UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Jerry Jennings is out of touch

DaneFan2k3

"This is a game that everyone is jumping into" at a time when many cities have seen their convention attendance drop by 50 percent or more since the peak years of the late 1990s, said wood Sanders, author of the report. "Convention centers themselves are expensive, money-losing propositions."

Sanders, of the University of Texas at San Antonio, studied the finances of dozens of convention centers and feasibility studies used as justification by local officials. He said the centers don't deliver on big promises of economic revitalization.

Sanders' analysis was dismissed Friday by Jennings, who has been pushing the convention center project since 1996. "I'm not getting too excited over this report," the mayor said. "As a state capital, this is a very unique market. I think it was unfair to group us in with the other cities."

Albany is among 40 cities, including New York, Hartford, Chicago, Denver, Tampa, New Orleans, Detroit, Raleigh, Phoenix and Colorado Springs, that are planning or building new or expanded convention space.

Yes, how unfair to group Albany in with that lot. Who would want to convention in New Orleans? Or Tampa? Or Phoenix? Wouldn't you rather come to Albany, especially from October to February? And why lump us in with tiny towns like Detroit, NYC, Chicago, Denver ... I mean, they're so small, with no hotels or convenient direct flights, why would anyone want to hold a convention there?

Apparantly Jennings' $158 million plan is uniquely suited to meet the needs of mid-size city, cold-weather convention groups... I think a lot of conventions go to Las Vegas because they offer good deals on convention space (not because of the variety of entertainment, lodging, transportation choices or the weather). Right?

Taxes are oppressive, but bring on the convention center! It, like most of downtown after 5, will sit empty 2/3rds of the time.