UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Playoff Expansion most likely pushed to 2010.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...333/1002/SPORTS

In one of three proposed major format changes, the NCAA Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet has recommended that the FCS postseason field be expanded from the current 16 teams to 20 in 2010. Rather than start the season early or let it run late, bye weeks would be eliminated.

Previously, the cabinet suggested adding two bids in 2008 and two more in 2010 - working toward a goal of 24 - so as to spread out the associated financial burden. But with the upcoming season less than six months away, there were too many scheduling conflicts to overcome, said cabinet member Ed Grom.There is at least one hang-up with the new plan, too. The 2010 football season is not a part of the current budget cycle, meaning that the proposal - to be considered by the Division I Budget Committee in March - would require the use of funds that are not yet in play.

"The NCAA representative in the room said that was unprecedented," said Grom, commissioner of the Great West Football Conference, "and they wouldn't know where the Executive Committee would be on it."

If the field does jump to 20, the bids will be split evenly between at-large selections and automatic qualifiers. In that event, the Big South and the Northeast Conference would gain automatic-qualifier status, meaning their respective champions would be guaranteed a place in the bracket.

The other proposals seem to still be viable, but unlikely because of logistical problems.

I'm OK with waiting to 2010 for an auto-bid. With our scheduling the way it is, we have the advantage of being in consideration for an at-large. If we win 9 or 10 games next season we'll be a lock for a playoff bid. if we win 8, we'll be in the mix.

Thanks for the update.

Personally, I'd prefer to follow Stony Brook to the Big South over continuing to remain in the NEC. Auto bid or not for the NEC. I think this university needs to continue to "raise the ante" as Dr. McElroy likes to say. We need to by full scholly. I like to think in bench marks. UMass should be what we're striving to catch.

Thanks for the update.

Personally, I'd prefer to follow Stony Brook to the Big South over continuing to remain in the NEC. Auto bid or not for the NEC. I think this university needs to continue to "raise the ante" as Dr. McElroy likes to say. We need to by full scholly. I like to think in bench marks. UMass should be what we're striving to catch.

I wouldn't want to be in the Big South unless they had an Auto-Bid. What SBU is going to spend in travel we can put towards the stadium. Once we see what happens with the CAA an in 2011 or 12, then we'll see.

BTW, I think SBU has a legitimate shot at winning the Big South this year. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Archived