UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany is big time now

Dane Pound

You know you've made it when you have your own ice cream flavor.

Release

UAlbany and Hershey’s Unveil “Great DANEgerous Swirl” Ice Cream

Interim President John R. Ryan announces UAlbany's new signature ice cream. Photo credit: Tiziana Rota

ALBANY, N.Y. (December 1, 2004) -- The votes are in and the top choice of students at UAlbany for the school’s new signature ice cream flavor is “Great DANEgerous Swirl.” Students got to sample the vanilla ice cream with purple and gold candy-coated chocolate pieces and golden peanut butter swirl after UAlbany Interim President John R. Ryan and students unveiled the winning name at a press conference Wednesday. With 439 students participating, 89 students voted for the winning combination of ingredients.

Taking a cue from the UAlbany Great Dane mascot, “Great DANEgerous Swirl” won out over such names as “Albany Crunch,” “Great Dane Delight,” “Great Dane Crunch,” “Great DANE-a-licious,” “UAlbany Crunch” and “UA Crunch.” Two UAlbany seniors teamed to come up with the winning name, LaTosha Staton, a 21-year-old Economics major from Freeport, and 22-year-old Tanaya Johnson, an English major from Manhattan. There were 106 names originally submitted.

The ice cream contest was sponsored by University Auxiliary Services and Chartwells, the University dining service, in collaboration with Hershey's Ice Cream.

“Great DANEgerous Swirl” is the third signature flavor Hershey’s has created for a college or university, the others being “Victory Vanilla” in recognition of Penn State's national football championship in 1986, and “Orange Explosion” for Syracuse University.

I don't know how many of you have tried it (as it's only served on the quad's dining halls) but it's actually REALLY good!

I was one of the three scoopers who scooped for almost an hour and a half. We had hundreds of people come out and try it.

Nice company now with only Penn State and Syracuse being the other two schools to have their own Hershey ice cream. Got some nice press for it too!

Chartwells (the campus dining service) isn't to open to new ideas all the time, but I will certainly pass it on.

In addition, I do sit on a couple committees and am a member of a couple groups for campus activities, athletics, etc., and there was dicussion at one point to give free samples of the ice cream at either the Big Purple Growl and/or the first home men's game after the spring semester starts (January 19th). So we shall see what happens.

I'll be sure to post about it if I hear anything new.