UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Blog étiquette

dslyank

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/siena-basketball-coach-defends-players-online-17772311.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

Article in TU today: LCC coach complaining about social media being unfair, out  of line, and even racist about his team. Kind of feel coach carm was "crying" about something which is a staple of sports today and thinking he was over reacting? He did not list any examples of the "abuse" per se, perhaps it is/was over and above respectability??

What I did want to point out and I think we've done a good job on this blog TO NOT cross the line when making player/team/coach {OK coach/adminstrators fair game--anything goes🙄.} comments/opinions/etc.

Secondly, I thought interesting the article stated an assistant athletic director monitored all social media constantly. I know many have suggested that someone at UA does this also. Just seems like if so and who, rarely do he/she ever react even when complaints/question have a high degree of legitimacy. Sort of like the wolfs guarding the hen house when an assistant athletic director is the primary social media monitor??

Thoughts Opinions on the article and/or my comments WELCOMED!

• Thanks 1

I try to go easy on the kids but the adults leading them are absolutely fair game as they are paid a LOT of money to deliver. I don't talk about their physical traits but I absolutely will trash their ability to do their jobs. 

At the same time, don't want to get trash talked? Don't suck. Simple as that. 

I know first hand that UA AD staff read our forum as I was asked point blank to paint a positive picture and be supportive in exchange for free parking passes in the SEFCU lot for the CCSU football game. I told them much the same thing: I will be positive when the product on the floor/field calls for it and that won't pretend like $iena don't stink otherwise. I still got the parking tickets but I made it very clear to them that it may be best if they don't send me anything if it makes them uncomfortable to help a long time die hard fan out with some parking passes. 

Edited by Eli

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/siena-basketball-coach-defends-players-online-17772311.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

Article in TU today: LCC coach complaining about social media being unfair, out  of line, and even racist about his team. Kind of feel coach carm was "crying" about something which is a staple of sports today and thinking he was over reacting? He did not list any examples of the "abuse" per se, perhaps it is/was over and above respectability??

What I did want to point out and I think we've done a good job on this blog TO NOT cross the line when making player/team/coach {OK coach/adminstrators fair game--anything goes🙄.} comments/opinions/etc.

Secondly, I thought interesting the article stated an assistant athletic director monitored all social media constantly. I know many have suggested that someone at UA does this also. Just seems like if so and who, rarely do he/she ever react even when complaints/question have a high degree of legitimacy. Sort of like the wolfs guarding the hen house when an assistant athletic director is the primary social media monitor??

Thoughts Opinions on the article and/or my comments WELCOMED!

D, D, D,

I had an opportunity to re-read your posting.   You and I have had a couple of discussions concerning aspects of the Times-Union article.

My first point, how graphic and particular does Carm need to be? Carm does not want to point to any particular student-athlete out of safety concerns.  At UAlbany monitoring email and social media accounts starts at the very top.  You may recall, I had a conversation with Vic Cegles concerning a tongue in cheek email concerning the deadline for season basketball tickets in October.  Our senior athletic administrators have access to the staff's UAlbany email accounts and on a routine basis check staff in-boxes looking for any emails with criticism of our sports program.

Image and brand are everything to Mark Benson.  I am of the opinion that he is basing his legacy on these two items.  Over the last two-three years, both are taking hits from MBB and Football, in particular.  Mark was counting on refurbishing the "SEFCU" Arena to bolster his image however the total collapse of MBB may have him scrambling for cover no matter what action he does or does not take concerning the program.

Getting back to the article, what did Carm think he was going to accomplish other than alerting those who did not know that most D1 programs monitor social media accounts for negative and critical comments.

28 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I was not really agreeing or disagreeing with coach carm. Just thought it was an interesting read and wondered what others thought about the prevalence of social media in college athletics and just how far, is too far when "attacking" college athletics and "student athletes."

I have listened to and read newspapers articles concerning his post-game interviews.  Carm has likely unintentionally contributed to the problem because from what I have seen and heard, the blame is always on the players for one reason or another.  Carm has made his players the target.

36 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

I have listened to and read newspapers articles concerning his post-game interviews.  Carm has likely unintentionally contributed to the problem because from what I have seen and heard, the blame is always on the players for one reason or another.  Carm has made his players the target.

He must have gone to the Greg Gattuso school of coaching lol.

• Like 1