UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany getting lapped?! Binghamton Upgrades

Dane96

On 5/22/2023 at 11:33 AM, classof95 said:

I ran into an Albany alum who owned a store (his sweatshirt gave it away) this weekend and we talked a bit about the state of the university and athletics. He is pretty involved still as an alum but is losing interest year by year. Said that he has had a few conversations with President Rodriguez about concern over losing ground to the other major SUNYs, both in academics and athletics. Said the degree was far more prestigious back in the 90s than it is now. Rodriguez apparently said that they're less concerned with US News rankings and more with making the university accessible to as many students as possible. I like the latter idea but I'm not sure it precludes the former. Has anyone else heard similar sentiments from the administration?

Yes.  They've decided to run the University as a social service agency rather than a center of excellence.  They use different words but the meaning is clear.

• Confused 1

My first thought, and excuse my French…we are not a Binging community college.  That’s how it seems to be run if we don’t care about where we stand in the pecking order. 

I had some hopes for our President but he’s seemingly too busy with his national aspirations.  

43 minutes ago, classof95 said:

Yup. But hey, maybe we can string together 50 million $10 gifts to match that.

How about something that is doable and practical: 250,000 at $2,000 per donation and/or set a more modest goal of $250 million then 250,000 gifts at $1000.  If increasing the endowment is our goal, try a more reasonable approach.  Alumni, parents of current and former students and other community members may find this approach desirable.

8 hours ago, cwdickens said:

How about something that is doable and practical: 250,000 at $2,000 per donation and/or set a more modest goal of $250 million then 250,000 gifts at $1000.  If increasing the endowment is our goal, try a more reasonable approach.  Alumni, parents of current and former students and other community members may find this approach desirable.

I was joking...but also, we have 190,000+ alumni, so we'd need every single person to give at the rate you suggest. So the piecemeal road is out. Be we also unfortunately don't have the heavy hitter donors that even some other SUNYs do. We need a billionaire to come along.

Edited by classof95

PowerBall shoulda let me win that $2B, I woulda thrown a few shekels UA's way but with the 'fire half the ADept' string attached lol.

You know what would be better in driving donations? Winning products on the floors and fields of our university. But no, the ADept only concerns themselves with extending bad coaches and overcharging for simple things like parking.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

UAlbany had a program announcement by Gov. Hochul, accompany by NBC TV weatherman Al Roker.

Thanks for stopping by #UAlbany and launching a weather balloon with our students, @alroker!

Earlier today Governor Kathy Hochul announced the creation of the New York State Weather Risk Communication Center at UAlbany! The center will act as a hub for essential weather information and develop new tools to help emergency managers prepare and respond to severe weather events. Al Roker visited our ETEC building with Governor Hochul talk about the new center.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, cwdickens said:

UAlbany had a program announcement by Gov. Hochul, accompany by NBC TV weatherman Al Roker.

Thanks for stopping by #UAlbany and launching a weather balloon with our students, @alroker!

Earlier today Governor Kathy Hochul announced the creation of the New York State Weather Risk Communication Center at UAlbany! The center will act as a hub for essential weather information and develop new tools to help emergency managers prepare and respond to severe weather events. Al Roker visited our ETEC building with Governor Hochul talk about the new center.

fun fact: Al Roker is a proud Suny Oswego grad.