

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

I haven't posted in this thread, and have nothing to say about the game, but I didn't want to point out that it was one of the more well attended games of the year. Crowd was pretty packed. Concessions didn't expect it and ran out of some key items.

1360 reported fans did not pack the stands .... maybe a third filled ... I expect the UVM fans to outnumber the UAlbany fans at next home game.

Why didn't Davis play? Because he just hasn't been good in conference play, which is where most of us thought he would perform well with the level of competition.

Halfway through the conference season and here are the player analytical stats for conference games only....

vgiQoyl.png

The things that stand out to me the most:

Drumgoole playing 92.5% of the minutes is way too much (not the DK has that much of a choice)

For all the crap he gets for his attitude, and I've given him for not playing aggressive enough, Reddish is having a pretty good season 

Edmead is fast, but he is a turnover machine that outside of a couple strong games has been a liability both offensively and defensively.

I hope Jackson gets a scholarship and stays. He seems to be getting better each game.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Drumgoole playing 92.5% of the minutes is way too much (not the DK has that much of a choice)

For all the crap he gets for his attitude, and I've given him for not playing aggressive enough, Reddish is having a pretty good season 

Edmead is fast, but he is a turnover machine that outside of a couple strong games has been a liability both offensively and defensively.

I hope Jackson gets a scholarship and stays. He seems to be getting better each game.

Excellent summary/assessment.

I would add Patel to the under performing list. When he's hot he's hot; when he's not he's NOT. [the later more frequent.] Also like pretty much All --NO D.

And speaking of two many minutes, a rested Beagle {God I hope he stays}, is going to be special. Right now you often see him winded/tired. As he matures physically and HOPEFULLY with some more support {so he can't be keyed on as much}; and someone to give him more rest, league MVP in his future.

17 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Excellent summary/assessment.

I would add Patel to the under performing list. When he's hot he's hot; when he's not he's NOT. [the later more frequent.] Also like pretty much All --NO D.

And speaking of two many minutes, a rested Beagle {God I hope he stays}, is going to be special. Right now you often see him winded/tired. As he matures physically and HOPEFULLY with some more support {so he can't be keyed on as much}; and someone to give him more rest, league MVP in his future.

Not sure I 100% agree. Probably 80% agree. Offensively you are right. He either has it or he doesn't. That said, he does not turn the ball over and is a ball of effort diving for loose balls and other intangibles. Maybe his D doesn't look terrible to me because the rest of the team is so bad it makes him look better, I don't see him terrible there. Lol

If even anyone has seen Reddish's recent Instagram posting from the Maine game, in my opinion, he is in it for himself... forget his team lost ... ahh ... that the mentality Coach Killing is talking about.

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

24 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

If even anyone has seen Reddish's recent Instagram posting from the Maine game, in my opinion, he is in it for himself... forget his team lost ... ahh ... that the mentality Coach Killing is talking about.

Don’t you have better things to do than lurk around a 19 year olds Instagram page deciding what he can and can’t post. Sheesh.

• Thanks 1