UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Be sure to read today’s TU letter to the editor

I don’t want to quote it or include it here as the author was not consulted or asked. However I do know the author to have been a strong supporter of the Danes. His statements are 100 percent on point….we all need to get a little militant and organized to rid UA of both Benson and Killngs…fight the fire with fire….hopefully this well crafted letter will not go unheeded….

Just got the TU and read the letter to the editor. It’s well written and makes many good points. Liked the fact that he mentioned UA’s “wonderful reputation,” and its “long history of coaches” who never created the kind of ugly scenario that we now find ourselves in, on and off the court. Like a dark cloud hanging over the entire university. I too hope that “the changes that need to be made” ARE made. This is not the first such letter to the TU, and probably will not be the last. UA fans are angry and fed up with this whole pathetic business. 

• Like 1

The letter as you say may have been eloquent; but sorry to say it lacks FACTS and once again ignores the premise that a person in this country is innocent until proven guilty. 
TRUE FACTS:  It has NEVER been established that at any time did the University intend to dismiss Duane Killings. It has NEVER been established with proof and witness statements, that DK assaulted a student in any matter. 
About the only thing the writer got right is perhaps an independent investigation should have occurred. But even then only if there was “evidence” to do so.

Finally in the online TU

UAlbany wrong in handling Killings situation
Christopher Brassard, Guilderland
The editorial "UAlbany's bad play," Jan. 26, is spot on. As an alum and supporter of UAlbany academics and athletics over the years, the state of the men's basketball program and handling of this situation involving Coach Dwayne Killings by the administration is an embarrassment and scar on the university's reputation.

The University obviously found some level of the allegations credible or it would not have levied the penalties that it did. The penalties were a farce to many and one must ask what message did that send to the university staff and students and community? The university claims to promote "zero tolerance" yet fumbled the handling of this situation from the start.

It would seem that an independent investigation from some independent body should be conducted to determine what exactly happened here and what was threatened against the university that prevented the administration from proceeding with its original intent to terminate the contract.

The university has had a wonderful reputation and a long history of coaches that fostered a quality education, athletic excellence and a sense of what is right and engaging the community in a positive way. I am not sure we are living up to that currently. I do hope that the university makes the changes that need to be made and hold those accountable for both the actual incident and the handling of this situation. Transparency is deserved to be given to the faculty, staff and students as well as the community.

Published Feb. 13, 2023

The original T-U editorial from 01-26-2023

EDITORIAL

UAlbany’s bad play

With an assault charge lodged against its men’s basketball coach, it’s time for the school to try transparency.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F01%2F26&id=Pc0130500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230127030054
Photo illustration by Tyswan Stewart / Times Union

What is the “inappropriate physical contact” repeatedly referenced by the state University at Albany in its statements about the actions of men’s basketball coach Dwayne Killings during a pre-game “hype circle” in November 2021?

It’s a question the school has refused to answer, for reasons that it has had a hard time justifying. UAlbany clearly knows what happened, or should: It claims to have conducted a robust investigation in response to a complaint from Luke Fizulich, the student athlete who was, uh, inappropriately physically contacted by Mr. Killings, that included taking testimony from other players and staff in the locker room that day before a tournament at Eastern Kentucky University. That investigation resulted in Mr. Killings last spring receiving a $25,000 fine and a five-game suspension.

The school, however, subsequently custom-tailored the suspension in what it claimed was an effort not to disappoint fans counting on the head coach to be on the sidelines when the Great Danes took on Siena College — “a special day for the Capital Region,” in the words of athletic director Mark Benson. It was a decision that sent a clear message to faculty and students alike about the school’s priorities regarding consequences for bad behavior.

A criminal court in Madison County, Ky., was more forthcoming about what Mr. Killings allegedly did to Mr. Fizulich, because UAlbany’s choice of words won’t pass muster when someone is being charged with misdemeanor assault. Documents made available after Mr. Killings’ arraignment earlier this week allege that he pushed Mr. Fizulich up against a locker and struck him across the face with an open hand. The university hasn’t confirmed whether it corroborated that allegation. UAlbany has also refused to say how it found out Mr. Killings was being charged; it is worth noting that the coach failed to report his inappropriate physical contact before Mr. Fizulich made his formal complaint almost a year ago.

Mr. Fizulich in November filed a lawsuit contending that UAlbany initially resolved to fire the coach but then backed off out of concern that dismissing a prominent Black employee would look bad. The civil complaint, however, offers no evidence of the school’s alleged Plan A.

Regardless, we are confident that the school’s response would have been somewhat different if Mr. Killings worked, for example, in the sociology department, where the use of physical violence against a student — if that is what the school means by “inappropriate physical contact” — would almost certainly result in the offending academic being kicked off campus as soon as the facts had been determined. The school has invoked its “zero-tolerance” policy covering violence committed by its employees, but its handling of this matter to date suggests the imperatives of public relations took precedence over any impulse to impose meaningful punishment.

It’s time for UAlbany to more fully explain to the community what happened between Mr. Killings and his former player. That’s an obligation the school owes to Mr. Fizulich and the rest of the team, as well as the larger student body and the state taxpayers who help to support Mr. Killings’ salary of more than $370,000.

To comment: TULETTERS@TIMESUNION.COM

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

The letter as you say may have been eloquent; but sorry to say it lacks FACTS and once again ignores the premise that a person in this country is innocent until proven guilty. 
TRUE FACTS:  It has NEVER been established that at any time did the University intend to dismiss Duane Killings. It has NEVER been established with proof and witness statements, that DK assaulted a student in any matter. 
About the only thing the writer got right is perhaps an independent investigation should have occurred. But even then only if there was “evidence” to do so.

Just because you haven't seen it,  doesn't mean it's not factual.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alum73 said:

Just because you haven't seen it,  doesn't mean it's not factual.

What I wrote on the blog are THE FACTS as we the public know it. I am sure there are facts that I/you/all "haven't seen." Until they become known/revealed and proven, IMHO it is unfair and irresponsible to ask/recommend dismissal of coach Killings.

I am no fan of Mr. Benson and have been very vocal about that on this blog. Yet based on the FACTS in the Killing's incident {that are known,} IMHO it is irresponsible and unfair to make such recommendation as the author and many on this blog are doing. There may be plenty of reasons to fire Benson and maybe coach Killings also; but the incident in question has NOT in any way been proven to be more than an inadvertent & possibly over zealous accident. And I fully support the University in its investigating the "incident" and responding APPROPRIATELY, when and IF the facts are revealed and proven; and in DEFENDING itself and its employees in the meantime.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dslyank said:

What I wrote on the blog are THE FACTS as we the public know it. I am sure there are facts that I/you/all "haven't seen." Until they become known/revealed and proven, IMHO it is unfair and irresponsible to ask/recommend dismissal of coach Killings.

I am no fan of Mr. Benson and have been very vocal about that on this blog. Yet based on the FACTS in the Killing's incident {that are known,} IMHO it is irresponsible and unfair to make such recommendation as the author and many on this blog are doing. There may be plenty of reasons to fire Benson and maybe coach Killings also; but the incident in question has NOT in any way been proven to be more than an inadvertent & possibly over zealous accident. And I fully support the University in its investigating the "incident" and responding APPROPRIATELY, when and IF the facts are revealed and proven; and in DEFENDING itself and its employees in the meantime.

This is exactly correct, and sounds almost like I wrote it.

I have been vocal about Gattuso as he has had almost a decade of futility. I have been vocal about Benson for a variety of reasons, some I have posted about and some are from things I would not post about here. But I have also been pretty vocal about not calling for Killing's head yet, as I think he deserves a 3-4 year window to put it together performance wise for on the court reasons, and the off-the-court stuff needs so much more information to be public before any of us should comment on it.

As the official report goes, I stand with Killings thinking that this is a case of Luke not getting a trophy for showing up and trying to get something for incidental contact that a player on a basketball team should EXPECT from their coach in trying to wake them up.   Locker room moshpit adrenaline building and coaches calling out players that don't seem to be giving it their all should be expected. I'd want Killings fired if he DIDN'T have contact with the players in trying to get them playing harder and angry.   

That said, I will quickly change my tune if more FACTS about the incident are revealed in addition to what we officially know today. If this was more than a coach trying to fire up his team that was playing lazy and uninspired ball and was singling a kid out and punching or more than just pump you up contact, then its an entirely different situation, but as far as PUBLIC FACTS are concerned, there is nothing that I see that supports this. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

While clearly some feel that physical contact (not boxing out or moving a kid into position on the court) by a coach on a player is ok, it is no longer acceptable.  You can think it should or shouldn't be, but it isn't.  That's also a fact.  One side has presented their case in court and publicly (fact).  The other side continues to stonewall (fact).  Does that make them guilty in a court of law?  No.  Is it suspicious behavior to many of us?  Absolutely.  If I'm accused of this (no matter what my attorney tells me) I'm out there giving my side of the story.  I'm getting assistant coaches to tell my story too.  I'm leaking.  I'm screaming.  Yet, nothing.  Silence.  Silence from the top to the bottom.  Still not guilty in a court of law but I've seen/heard enough.  OJ wasn't found guilty in a court of law but he was guilty.  

Add to it that we have 1 win in a pretty terrible conference and my scales of justice have been fully tilted.  

• Thanks 1

I am of the opinion that everyone should have their day(s) in court, "let the criminal and civil cases proceed."  If the cases cannot survive the light of day in the courts hearing each of the cases, so be it.  However, once again, GoDanesGo99 blathers about the Official Report.  Unless I have missed something The University at Albany has declined comment beyond the press release last spring with Killings letter offering his regrets to everyone.  The matter was handled as a personnel matter, which keeps things secret.

So GoDanesGo99, please share the Official Report.

P.S.  The UMV Box Office is holding a couple of tickets for you for 02-28-2023

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

I am of the opinion that everyone should have their day(s) in court, "let the criminal and civil cases proceed."  If the cases cannot survive the light of day in the courts hearing each of the cases, so be it.  However, once again, GoDanesGo99 blathers about the Official Report.  Unless I have missed something The University at Albany has declined comment beyond the press release last spring with Killings letter offering his regrets to everyone.  The matter was handled as a personnel matter, which keeps things secret.

So GoDanesGo99, please share the Official Report.

P.S.  The UMV Box Office is holding a couple of tickets for you for 02-28-2023

Umm, I clearly said that the official report that I know of is what has been reported in the papers. I said that unless any of us were there and know what actually happened we shouldn't be supporting one side or the other. I said with the actual info that was released I have no issue with what happened, but if we find out it wasn't just incidental contact trying to hype up a team that was playing soft, then I'd be all over calling for people's heads and to burn it all down. Until then, it was a coach trying to fire up his soft team in the locker room before a game. If some physical contact happened there, that's fine with me. It should be expected. Some pushing and shoving and trying to get adrenaline flowing. Now directly beating a kid or singling him out with contact is a different thing. In my understanding it was coach getting in multiple players faces telling them to play angry and mad, trying to get adrenaline up. The pregame hype circle can be a mosh pit environment. They hadn't won a game yet, until this one. During this game they finally got a little fired up and had their first win. Luke played 4 minutes in the game. He wasn't hurt.

It might be wrong in today's world as McFan said, but honestly that's BS. These are grown ass adults (over age 18) and should be able to take some prodding. No PC BS will change my opinion on that. The wussificiation of our youth is just continuing and people saying "that's just the way it is today" and "we need to accept that" are part of the problem. Tell our 19 year old soldiers fighting overseas that they can sue if they get some physical punishment in basic training to sue their leadership. I don't see it as all that different. It's what you sign up for as part of a team that plays a physical sport. Cry babies all of you that don't see that. Toughen up a bit. Grow some non-genderspecific proverbial balls.

If my son, in high school, comes home and tells me his coach pushed him and he hit the locker, I'm asking him what he did to deserve it long before I'm even thinking lawyer.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1