UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Rethinking Siena

I was disappointed following the Siena game to read several conciliatory notes both from Siena people and Albany fans.

The last time I checked, Siena still sucked. If some of them want to wish us well, and congratulate us on the whipping they took, fine. The first time they beat us again, they'll not only repeat that there is no rivalry, they'll be asking to discontinue the series because we provide no competition.

As a long time Danes fan, there is not the slightest speck of room in my brain for any good thoughts about the Siena basketball program. My belief is that real Danes fans agree.

I graduated UA in 85 and to be frank never really knew much about Siena. I played football (JV) for two years and the local talk was always Union and RPI. From a basketball perspective the "rivalry" was Potsdam but as I recall Potsdam usually won.

I would guess that the Siena rivalry existed way before I got to UA but was put on the back burner when they went D1.

A couple of years back when I first found the UA board, I decided to go to the ECAC game against Robert Morris and UA played Siena the day before in hoops so I decided to attend - I was quite surprised that there was such a level of interest and "rivalry" with the two programs.

I'm certainly happy that UA won the game this year as that game will lead to an increased following in the Capital District. I sense that the media focus has picked up.

Also, while the Siena game is important - the conference games are the ones that really matter.

I think Siena has done a good job at creating and maintaining basketball support in the capital district. We need UA to capitalize on that interest and get some fans.

Also, while the Siena game is important - the conference games are the ones that really matter ...  I think Siena has done a good job at creating and maintaining basketball support in the capital district. We need UA to capitalize on that interest and get some fans.  - reeder

excluding the conference tournament, the siena games matter most of all ... key to all the perks of capital region support: attendance, media coverage, sponsorships, local recruitment, etc.

got a kick out of John D'Argenio marketing an upcoming, discounted, siena game for the pepsi ...

This is a great opportunity for families in the Capital Region to see the area's premier sports team at minimal cost."  - Siena College Director of Athletics John D'Argenio.
Edited by alumni '92'