UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX Game Three Feb 25 (Sat) 1:00 PM Albany NY Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

I was there and was fine.  Just gotta dress for it. Hunting boots with 2000 grams of thinsulate - toe warmers. Heavy gloves three hoodies with a couple of light layers underneath.   Two pair of long johns under my jeans.    The only thing that got a little chilly in the 4th was my legs.  Hot Chocolate at 1/2 time with a hot pretzel... it was good.   Small crowd for us but still a couple of hundred I would guess.

We played well, especially on Def.  I will say our guys are still allowing guys on the other team free in front of the net sometimes.  They got two goals that way and missed several passes in front but so did we when on Off. They had two or three scores off terrible passes by us that went out of bounds or were picked up by them as ground balls.   Karins won about 80% of the Faceoff clutches and came out with the ball they attacked and he lost some and we lost it in the scrum again and they ended up with more FO wins???????  Still got work to do on the ground balls.  They called Gash for a stick to the stomach of a Drexel player?????? with about 6 mins to go - and Carino called for a slash on the same play.  We were down two and they scored their last goal.

Edited by HOF2013

UALBANY 11, DREXEL 7

UAlbany gives Marr 200th

Danes’ coach 1 of 8 active Div. I coaches to achieve milestone

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F26&id=Pc0200700&ext=.jpg&ts=20230226065954

MARR

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F26&id=Pc0220400&ext=.jpg&ts=20230226065954
Bruce Dudek / UAlbany Athletics

Senior midfielder Darien LaPietro, right, a Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake grad, shoots during UAlbany's victory over Drexel at Casey Stadium on Saturday. LaPietro had one assist.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F26&id=Pc0220500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230226065954

UAlbany senior attack Jack Pucci finished with a team-high four goals, including a pair of clutch tallies in the second half after Drexel had twice rallied to within two goals.

ALBANY — University at Albany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr walked into Saturday’s postgame news conference carrying a bottle of Covalli Prosecco wine with a piece of tape that read, “Congrats on No. 200.”

It was a present from his team after Marr earned his 200th career victory with an 11-7 victory over Drexel on a freezing, snowy afternoon at Casey Stadium.

“Somebody legal, I hope, bought it,” Marr said with a laugh.

The Great Danes players crowded around Marr and jumped in celebration on the sideline after securing the milestone victory, which was also the first win of the season for UAlbany (1-2).

Senior attack Jack Pucci, who had four goals, said the players were aware of Marr’s accomplishment long before it was announced over the public address system at game’s end.

“I can’t even put it into words,” Pucci said. “We were obviously trying to get there last year and we fell a little short. While it wasn’t on the front of our heads, it was definitely in the back for all the returning guys from Day 1. There had been murmurs about it and the fact that we got to do it against a good Drexel team that has become a rivalry, it just means even more.”

Pucci could have bought the wine. He was born in 2000, the year before Marr made his head-coaching debut.

Marr, whose team lost its first two games of the season to Syracuse and Cornell, improved to 200-143 over 23 seasons at UAlbany. He becomes one of eight active Division I coaches with at least 200 wins and the 36th all-time in Division I.

“It’s nice, but we play a team sport and I’ve always been a team guy,” Marr said. “It was nice to have that spotlight, I guess, on me for that moment and it was fun ... but it’s 200 team wins, not 200 Scott Marr wins.”

Marr, 54, said his main concern Saturday was getting the first victory for this year’s team. He said his personal milestone reflected the support he’s gotten over 23 years from his players, his assistant coaches, former UAlbany athletic director Lee McElroy, who hired him, and current Great Danes athletic director Mark Benson.

Along the way, Marr has won nine America East titles and reached 10 NCAA Tournaments, including UAlbany’s only Final Four appearance in 2018.

He said he still remembers his first UAlbany victory — a 15-9 win on March 24, 2001 at Boston College, which no longer sponsors men’s lacrosse.

“It’s a lot to stay in one place for this long in sports,” Marr said. “I’m proud of that fact, that I’ve been here for 23 years and I’ll finish my career here and hope I have a few more brighter days before I retire.”

On Saturday, UAlbany sophomore midfielder Thomas Decker scored just 45 seconds into the match and the Great Danes took a 3-0 lead.

Drexel (1-2) closed to within 5-3 and had a man advantage to start the second half. But UAlbany goalie Jack Van-Valkenburgh (six saves), getting his first start of the season, made a nice save on the doorstep and then Pucci scored to make it 6-3 with 11:18 left in the third quarter.

When the Dragons closed within 7-5, UAlbany’s Silas Richmond and Pucci scored back-to-back goals to keep them at a safe distance.

UAlbany returns to action March 7 against UMass at Casey Stadium.

▶› msingelais@timesunion.com 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais

Anybody see that Brown wailed on VT. 22 - 12.  VT plays Harvard today at 4:30  

Yale wailed on UMass today 18 - 9 

LIU beat U Mass Lowell 12-8 today

Edited by HOF2013