UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

FWIW I will give what I think is an assessment of the first qtr of the season. The Good, Bad, and the ugly.

I will start with the good as there are a lot of points that are outstanding.

THE GOOD:

WE ARE HEALTHY AFTER 4 BRUTAL GAMES(more on this later) that was a major concern. When we went down 24-7 I was thinking put McCarty a$$ on the bench. Him being a fierce competitior probably would of hated it but sit em down.

Much to my surprise the defense is much better then I thought it would be, even against the pass(still need a lot of work in the secondary). Before last night the D really were able to pressure good teams and keep us in games. We are a little small for the CAA on D but very athletic. We will be good sized for NEC play. Our LB play is OUTSTANDING. Even the Delaware coaching staff made mention of our LBs. WE NEED MORE SACKS OUT OF OUR FRONT. We cant blitz every down.

Again before last night our O was clicking. McCarty is a superstar and Vnny is developing a passing game ! They were an awesome defense. We wont see a D that good until we get into the CAA with 63 rides and face Delaware again. UNH and UMASS were HS defenses next to Delaware. Keep in mind people that if Delaware had an offense they would of beaten Maryland. THEY KEPT MD TO 14 PTS. I dont subscribe that they were tired, they were beaten up by a far far superior team. They have 15 staters back from a team that was in the NC game last year.

BTW our recs are also playing better this year then last. The one bright spot last night and Danefan addressed it is the play of our special teams has improved greatly. Our returns were outstanding. Just think where the returns will be when we face slower NEC teams.

THE BAD:

An OOC schedule like this is criminal. You want to play CAA football? Then pony up the scholarships, redo University Field for 10 Million make it look beautiful and schedule it. To face teams of this level is not only dangerous, its stupid. The fact we are 1-3 is a testament to Fordie's and Simpson's ability to get this kind of mileage out our kids. If you want to play CAA lower level teams put Rhode Island, Towson, or Northeastern on the schedule. We have a very good young team and we need their minds as well as bodies in tact. We are a very good NEC team. Can we compete with the CAA? Yes, as we have proven it. I hope we got paid for these games.

Open the playbook. I will give them credit they are beginning to get comfortable with Vinny and letting him throw. I understand they were trying to control the clock against these teams. Its smart football, but when you fall behind a tough team like last night a comeback is impossible.

Our secondary is better then I thought but they are still suspect against the pass. Duquesne has a good QB but they are no where near the level of play we have seen. Give the Duquesne QB time and he will pick us apart. MORE PRESSURE. Rush 4 and not three.

THE UGLY:

Just the posters on this board are probably ugly. LOL just kidding guys.

FWIW I will give what I think is an assessment of the first qtr of the season. The Good, Bad, and the ugly.

I will start with the good as there are a lot of points that are outstanding.

THE GOOD:

WE ARE HEALTHY AFTER 4 BRUTAL GAMES(more on this later) that was a major concern. When we went down 24-7 I was thinking put McCarty a$$ on the bench. Him being a fierce competitior probably would of hated it but sit em down.

Much to my surprise the defense is much better then I thought it would be, even against the pass(still need a lot of work in the secondary). Before last night the D really were able to pressure good teams and keep us in games. We are a little small for the CAA on D but very athletic. We will be good sized for NEC play. Our LB play is OUTSTANDING. Even the Delaware coaching staff made mention of our LBs. WE NEED MORE SACKS OUT OF OUR FRONT. We cant blitz every down.

Again before last night our O was clicking. McCarty is a superstar and Vnny is developing a passing game ! They were an awesome defense. We wont see a D that good until we get into the CAA with 63 rides and face Delaware again. UNH and UMASS were HS defenses next to Delaware. Keep in mind people that if Delaware had an offense they would of beaten Maryland. THEY KEPT MD TO 14 PTS. I dont subscribe that they were tired, they were beaten up by a far far superior team. They have 15 staters back from a team that was in the NC game last year.

BTW our recs are also playing better this year then last. The one bright spot last night and Danefan addressed it is the play of our special teams has improved greatly. Our returns were outstanding. Just think where the returns will be when we face slower NEC teams.

THE BAD:

An OOC schedule like this is criminal. You want to play CAA football? Then pony up the scholarships, redo University Field for 10 Million make it look beautiful and schedule it. To face teams of this level is not only dangerous, its stupid. The fact we are 1-3 is a testament to Fordie's and Simpson's ability to get this kind of mileage out our kids. If you want to play CAA lower level teams put Rhode Island, Towson, or Northeastern on the schedule. We have a very good young team and we need their minds as well as bodies in tact. We are a very good NEC team. Can we compete with the CAA? Yes, as we have proven it. I hope we got paid for these games.

Open the playbook. I will give them credit they are beginning to get comfortable with Vinny and letting him throw. I understand they were trying to control the clock against these teams. Its smart football, but when you fall behind a tough team like last night a comeback is impossible.

Our secondary is better then I thought but they are still suspect against the pass. Duquesne has a good QB but they are no where near the level of play we have seen. Give the Duquesne QB time and he will pick us apart. MORE PRESSURE. Rush 4 and not three.

THE UGLY:

Just the posters on this board are probably ugly. LOL just kidding guys.

Very good assessment 'Ruler 2'.

UA has done a terrific job with the resources they have been provided. It's just a shame that UA has not been treated equitably relative to it's SUNY Center Peers. One only needs to look at SBU or UB to realize is fact. I hate UB a little more every day for throwing UA under the bus. There are only 3 D1 SUNY football programs and only 1 has been hugely underfunded. Maybe SUNY Central should move their offices to Buffalo?

I am very tired of the NEC conference but at least UA should continue to be the dominant team. We're through the worst of it.

Ruler,

i think you and I are on the same page. We saw a lot of things at Hofstra that haven't really changed. With that being said, the special teams play have improved a great deal.

Justin Gannon is a sure thing bringing back kickoffs and punts. I wouldn't be surprised to see him return 3 or 4 kickoffs for TD's/Punts in NEC play.

The reason Albany lost to Delaware was depth. The four tough road games took their toll on the defense. Our offensive Time of Possession hasn't been great all season, especially considering the fact that the great majority of plays are run plays.

And sitting listening to a radio or even in the stands is no where near the same perspective as on the sideline or up in the booth, but man the offensive play seems bland at best. 10 runs in a row with McCarty? Sure it led to a TD, but it had to take its toll on McCarty and the offensive line. Plus Albany wasn't really able to run at all after that series.

Now, this week should give us a good idea of where this team really stands. Duquense, while coming off a good win over Dayton, is no where near any of the 4 teams UA has played already. Like I said in the other thread, I'll be disappointed if the games is closer then 3 TDs. Confidence needs to get back up for what will undoubtedly be a tough game against CCSU in two weeks. They are coming off a big win over MEAC champion Delaware State. They'll be ready to make up for that butt whooping put on them at their place last year.

I'm a disappointed this Monday knowing the Danes have no shot at the playoffs, but at the same time hopefully they can get it together and run through the NEC again. I'd like to see Esposito put some big passing numbers up in NEC play this year. That would be nice for a change and open up the box for McCarty to run wild.

Oh and BTW, I'm tired of the NEC too, but until the stadium gets built or University Field is redone (where I'm leaning now) we can't move anywhere.

But here's an interesting website for those interested. It is a database for payouts made by FBS teams for gaurantee games. Some of note:

Syracuse paid Akron $300,000 and Northeastern $375,000 (from AGS, not the database).

Rutgers paid Morgan State $300,000.

Archived