UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX Game Two Feb 18 (Sat) 12:00 PM Albany NY Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium against the No. 2 school in D1 Polls

Anyone know why #2 Amos Whitcomb has seen almost 0 action so far. 3rd in goals scored & 4 th in points last year?? I think he was our #1 recruit last year?  Injured or just beat out by this year’s deep freshman class.??

Also #5 Thislewaight (spelling?) was getting a lot of minutes towards the end of last year. 0 minutes so far?

Also Carino 0 minutes so far?

On 2/18/2023 at 12:48 PM, UAlbany09 said:

Why did they stop using Fallon Field for games? They have a dedicated lacrosse facility and they don’t seem to be using it. The game looks horrible with all the football lines. 

HOLDs way more fans and if you look at year over year attendence U Albany is always in the top 10 in the country.  Doesn't bother me t all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

Saw game live and re-watched the first half; came away from both with the feel that this UA team could be for real IF.  And I'll get to that if in a second, but first a couple comments on yesterday. Certainly, Cornell looked like an Ivy team playing its first game with less than three weeks of practice; much like UA the previous week when they went up against cuse, who already had an actual game under its belt. Regardless, UA really did outplay Cornell in pretty much all facets but one GROUND BALLS. Stats which certainly are not all telling do bear this out {Cornell goalie did have more saves, but IMHO Heller"s were overall more spectacular.}  UA absolutely had a couple of defensive lapses [but far far fewer than the previous week.] 10+ ground balls for Cornell, plus a couple UA D lapses, plus some questionable officiating were the difference in this game.

Bad officiating in itself can never be blamed for a loss IMHO; but in the third period (which I have not re-watched yet), a UA's player's helmet was ¾ knocked off his head, no call. On the very same series, now downfield a UA player was called for unnecessary roughness, which Cornell immediately turns into a goal. IMHO the game turned by that call and the no call. Also, twice Cornell went on a quick start with UA D's just standing around looking totally confused, one resulted in a score the other in a spectacular Heller save. Also, Cornell F/O man who was/were being called for face-off violations all game long, went on a break away, with the whole place including the Albany D just standing around thinking it was another obvious violation, walked in untouched for the goal. In situations like this, I never know if it bad coaching or just player brain &arts, when they forget to play on while "assuming" the ref has the situation under control?? Same for the quick start lapses??

Now, for the IF; sorry it took me so long to get here. I never, expected UA to win this game and don't even know if they deserved to win it or not?  Historically, UA has sometimes/often even, been able to play up vs. quality opponents and likewise play down to lesser teams. It is my humble opinion, if they can correct and fine tune a few things {ground balls, lapses, etc.} and play & practice hard consistently, this years team can be more like the Dane Trains of a few short years back. Yesterday's game was very encouraging IMHO.

It was clealrly the ground balls.  No question.  Our kids played like a different team and the stats in every category - except ground balls - says that.. evewr there we won the cluth 90% of the time and just could not get the ground ball or they attacked and we lost it many times.  got to be better there.  Clearly out team can play with anybody.......

I HAVE to disagree on the rest - I would not call them questionable calls.  A guy I played FB with [who played lacrosse may years ago] who has never been loud or said officiation changed the game in ANY sport, in fact he is a really low-key guy - said and I quote "This is the first time in my life that I can say the officials lost this game for us."

The faceoff you reference the Cornell FOGO CLEARLY took the ball before the whistle was blown our guy stood up expecting a reset andthe Cornell FOGO took off toward the goal. It was like his 7th violation {That was NOT coaching or  a brain fart}.  Marr went crazy.  In YEARS of watching I have never seen such a non-call that actually affected the outcome of the game - caused a TWO POINT swing in the game....

The non-call on the hitting of the helmet did not directly affect the outcome although it would have given us a man-up - so it may have - who knows.

In the 4th quarter the "fight" in front of the net their guy came up under the helmet of Heller and took his helmet off and THEN swung at his head with his long stick, one of Def knocked him away and got an unnescesaary roughness penalty.  The kid should have been thrown OUT OF THE GAME and been given a 2 minute NON-RELEASABLE.   We were down but would have gotten the ball. That was just OUTRAGEOUS.  Our players and all of our fans were yelling at the refs to watch the replay on the big screen which was played twice...........Their last goal was also questionable; their kid's feet were in the crease[ as seen on the replay], Heller knocked him onto his back and he swept the ball and it rolled into the net and the goal counted..............  Should have been a turnover.

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Anyone know why #2 Amos Whitcomb has seen almost 0 action so far. 3rd in goals scored & 4 th in points last year?? I think he was our #1 recruit last year?  Injured or just beat out by this year’s deep freshman class.??

Also #5 Thislewaight (spelling?) was getting a lot of minutes towards the end of last year. 0 minutes so far?

Also Carino 0 minutes so far?

Carino did play in both games  # 36 - played more yesterday but still only a few minutes.  Had a short stick this time, Came in on D - he is a middie.  Whitcome was not on the sideline yesterday.  He as either hurt OR may - and this is ONLY a guess - be academically in-eligible, in which case I don't think he would be allowed to dress dress or be on the sideline [remember our goalie a couple of years ago.]

I agree on Thistlethwaite - he did play a lot in the scrimmages - there were 6 or more players not dressed at the last crimmage don't remember him - not sure about Syracuse since I watched it on my Computer.    The two freshman who are getting lots of time are pretty good players, Richmond # 15 scored twice and Lee #28 got a LOT of time

4 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Petrakis was the FOGO getting violations, Psyllos got the quick goal.

Petrakis was 7-14 on FO, Psyllos 4-9

Doesn't matter which one it was - that was a game changing non-call

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Definitely  a better effort, but Cornell looked like an Ivy team playing its first game with less than three weeks of practice. 

WE looked like a totally different team than the one who played last week - so last week we looked like a good team playing it's first game again what will turn out to be a top 10 team.   Annoys me to make excuses for a top team that we outplayed in most facets of the game.  Ground balls killed us....

14 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

A guy I played FB with [who played lacrosse may years ago] who has never been loud or said officiation changed the game in ANY sport, in fact he is a really low-key guy - said and I quote "This is the first time in my life that I can say the officials lost this game for us."

Glad you said this. I pretty much also feel the ref's were a & {may be the} major reason UA lost. I edged on saying it straight-out, because not much a team can really do about bad reffing . Only play harder and work on the things they can control--like better ground ball efficiency. And I know it is a HARD thing to do & coach, but players have to play through until the whistle blows; you can't rely on the stripes to make the call you expect even when it is obvious.

So while not being as unequivocal as you and your friend, I most definitely agree referring in this game had a very direct effect on the outcome.

And, I also absolutely agree that this UA team "can play with anybody....."

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

Whitcomb was on the sidelines yesterday, at least he was during warm-ups and the pledge.  Also, pretty sure he did play a couple of minutes in the cuse game?

He played a little against Cuse.  We looked and didn't see him the other day, must have missed him.  No clue why.  I do know a couple of the freshman who did play a lot are pretty good...  Sometimes it's hard for coaches to make tough decisions that affect players but are good for the team.....They may have made one....

Edited by HOF2013

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

I was hoping UA's good performance Saturday would put us back in "receiving votes." I guess the ref's kept us out of that for now.

Vt @ 21 and umbc getting votes in media poll. VT & yes Merrimack getting votes in coaches poll.

Merrimack have played nobody.....................Okay so VT beat Utah who beat Marquette by 2 but Mar. haven't played anybody of note. Utah got hammered by Denver and lost to VT by one golal. I guess we'll see what happends.  UMBC has had one game - beat Drexel 12-7

Edited by HOF2013