UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Our reminder that the Albany Academy is more than basketball and football:

ALL IN

Criscone commits to play golf for Great Danes

Albany Academy star staying close to home

JOYCE BASSETT

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F17&id=Pc0190700&ext=.jpg&ts=20230417051949
Paul Buckowski / Times Union archive

Nicole Criscone, of Clifton Park, a four-time Times Union first-team selection, has committed to the University at Albany and plans to study psychology and criminal justice there.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F17&id=Pc0190800&ext=.jpg&ts=20230417051949
image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F17&id=Pc0210500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230417051949
Paul Buckowski / Times Union archive

Nicole Criscone, of Albany Academy, putts during the final round of the state championship last year. Criscone formally committed to play golf for the University at Albany Great Danes’ program.

“I’m just having fun dad” were the first words I heard uttered by Clifton Park golfer Nicole Criscone.

At the time she was a single-digit golfer, in age that is.

I had just taken up golf and was playing in an evening 9-hole league at Eagle Crest in Clifton Park. Criscone was at the practice green with her dad, Craig, chipping and putting, and starting to lose focus as kids (and golfers of all ages) are prone to do.

I’m not sure of the year, but it was before 2016, when she qualified as a 9-year-old and competed as a 10-year-old at Augusta National in the Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals Competition and met Justin Timberlake, two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson and former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Her smile, ponytails and adorable golf outfit on a beautiful summer evening were memorable. And I would interview her, photograph her and feature her performances in my sports and golf columns for the next decade.

Her commitment to the game remains intact. Her smile is still bright; especially in pictures this week with seven days left of classes at Albany Academy and her drivers’ test approaching. The UAlbany women’s golf program and Criscone announced she formally committed to play golf for the Great Danes’ Division I program.

UAlbany coach Colleen Cashman summed up her junior and high school golf career for me on Friday.

“For many years now I’ve had my eyes on Nicole as a local golfer. It’s been fun to watch her grow up and into the special player that she is today,” Cash-man said.

I couldn’t agree more.

On Saturday, Criscone gave a nod to her dominating Albany Academy teammates and coach Sarah Adamowski. The Bears have captured all three sectional team titles contested as they took the 2022 season event by 100 strokes. Albany Academy for Girls prevailed in 2021 by 81 and won the 2019 event by 91 strokes.

“We all push each other to be better and we all have fun with each other. I honestly think we all help each other to become the best golfers we can be,” Criscone said, calling her golf teammates the most important people she’s ever met. “It’s so good to have your teammates on your side and I look forward to that for the next four years at UAlbany.”

Criscone was a stellar performer annually in junior and high school tournaments. As a senior she earned a second-place finish at the Colonial Council Tournament, finished third at the state qualifier and had the second-best round at the Section II team championships. She is a four-time Times Union first-team selection.

Her individual highlight came on the junior golf circuit: she tied for third at the American Junior Golf Association tournament at Chicopee (Mass.) Country Club in the summer of 2021, carding 71-69-76 (216) on the par-71 layout.

“That was a pretty awesome experience,” Cris-cone said. AJGA tournaments typically attract the sport’s top players nationally and internationally, vying for rankings, and to take home a trophy is a big deal.

After what she considered an off-year in 2022, Criscone has been working with PGA professional Scott Berliner, the 11-time NENYPGA Player of the Year from 2011-2021, who is now director of instruction at Glens Falls Country Club.

“I just have to keep practicing. I’m going to be out on the range a lot. Last year I was off a little bit and worked hard during the winter getting my swing as consistent as possible. In the next month or two my distance should be pretty good and the ball should be straight at the same time,” she said, looking forward to a return to form while utilizing her biggest asset: smacking 250-yard drives.

“She has a good understanding of her golf swing these days,” Cash-man said. “Coach Berliner has really helped shape her game recently and I’m looking forward to her coming in and pushing our current players next season for a spot in the starting lineup.”

“It’s always very special when you can keep a local kid local,” Cashman continued. “Someone everyone in the Albany area can root for.”

Criscone, who plans to study psychology with a minor in criminal justice, did her homework when choosing UAlbany.

“I’ve walked their tournaments a few times and they welcomed me as soon as I committed. I felt so comfortable with coach (Cashman) and the team and UAlbany already feels like a home to me,” she said.

A home close to home. And an opportunity for Capital Region golf fans to embrace collegiate golf. Sounds like fun.

▶› Joyceb10 bas-sett@gmail.com A @joyceb10bassett A timesunion.com/author/ joyce-bassett