UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany/Siena Game

I saw some posts on Siena's message board re: expected attendance for game next Fri. 10.000-13,000 seems to be the expectation w/ possible sellout in near future. I don't see much negativity coming from Siena fans about the game as before most felt this game is no win situation for them. They are also showing compassion for recent injury to Wilson & hard luck that Albany has endured so far in D1 move. I think they realize this game means a lot for both programs as gets area fans excited (as most in attendance I'm sure are not alumni but area sport fans) & also greatly helps their attendance figures as not easy for them to consistently get non-conference games against the big boys as price you pay for being well-respected mid major program. I also see this game as great for area in terms of support as always hear negative comments about area fans not supporting local teams. I think it says a lot for the area as great support exists for this recently renewed rivalry. This area had sellouts (15,000) for local minor league hockey when River Rats played Adirondack Red Wings which to me was amazing & showed potential is here for great support but unfortunately Adirondack folded as killed a great situation which will probably result in River Rats leaving as well. RPI/Union tried to create same situation but for what ever reason were not successful. I caught some of Rodger Wyland's radio show recently & was annoyed as he spent more time ripping Jim Coyne for trying to bring back minor league basketball franchise as time could have been spent reinforcing how special upcoming Albany/Siena game has become. I also think more tv ads, etc should be stepped up to bring even more attention to this event. I wish Rodger Wyland would use same passion Jim Coyne has to bring something positive for local sports scene as would only make him even bigger fish in the area if UAlbany becomes sports jewel of the area (which I think they could in time if done right) but seems to be more interested in major sports teams (Giants, Yanks, spring training, etc) which probably is what most area sports fans are as well. I just think for all the crap this area gets for its poor support of teams, the turnout for game like one coming up on Fri is pretty darn impressive. I also think Albany students made presence known at last years game & will only get stronger for future games.

I've been a little surprised that there has been very little fanfare for the game thus far. I've heard a few Siena spots for the sale of their season tickets which hypes the game with something to the effect of Siena showing us who the "big dogs" really are. I've heard absolutely nothing in the way of UAlbany advertising for the game or for season tickets. Truthfully, I'm disappointed in our marketing efforts.

Rodger Wyland had Coaches Brown and Lanier on his 11:30 show last night. Lanier was stoic, saying they had a 9 man rotation last year, with 8 of those guys returning and has the benefit of experience. Brown was more animated saying that we were much improved, with better size this year and could surprise people. Wyland tried to hint that maybe Jamar would play, but Brown flatly ruled it out.