UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 2022-2023 Season Over

Speaking of Brown, absolutely hilarious to see him daily take shots at UA, offering coaching advice, this morning posting Hooley shot video. Dude still clearly has not moved on.

Listen I get it, I'm sure it's fun and an easy target but the guy always was a bit of a Stony Brook. UA certainly deserves it for managing to hire someone worse than him by a wide margin which is quite the feat. Maybe should have used some of his own advice, he'd still perhaps have a job. 

Edited by Clickclack

2 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Speaking of Brown, absolutely hilarious to see him daily take shots at UA, offering coaching advice, this morning posting Hooley shot video. Dude still clearly has not moved on. Maybe should have used some of his own advice, he'd still perhaps have a job. 

All due respect to your thinking, if I was Coach Brown, I would take shots at UAlbany.  Clearly, the UAlbany choice of a coach has not worked out in the short term and may not work out in the last three years of his contract. Surprisingly, you have not posted any examples of Brown's shots.

Finally, when it came to Coach Brown's contract, Benson came to the fork in the road.  Benson could have stayed on the known road instead he took down another road and over the cliff with coach that has absolutely no head coaching skill set, inability to select quality assistant coaches and how to relate to his players. 

18 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

All due respect to your thinking, if I was Coach Brown, I would take shots at UAlbany.  Clearly, the UAlbany choice of a coach has not worked out in the short term and may not work out in the last three years of his contract. Surprisingly, you have not posted any examples of Brown's shots.

Finally, when it came to Coach Brown's contract, Benson came to the fork in the road.  Benson could have stayed on the known road instead he took down another road and over the cliff with coach that has absolutely no head coaching skill set, inability to select quality assistant coaches and how to relate to his players. 

Go read his twitter...again, I get it, it's kind of funny but that's been the book on him, petty to the bitter end. He's been low-key doing it all year. It's a bit of a passive aggressive approach like if I was still the coach, this is how I would coach my players. Or this is what a good team looks like...stuff like that. The implication there being what we all know, this is not a good team, not well constructed or coaches and that Benson by all accounts hired the wrong guy. At least that's the way it looks right now. Just seems petty coming from him as coaches don't usually do that to one of their own in the coaching fraternity. You'd think he was tearing up a pretty weak league to be talking lol...truth is he finished 5, 7, 6, 4 and 3rd his last contract for an average finish of 5th place. But hey, never missed the tournament lol. So I guess that's something. 

It's not like it was Dwayne Killings fault that Benson fired Brown. DK just took the opportunity presented to him. It's OK that Benson chose to go in a different direction in my book, but he screwed it up it appears, about as badly as one could, not sure he could afford that but here we are. Again, it's kind of entertaining to see him do this on Twitter even if it's petty. Hopefully he can put some of that energy into getting another D1 job as I'd like to see him coach again from a different vantage point. 

Edited by Clickclack

In the most obvious headline of the year

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/ualbany-men-s-basketball-struggled-season-17837290.php?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=copy-url-link&utm_campaign=article-share&hash=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGltZXN1bmlvbi5jb20vc3BvcnRzL2FydGljbGUvdWFsYmFueS1tZW4tcy1iYXNrZXRiYWxsLXN0cnVnZ2xlZC1zZWFzb24tMTc4MzcyOTAucGhw&time=MTY3ODgxMTc1OTExMg==&rid=N2FjZTI1MjMtMzE1My00NzQ2LWEzNzYtZTRkMmE1ZGYxNWI1&sharecount=MQ==

UAlbany men's basketball struggled through the season

March 13, 2023

UAlbany coach Dwayne Killings, second from left, speaks to his players on the court as Vermont takes a foul shot during a game at McDonough Sports Complex on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023. The Danes had to play on Hudson Valley Community College's court because of renovations to SEFCU Arena and couldn't overcome injuries in a trying season.

UAlbany coach Dwayne Killings, second from left, speaks to his players on the court as Vermont takes a foul shot during a game at McDonough Sports Complex on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023. The Danes had to play on Hudson Valley Community College's court because of renovations to SEFCU Arena and couldn't overcome injuries in a trying season.

Jenn March

It was a rough year for the University at Albany men’s basketball team and the fans who watched it struggle all season long.

The Great Danes never won two games in a row, finished in last place in the America East and missed the playoffs for the first time as a Division I program.

UAlbany (8-23, 3-13 America East) won its first league game on Jan. 8 against UMass Lowell and then lost nine straight contests before going 2-2 to end the regular season. The Danes had a chance to make the conference tournament on the last day of the season but lost at No. 1 Vermont by 18 points.

Inexperience and injuries were two of the biggest problems facing UAlbany, and the Great Danes, one of the youngest teams in Division I, couldn’t overcome them.

Coach Dwayne Killings, who finished his second season at UAlbany, plans on holding a meeting next week to discuss the season’s trials and tribulations with the players.

“Obviously injuries were a part of it, but what were the other things that they saw? What are the other things that they think? I think it’s really important that you give the guys a chance to download the season after they’ve digested it,” Killings said.

Sophomore forward Justin Neely, last season’s conference Rookie of the Year and the team’s top returning scorer, injured his ACL early in the season in his second game back from a shoulder injury. Sophomore guard Ny’Mire Little (hip) went down a few games later. Only four players stayed healthy all season, with senior guard/forward Trey Hutcheson, junior guard Malik Edmead, sophomore forward Aaron Reddish and freshman guard Marcus Jackson all missing games due to injury.

Staying healthy is one of Killings’ top priorities next season.

“The ability to keep our guys on the floor has cost us our true potential both in our first year and in our second year,” Killings said, referring to leading scorer Dre Perry’s meniscus injury that sidelined him most of last season.

Jackson filled in for Little and junior Will Amica at point guard, but Killings plans to target someone who can be “a true leader at the point guard position” in the transfer portal to join what he predicts will be “one of the best frontcourts in mid-major basketball” in Neely and freshman forward Jonathan Beagle.

Beagle was named America East Rookie of the Year, the second time UAlbany has won back-to-back Rookie of the Year awards. He averaged 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds per game.

Outside of Beagle and senior forward Gerald Drumgoole Jr., who led the team with 15.7 points per game and hardly ever came off the court, no one else was able to score consistently.

“We had all these different guys who had really good moments at different points, but you couldn’t get sustained, consistent production from guys, whether it was defensively or offensively,” Killings said.

Killings started the season away from the team, serving a five-game suspension as a result of a school investigation last spring that found he made “inappropriate physical contact” with a player before a Nov. 2021 game.

He returned to coach in a 75-62 loss to Siena in the return of the Albany Cup game and only missed one Division I game in the season opener at Towson.

The Great Danes didn’t get their first Division I win until the end of November, beating Presbyterian by three points in the Sunshine Slam, and got their second five games later against LIU. They were on the road for most of the nonconference schedule and played just three games at Hudson Valley Community College, their home for the season because of renovations to SEFCU Arena.

Re: Will Brown Tweets.... While some may see it as petty, the Hooley Shot and the utterly amazing feelings we all had as fans that day came up in my Facebook memories today. Images of me with my kids on the floor, video of the nets being cut and banner being raised while "Land Down Under" blared on PA system, the pics of SBU fans being silent and motionless in shock, etc. All those posts were there for me to see in my memories to relive. 

If I wasn't so despondent on how this season ended right meow, I probably would have shared the clips and videos on Facebook, this site, and or other social media, but I didn't because it's painful to remember the highs after this seasons lows.

While Brown may be "petty" and "taking jabs" it's also the anniversary of one of the greatest moments in sports history - definitely in UA sports history, the ESPN moment of the month from that year, and something to celebrate. Sharing it doesn't have to mean being petty.

I think I'll go back and watch the YouTube video "WOFX Call" right about meow.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Go read his twitter...again, I get it, it's kind of funny but that's been the book on him, petty to the bitter end. He's been low-key doing it all year. It's a bit of a passive aggressive approach like if I was still the coach, this is how I would coach my players. Or this is what a good team looks like...stuff like that. The implication there being what we all know, this is not a good team, not well constructed or coaches and that Benson by all accounts hired the wrong guy. At least that's the way it looks right now. Just seems petty coming from him as coaches don't usually do that to one of their own in the coaching fraternity. You'd think he was tearing up a pretty weak league to be talking lol...truth is he finished 5, 7, 6, 4 and 3rd his last contract for an average finish of 5th place. But hey, never missed the tournament lol. So I guess that's something. 

It's not like it was Dwayne Killings fault that Benson fired Brown. DK just took the opportunity presented to him. It's OK that Benson chose to go in a different direction in my book, but he screwed it up it appears, about as badly as one could, not sure he could afford that but here we are. Again, it's kind of entertaining to see him do this on Twitter even if it's petty. Hopefully he can put some of that energy into getting another D1 job as I'd like to see him coach again from a different vantage point. 

Sadly, while you are able to post what you are thinking, believing and otherwise feel like commenting about Coach Killings and the UAlbany MBB team, you do not always give others the same latitude including Will Brown.  Now, I am not a Twitter person and do not intend to start now.  Now, as I recall, Will is an adult, so he can feel free to be a little foolish on social media. I think we all have done that.

Let us not attempt to rewrite history, as you may recall Benson chose not to renew Will's contract.  Instead, Benson chose to look for a new coach or as St. John's University, (Queens, NY), likes to put it "A Change of Leadership", something UAlbany has failed at.

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Sadly, while you are able to post what you are thinking, believing and otherwise feel like commenting about Coach Killings and the UAlbany MBB team, you do not always give others the same latitude including Will Brown.  Now, I am not a Twitter person and do not intend to start now.  Now, as I recall, Will is an adult, so he can feel free to be a little foolish on social media. I think we all have done that.

Let us not attempt to rewrite history, as you may recall Benson chose not to renew Will's contract.  Instead, Benson chose to look for a new coach or as St. John's University, (Queens, NY), likes to put it "A Change of Leadership", something UAlbany has failed at.

Oh, I beg to differ...lol..they "changed" it alright... :)

2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Speaking of not renewing a contract...UNH has decided for a change of leadership. Hopefully for them they make a better choice than we did. 

Contract of Head Coach Bill Herrion Not Renewed - University of New Hampshire Athletics (unhwildcats.com)

So far NJIT and New Hampshire are looking for new leadership ...Is there any other schools in the America East looking for a new MBB coach?  I see Will Brown applying for the Wildcat job however not the NJIT job as according to CBS Sports, it may be at the very bottom of MBB head coaching positions in the America East.

Edited by cwdickens
update

6 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

So far NJIT and New Hampshire are looking for new leadership ...Is there any other schools in the America East looking for a new MBB coach?  I see Will Brown applying for the Wildcat job.

I dunno about this comment.  One of Will's biggest UA gripes, rightfully so, was lack of support on a multitude of levels.  UA is light years ahead of supporting hoops compared to that of UNH.  I coached multiple kids who went on to star in three different UNH sports...and hoops is an afterthought.

Zero doubt in my mind if Will went to UNH that they absolutely would need to increase budgets and other ancillary support.  

That being said, I would go to UNH games often, it is a short drive from Boston.  It is a great little town for him to live.  

• Like 1