UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Today's Gazette

First, the other stuff. I'm no LSU fan, but it was pretty cool to see tens of thousands of people wearing purple and gold cheering their team on. Next, the Siena Board. With the way our season is going, it is my only source of amusement, although I do think there are a lot of similarities between the seasons their Michael Haddix and our Levi Levine are having. Both seem to be the focal point of opponent's game plans, and both have become frustrated with double and triple teams and at times have tried to do too much themselves (not without good reason)

I don't think I'm one of those people who thinks the coaching staff needs to explain every strategic decision they make to the fans; but I am happy when they do. An example in point - I thought the best 10 minutes of our D1 history was the beginning of the Wagner game. Our freshman guards, with Levi were able not only to break the press but run actual fast breaks. The ball movement was crisp and effective. At the time I actually said to Dane Pound that dealing with the press was a concern of mine heading into league play, knowing that BU, Northeastern and UNH are prone to press, and I was happy to see that not only could we handle it, but turned it to our advantage. Then came Sunday, when BU's press killed us, and yet Courtney Johnson was glued to the bench. I couldn't understand why.

Today's Gazette Division 1 Tuesday page on UAlbany has a feature article entitled "Johnson shouldering bigger load" and contains the following answer as to why Courtney didn't get in until the final minutes of the first half. Coach Brown is quoted "I was trying to send him a message. I want him to understand that he had made some mistakes defensively in the previous game. I just thought he got complacent for a couple of days. I wanted him to learn from those mistakes. I told him not to forget what got him into the lineup - his work ethic and defensive intensity. I told him he still has a lot of work to do"

The remainder of the article is complimentary of Courtney , his work ethic, his willingness to compete and his hard work in practice. It also mentions that he is an excellant student and has made honor roll for the first semester.

The rest of the Great Dane page has the following points.

It details the progress of the other freshman. When Iati played 39 minutes on Sunday, it was the fewest minutes he played in the last 5 games. Martin had his best all around game of the season with 7 points, 8 rebounds and a career high 4 assists.

Other men's notes . Knotts had a career best 15 poiunts against BU and a career high 33 minutes. He is averaging 11 points over the last 3 games. St. Hillaire is averaging 12.2 points and 6 rebounds over the past 5 games. The 2-9 start is the third time it has happened in our 5 D1 seasons, the other 2 started 3-8. The 17 point loss to BU was the worst at the RACC. The 10 3s BU had was the 4th time we gave up that many; the others were to Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse. The Hoop Games show begins this coming Saturday

Women's notes: Conference play begins Wednesday. Becky Ayers had a career high 24 points against Pepperdine and tied a school record free throw percentage going 10 for 10. Maree Jones had a season high 10 rebounds in the same game. The Lady Danes had a season low 9 turnovers against FIU. It was the Lady Danes first road victory in over a year. Ayers has double figures in 11 consecutive games.

Edited by statefan

Kudos to Coach Brown for his demanding that all members of the Danes, regardless of the tough situation the team is in, put forth the maximum effort every day. He has not thrown in the towel nor will he allow his team to. It is character like that that makes him unique and will eventually guide us to the upper echeleon of the AE...........and beat Siena!

And I agree with your comment that the coaching staff does not have to explain every decision that they make to the fans..............but I like it when they do!

DOWNTOWN

I'm in total agreement with you and statefan.

Kudos to Coach Brown for his demanding that all members of the Danes, regardless of the tough situation the team is in, put forth the maximum effort every day. - DOWNTOWN

I don't think I'm one of those people who thinks the coaching staff needs to explain every strategic decision they make to the fans; but I am happy when they do. - statefan

It's evident that Coach Brown is a teacher as well as a coach. I liked what he did in the BU game when Levi got tangled up with Rashad Bell. He pulled Levi and had a courtside discussion with him - probably discussing with Levi that he had to control his frustration and reminded him that he is a leader this year. He then reinserted an under control Levi.

Sometimes I sit in the stands and wonder why certain players aren't playing - when apparently they did nothing major wrong during a game. But Brown's comments in the Gazzette let you know that he's at practice everyday and we are not. He and the staff are working on certain things as a team and with individuals and they are expected to show they are carrying them over to game situations.