UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

To be fair to Vinny aka #7 he had a magnificent game on Saturday against Wagner. I was one of the band leaders looking to sit him down if he struggled and he played beautifully. So props to Vinny to close out his career with a near flawless game!!! Wish you played that well against CCSU or RMC. But you had a sensational career and alot to be proud of.

On a quick note for next year. I watched the Albany-Wagner game on FCS (channel 623 on sattalite)on Sat and witnessed the birth of a new Albany team. I think Danefan is giving RMC an early head start on 2010 in the NEC, for a change I will disagree. God forbid,If by chance we are still stuck in the NEC next season I like our chances to win it outright. I watched #10 and he is an absolute monster when he gets going. Make him the TB now!!!! He looked like a man amongst boys on Sat. He was physically as big as most Wagner defenders. I know Wagner is not great against the run but man he was a thing of beauty when he got going. He is bigger and faster then McCarty! We are going to need to bring in some JUCO wr's and maybe a couple of O-lineman to fill in the gaps. We will need to replace a whole bunch on D but we have some good players in the wings!!

Someone in the know please give me some insight to what is going on in the CAA and what are our chances of getting the slot vacated by Northeastern!!!!

To be fair to Vinny aka #7 he had a magnificent game on Saturday against Wagner. I was one of the band leaders looking to sit him down if he struggled and he played beautifully. So props to Vinny to close out his career with a near flawless game!!! Wish you played that well against CCSU or RMC. But you had a sensational career and alot to be proud of.

On a quick note for next year. I watched the Albany-Wagner game on FCS (channel 623 on sattalite)on Sat and witnessed the birth of a new Albany team. I think Danefan is giving RMC an early head start on 2010 in the NEC, for a change I will disagree. God forbid,If by chance we are still stuck in the NEC next season I like our chances to win it outright. I watched #10 and he is an absolute monster when he gets going. Make him the TB now!!!! He looked like a man amongst boys on Sat. He was physically as big as most Wagner defenders. I know Wagner is not great against the run but man he was a thing of beauty when he got going. He is bigger and faster then McCarty! We are going to need to bring in some JUCO wr's and maybe a couple of O-lineman to fill in the gaps. We will need to replace a whole bunch on D but we have some good players in the wings!!

Someone in the know please give me some insight to what is going on in the CAA and what are our chances of getting the slot vacated by Northeastern!!!!

I agree. I was thinking the exact same thing watching the game. Vinny played great.

As for the CAA and Northeastern, everything I've read and heard (including a conference call with CAA Comish Tom Yeager) indicates that nothing is going to happen anytime soon.

Here's the CAA timeline as I see it:

2010 - 11 teams, unbalance North/South schedule. Yeager has said that they have figured out the schedule for next year and they will play with 11 teams next year.

2011 - Old Dominion joins the CAA to make it 12 teams. They will probably just move a South team to the North (Towson probably) and the schedule is easily balanced. No additional teams added.

2012 - Georgia State joins the CAA to make it 13 teams. Here is where they have a problem. They'll be a 13 team league indefinitely starting in 2012. There is a lot of speculation on Georgia State not staying FCS long and just using the CAA as a jumping off point for FBS football. But they have not officially declared that and even if they did they couldn't make that move until around 2014 or 2015 at the earliest.

Yeager said yesterday that there was going to be a conference call today with the CAA Football athletic directors to address the situation and that "adding another team is going to be discussed as a long term planning opportunity". Those were his words.

There are 3 realistic expansion possibilities that make sense:

Albany - America East all-sports. Travel partner with the CAA North. Natural fit. Scholarships are limited right now and our stadium absolutely sucks. Legendary coach and a 1 million+ person untapped media market.

Stony Brook - America East all-sports. Fully loaded with scholarships and a facility. Hofstra will have a major problem with this. Hofstra is a full-CAA member and they aren't going to give up their recruiting stronghold that easily. SBU is hemoraghing $$$ right now and without Lavalle in control that cannot last much longer.

Fordham - Atlantic 10 all-sports (like Richmond, UMass, Rhode Island). Fully loaded with scholarships starting next year. NYC market. Hofstra will likely have a problem with this as well and I've heard from numerous people connected to the program that the Board of Trustees will not approve a move out of the Patriot League for football to anywhere but independent status. So that will hold them up.

I'm hopeful that McElroy can work some magic and get us a spot in 2012 in the CAA North. That will give us 2 seasons to fundraise for scholarships and stadium enhancements. A move to the CAA will generate a ton of buzz in the alumni community and it will definitely help fundraising.

Archived