UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer Portal- MBB Targets / Interest / Offers / Signees 2023

10 minutes ago, Eli said:

🤮🤮🤮🤮

Rodriquez needs to clean house. This is an unmitigated disaster. 

Fire Killings. Fire Benson. Fire Cegles. Fire Gattuso. Fire anyone involved in the continuous losing being done at UAlbany. 

This is rock bottom. 

AGREE 100%. But the reality is Beagle 99.9% gone; DK more than likely gone or about to be. And more than likely we get to keep the rest. HOPE HOPE HOPE, I’m wrong; but where are/is anyone powerful enough to get rid of Benson etc.
No offense to anyone & all on this blog, but we have been for years screaming about the failureS of the current athletic administration, with really NO one listening. Sorry to you ALL, but wish one or a couple of you had some power to get something done. 

7 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Tobin Anderson took FDU from 4 wins, in one of the $ienatiest conferences in America and with limited resources and small recruiting pool, to a 20 win season with FOUR D2 players he brought up from STA.

It can be done very quickly in the portal era.  

I get it, the right guy can...but this is exceedingly rare IMO

Markwood brought respectability to Maine in just one season. TO MAINE!

Killings brought in back to back rookies of the year (Neely, Beagle), another on the all-rookie team (Reddish) and another who had a case to be on the all-rookie team (Jackson), and has 3 freshman signed for next year, one is a pre-season favorite for ROY in Margoupis, one could be on the all-rookie team in Robinson, and another that looks like they could grow into a contributor as early as year 1 in Adnan. 

While this year was terrible, at first glance it appears that DK was doing it the right way in building a solid core, then filling needs with the portal. I was willing to look past the poor results this year as it really appeared we were building for long term success instead of the quick short-lived rebound. Drumgoole and Beagle leaving doesn't totally negate that, but it sets us back another season. 

Fan faith and interest in the program is already at an all-time low. Not sure how we could recover from another last place season.

Edited by godanesgo99

3 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Markwood brought respectability to Maine in just one season. TO MAINE!

Killings brought in back to back rookies of the year (Neely, Beagle), another on the all-rookie team (Reddish) and another who had a case to be on the all-rookie team (Jackson), and has 3 freshman signed for next year, one is a pre-season favorite for ROY in Margoupis, one could be on the all-rookie team in Jackson, and another that looks like they could grow into a contributor as early as year 1 in Adnan. 

While this year was terrible, at first glance it appears that DK was doing it the right way in building a solid core, then filling needs with the portal. I was willing to look past the poor results this year as it really appeared we were building for long term success instead of the quick short-lived rebound. Drumgoole and Beagle leaving doesn't totally negate that, but it sets us back another season. 

Fan faith and interest in the program is already at an all-time low. Not sure how we could recover from another last place season.

Cornelius has a much better shot at being the best rookie out of this group and it's not close IMO. And yeah, this totally negates it, freshman don't win, young teams don't win, hasn't that been made abundantly clear last two years especially this year? This is a 300+ ranked team again next year, unless they bring in 3 all AE type kids. 

At this point the only thing that matters to me isn't wins but getting solid leadership back at the program level. They need to go back to foundation, because the Benson/Vic/DK/Gattuso foundation is clearly rotten to the core. 

Edited by Clickclack

8 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Cornelius has a much better shot at being the best rookie out of this group and it's not close IMO. And yeah, this totally negates it, freshman don't win, young teams don't win, hasn't that been made abundantly clear last two years especially this year? This is a 300+ ranked team again next year, unless they bring in 3 all AE type kids. 

It doesn't matter who is better and who is more likely to win. The point is  adding 2 all-rookie caliber players each year for multiple years in a row creates a winner in year 3 or year 4. Especially with the portal to fill positional needs. Losing one of those players sets the program back a year, probably two years of the one you lose is the freshman like in this case. Next year should have been a middle to the top of the league finish with 2 more strong rookies to add to the last 4, with the following year being favorites for the league with 6 plus whatever was brought in.

Then while you lose the grad transfers in Beagle and Neely after year 4 for their year to shine in the ACCtype league to prep for the pros, the team has the new crop to fill in. IMHO, that's how you get to long term success in mid-majors today. 

I believe this all comes back to the uncertainty of Killings future. No reason to stay and win here if you question the direction of the program and who will be leading you the following season.

Edited by godanesgo99

Just now, godanesgo99 said:

Agreed, but adding 2 all-rookie caliber players each year for multiple years in a row creates a winner in year 3 or year 4. Especially with the portal to fill positional needs. Losing one of those players sets the program back a year, probably two years of the one you lose is the freshman like in this case. Next year should have been a middle to the top of the league finish with 2 more strong rookies to add to the last 4, with the following year being favorites for the league with 6 plus whatever was brought in.

Then while you lose the grad transfers in Beagle and Neely after year 4 for their year to shine in the ACCtype league to prep for the pros, the team has the new crop to fill in. IMHO, that's how you get to long term success in mid-majors today. 

I believe this all comes back to the uncertainty of Killings future. No reason to stay and win here if you question the direction of the program and who will be leading you the following season.

I agree but that's all out the window here...

8 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

It doesn't matter who is better and who is more likely to win. The point is  adding 2 all-rookie caliber players each year for multiple years in a row creates a winner in year 3 or year 4. Especially with the portal to fill positional needs. Losing one of those players sets the program back a year, probably two years of the one you lose is the freshman like in this case. Next year should have been a middle to the top of the league finish with 2 more strong rookies to add to the last 4, with the following year being favorites for the league with 6 plus whatever was brought in.

A non-$ienaty season, a coach who is more professional, and coach who understands the X and O's likely can convince kids to stay 2-3 years in the new era...and that fits into your narrative completely.  The problem is, our coach DOES NOT understand X and O's, doesn't show great leadership qualities (he may grow into that), and had the outside issues.  Why stay if you are a player.

I was completely confused when I heard that Killings (last year) wanted to build with high school frosh for four years.  It's like he doesn't get the new world of the portal.

I think Beagle was gone either way, however in year two...no.  I thought 3 or 4.

Interestingly, Tobin Anderson in an interview the other day stated that all these schools hiring high major Assistants are taking risks.  He felt he learned so much more as lower level HC than Assistant.  It goes to the narrative that Assts. have way different impacts / leadership requirements than HCs.  

• Like 2

I just wrote Havidan an email but as been the case before I doubt he'll even acknowledge it. How much longer are we going to watch this program be ruined from within by leadership? 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eli said:

I just wrote Havidan an email but as been the case before I doubt he'll even acknowledge it. How much longer are we going to watch this program be ruined from within by leadership? 

If Beagle goes to LCC, you can add Havidan to the list of who needs to go.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, statefan said:

He isn't going to LCC. Why lose in the MAAC when you can lose in the AE?

If I was a betting man, and I am, I think the payout odds are close to:

EVEN: he ends up at a major program, top 5/6 league, guessing Syracuse with their rebuild. Contribute right away, maybe as a 6th man, but star in year 2 or 3 (this is the dream almost every kid has)

-120: in leagues 6-10 ... somewhere like the Pac-12 or CUSA. Start right away, but star in year 2 (this is most likely)

+140: somewhere in the next tier, 10-15, where he can be all-conference right a way. A place like the A10. (This is probably his best move short term)

+500: Tests the waters, but is convinced to stay at UA for one more season to play with Neely and cast and show he can win anywhere he plays (this might be his best move long term)

+1000: Decides to go pro right away and goes to Europe or the GLeague to get better against the best (this is ridiculous, but I bet its more likely than $iena)

+5000: goes to another low major conference team, like Siena, UVM, or other. (UA should fire everyone and solve any remaining title ix issues by removing MBB as an offered sport if this happens)

Edited by godanesgo99

43 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Interestingly, Tobin Anderson in an interview the other day stated that all these schools hiring high major Assistants are taking risks.  He felt he learned so much more as lower level HC than Assistant.  It goes to the narrative that Assts. have way different impacts / leadership requirements than HCs.  

Case in point, Hubert Davis at North Carolina. I'm hoping he comes back strong next year, but this year was disappointing in several ways.

36 minutes ago, alum73 said:

Sam could not have said it any better; however, I must restate my thoughts: a coach and staff with no skill sets, a team that had little talent (certain exceptions) and/or sense of team unity and a fan base heading for the exists.  If Killings stays, he will be scrambling from now until October looking to fill in the gaping holes in the rooster with Benson & Cegles trying to figure out why few people have renewed their season tickets.  Further, I would not be surprised if Broadview FCU rethinks its relationship with UAlbany.

After just two years The New Mentality is just a phrase with nothing behind it.

I will say that Jonathon Beagle's farewell comments were well crafted and presented in such a manner to show maturity in chaotic situation.  However, I strongly suspect that his family had discussed this as an option when Jonathan committed to UAlbany.

3 hours ago, statefan said:

Curious? Old transfer rules allowed team losing a player to block the transfer for one year from going to another in-conference team; and I believe also a within a geographical radius. Anyone KNOW if still the case or is the Portal now just absolute FREE range??